Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Your RBSD Cannot Save You Now.

Posted On:
    5/03/2006 11:48am

supporting member
     Style: Spanish Rapier/Epee/Foil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't argue with Tom Cruise, he knows the history of Psychiatry.

If you fight his oppinions, he will kill you and use you as a condom.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2006 11:51am

Style: Muay Thai , BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean0r
    I'm not sure we need to insult philosophy while insulting psych. How about we distinguish academic philosophy from new-age metaphysical crap philosophy?
    I study philosophy as well. Alot of both are crap. We have entered an age were everyone attempts to disprove older philosophers without adding anything to the pot in fear of being ripped to shreds by their peers (there are a few people this generalization doesn't address but they are unique and not the norm).

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    5/03/2006 12:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How about you go ponder your navel and STFU, hippy?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2006 12:04pm

Style: Muay Thai , BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Locu5
    How about you go ponder your navel and STFU, hippy?
    I prefer to never look directly at my navel... its scary.

Your RBSD Cannot Save You Now.

Posted On:
    5/03/2006 12:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Spanish Rapier/Epee/Foil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have created my own theor of psychology:

"Everyone is a crazy, evil bastard, to some degree, and there are no exceptions whatsoever. I am no different, and I have yet to meet anyone that fits the definition of 'sane'. Everyone has something wrong with them, and our disorders shape the trait we call 'personality'. We are doomed once Cthulhu breaks free."

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/03/2006 12:16pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I made it all the way to page 23 and still no video... wasn't that the point of the whole thread (at least the beginning)? Why tell everyone about the video you are going to put up, and then never put it up??

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2006 12:57pm

Style: Silat, Xingyiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaolinz
    I study philosophy as well. Alot of both are crap. We have entered an age were everyone attempts to disprove older philosophers without adding anything to the pot in fear of being ripped to shreds by their peers (there are a few people this generalization doesn't address but they are unique and not the norm).
    I'm not sure about that. I'd say rather that the problem with modern philosophy is that a lot of the areas that were of historical significance to philosophers have been relegated to other fields. Consequently, a lot of modern philosophy tends to incorporate those other fields. Philosophy of Mind without neuroscience is generally severely lacking. Similarly, ethical theory without psychology and sociology is generally lacking as well.

As for modern philosophers who have made an impact, though, I don't tend to agree. I mean, Being and Time was written only 80 years ago (in the grand scheme, that's very recent) and it's a work of tremendous importance and insight. Most recently, there is a lot of interesting stuff in philosophy of mind and science, ethical theory, and gender related/feminist philosophy. I did tend to see a lot of historians wearing their philosopher hat as they walk around the philosophy department, but at the same time, philosophy as we conceive it in the West is most definitely a Platonic dialogue. Philosophers build on their forefathers by responding to them in new and interesting ways. Of course, not everyone is smart or creative enough to respond to Heidegger in a really new and interesting way, but you can't fault the state of philosophy now with that.

Posted On:
    5/03/2006 1:28pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not sure about that. I'd say rather that the problem with modern philosophy is that a lot of the areas that were of historical significance to philosophers have been relegated to other fields. Consequently, a lot of modern philosophy tends to incorporate those other fields. Philosophy of Mind without neuroscience is generally severely lacking. Similarly, ethical theory without psychology and sociology is generally lacking as well.
    These new "social sciences" (y'know, the ones with highly subjective interpretions of data and different to Newtonian models in that there are generally a bucket load of exceptions to their laws) tend to have developed from specific areas of philosophical theory. Psychology is the bastard child of philosophy of mind- and, although I don't fall in the group that thinks so, sometimes considered unwanted. Philosophy of Mind without neuroscience...so the jury came in, did it?

As for modern philosophers who have made an impact, though, I don't tend to agree. I mean, Being and Time was written only 80 years ago (in the grand scheme, that's very recent) and it's a work of tremendous importance and insight. Most recently, there is a lot of interesting stuff in philosophy of mind and science, ethical theory, and gender related/feminist philosophy. I did tend to see a lot of historians wearing their philosopher hat as they walk around the philosophy department, but at the same time, philosophy as we conceive it in the West is most definitely a Platonic dialogue. Philosophers build on their forefathers by responding to them in new and interesting ways. Of course, not everyone is smart or creative enough to respond to Heidegger in a really new and interesting way, but you can't fault the state of philosophy now with that.
    Derrida responded in a really new and interesting way to Heidegger (amongst others), but the problem is not a lot of people really have got to grips with his work. Most academics and/or philosophers have looked at his work and somehow come to the conclusion deconstruction is a postmodern philosophy and robbed what they could to further their own philosophical agenda. This is indictative of the state of (post)modern philosophy now.
    Early feminist philosophy is pretty questionable IMO- what was wrong with egaliteratism (sic!). The clue is in the title concerning its politics too. Equality? Not the agenda. It served the empowerment of a few ambitious women using the relatively new voter base they created thru the emanciption, and the ability to utilise inheirted wealth to take hold of economic power on an individual basis. Feminism, like all political ideologies, was a means to an end for those who wanted political and economic power for themselves. The movement for social change was merely a vehicle for this, and the dogma that underpinned its ideology has been coming apart at the seams since that was achieved.
    Philosophy of science has gotten so much to work with in the past century, I've given up any hope of a serious attempt to keep up.

Goddam I can be a hippy.
    He who attains his ideal by that very fact transcends it- Nietzsche

I like my Te like I like my tea- from Fujian province and without any bullshit in it. Oh, and green. And scented with jasmine blossoms...

Quote Originally Posted by A Better American Than You
    In every country and every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    5/03/2006 1:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote
    I have created my own theor of psychology:

"Everyone is a crazy, evil bastard, to some degree, and there are no exceptions whatsoever. I am no different, and I have yet to meet anyone that fits the definition of 'sane'. Everyone has something wrong with them, and our disorders shape the trait we call 'personality'. We are doomed once Cthulhu breaks free."

"Being crazy used to mean something. Not anymore." -- Charles Manson.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2006 5:42am

Style: Yang Taiji, Hsing-I

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by eyebeams
    Folks like Peng? I don't like 'em.
    I like wrestling with pigs despite the fact that we both get dirty and only the pig REALLY likes it.