Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    5/07/2006 5:49am

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108
    Psychology is just a branch of philosophy that likes to speak in psuedo-scientific terms.
    Give this man a horde of gorgeous bikini-clad K-Pop singers, a bowl of Kim Il Sung's own finest soju, and previously undiscovered primary sources on the relationship between 5 Ancestor Fist, White Crane and Okinawan te.
    Last edited by DAYoung; 5/07/2006 6:09am at .
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Posted On:
    5/07/2006 6:06am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaolinz
    I study philosophy as well. Alot of both are crap. We have entered an age were everyone attempts to disprove older philosophers without adding anything to the pot in fear of being ripped to shreds by their peers (there are a few people this generalization doesn't address but they are unique and not the norm).
    This is not an accurate statement, even as a generalisation. Most philosophers are not the slightest bit interested in disproving older philosophers. Usually their entire academic careers consist of re-interpreting these philosophers, and/or adding a few insights of their own. Even the most backwardly scornful postmodernists situate themselves historically. Yes, they are often fearful of being ripped to shreds, but this leads to anal-retentive exegeses and long-winded historical hermeneutics, not 'attempts to disprove older philosophers'.
    Last edited by DAYoung; 5/07/2006 6:18am at .

Posted On:
    5/07/2006 7:15am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean0r
    I'm not sure about that. I'd say rather that the problem with modern philosophy is that a lot of the areas that were of historical significance to philosophers have been relegated to other fields. Consequently, a lot of modern philosophy tends to incorporate those other fields. Philosophy of Mind without neuroscience is generally severely lacking. Similarly, ethical theory without psychology and sociology is generally lacking as well.
    At its best, philosophy approaches these 'areas...of historical significance' in a philosophical way. In other words, its essential character is not the areas it studies, but the way in which it studies these.

As for modern philosophers who have made an impact, though, I don't tend to agree. I mean, Being and Time was written only 80 years ago (in the grand scheme, that's very recent) and it's a work of tremendous importance and insight. Most recently, there is a lot of interesting stuff in philosophy of mind and science, ethical theory, and gender related/feminist philosophy. I did tend to see a lot of historians wearing their philosopher hat as they walk around the philosophy department, but at the same time, philosophy as we conceive it in the West is most definitely a Platonic dialogue. Philosophers build on their forefathers by responding to them in new and interesting ways. Of course, not everyone is smart or creative enough to respond to Heidegger in a really new and interesting way, but you can't fault the state of philosophy now with that.
    His deliberately misty Germanic ramblings have given too many Anglo-Saxons opportunity for irrelevant exegesis.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2006 7:32am

Style: Yang Taiji, Hsing-I

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DAYoung
    This is not an accurate statement, even as a generalisation. Most philosophers are not the slightest bit interested in disproving older philosophers. Usually their entire academic careers consist of re-interpreting these philosophers, and/or adding a few insights of their own. Even the most backwardly scornful postmodernists situate themselves historically. Yes, they are often fearful of being ripped to shreds, but this leads to anal-retentive exegeses and long-winded historical hermeneutics, not 'attempts to disprove older philosophers'.
    Of coure they aren't disproving the old guard, they're standing on their shoulders from the get-go. The golden age of discovery is over, this is the age of synthesis.

Plus, I think we learned long ago that competition in the field of TRUTH serves no one. This is how we get things like congress.

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    5/07/2006 7:33am

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If peng was a triangle, what kind of triangle would he be?

Posted On:
    5/07/2006 7:36am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by peng
    Of coure they aren't disproving the old guard, they're standing on their shoulders from the get-go.
    Agreed.

Plus, I think we learned long ago that competition in the field of TRUTH serves no one. This is how we get things like congress.
    A little agon in the service of truth can be fruitful. Still, 'point scoring' is stupid and counter-productive.

Posted On:
    5/07/2006 7:38am

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by peng
    Of coure they aren't disproving the old guard, they're standing on their shoulders from the get-go. The golden age of discovery is over, this is the age of synthesis.

Sure modernism, is, like, so dead. I mean, truth, man, its just so last century. (inhales from bong) All the cool kids are into, y'know, the cultural conversation. It's just, like, so not cool to have intellectual standards and stuff like that. You just end up oppressing other viewpoints by trying to disprove them, and that's so not cool for society and the cultural conversation.

New ideas? Hell no. Everything has been done, we're down to the Last Man. This is the end, dude. So just smoke up, chill out and stop y'know, thinking.
    He who attains his ideal by that very fact transcends it- Nietzsche

I like my Te like I like my tea- from Fujian province and without any bullshit in it. Oh, and green. And scented with jasmine blossoms...

Quote Originally Posted by A Better American Than You
    In every country and every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot.

Posted On:
    5/07/2006 7:39am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Locu5
    If peng was a triangle, what kind of triangle would he be?
    Am. Nerdy. Enough. As. Is.

Must. Not. Mention. The. Subjunctive. Case.
    Last edited by DAYoung; 5/07/2006 7:44am at .

Posted On:
    5/07/2006 7:43am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoardHitBack
    Sure modernism, is, like, so dead. I mean, truth, man, its just so last century. (inhales from bong) All the cool kids are into, y'know, the cultural conversation. It's just, like, so not cool to have intellectual standards and stuff like that. You just end up oppressing other viewpoints by trying to disprove them, and that's so not cool for society and the cultural conversation.

New ideas? Hell no. Everything has been done, we're down to the Last Man. This is the end, dude. So just smoke up, chill out and stop y'know, thinking.
    So depressing.

So true.

We need a new breed of philosophical ubermenschen, fed on equal portions of Aristotle and Nietzsche.

Posted On:
    5/07/2006 7:53am

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DAYoung
    We need a new breed of philosophical ubermenschen, fed on equal portions of Aristotle and Nietzsche.
    This beast exists. Norris eats the progeny of postmodernity for breakfast.

Then gets to work on those annoying twats who, whilst having only the most populist understanding of quatum physics, proceed to use the thories involved to justify philosophical positions.

Man should be given access to advanced military hardware.
    He who attains his ideal by that very fact transcends it- Nietzsche

I like my Te like I like my tea- from Fujian province and without any bullshit in it. Oh, and green. And scented with jasmine blossoms...

Quote Originally Posted by A Better American Than You
    In every country and every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot.