Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    5/02/2006 2:08pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Freakshow
    Ummm....no. What matters is what can be consistently reproduced in a controlled setting (I mean "controlled" from a perspective of the scientific method, in case any anti-mma "the UFC is a controlled environment, not like teh str33t" people are reading this). Personal anecdotes do not matter, as they are heavily susceptible to personal feelings, selection bias, and lack of any controls in the experiment.
    DING!

We have a winner!
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

software engineer

Posted On:
    5/02/2006 2:38pm

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108
    Psychology is just a branch of philosophy that likes to speak in psuedo-scientific terms.
    /shrug/ as long as you cross train with brain and cog sciences, it's not so bad.
    52 blocks documentary: arrived

"Joe Lauzon looks like a quiet, Internet guy..." -- Dana White

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2006 2:50pm

Style: kb, tapping, jjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Psychology is just a branch of philosophy that likes to speak in psuedo-scientific terms.
    I think behavioural psych would be a soft science. You can put pigeons in a Skinner box and apply rewards/punishments for their behaviour and come up with a repeatable range of statistics, given a large enough sample. It's just not a hard science because a single deviation doesn't disprove a theory, as it would in chemistry or physics.

I, for one, would like to put peng in a box with a wire wrapped around his pubic bone. A mild shock when he's naughty (omg internal energeez!!!! teh body electric!!). Every now and then throw him a ho-cake for good behaviour.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2006 4:03pm

Style: Box, Kickbox, No-gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDChick
    DING!

We have a winner!
    Yeah, that's why they pay me the big bucks. Because I understand all this "science" stuff. :cool:

Now, if only getting paid the big bucks didn't involve leaving myself no time or energy to get back into serious training. (Working out a couple times a month for fun does not count, in my book.) :icon_sad:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2006 4:32pm

Style: Muay Thai , BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For 90% of it I'd agree with you. Thankfully I do experimental psychology, where we can actually do studies. Currently, I'm trying to establish heuristics for video game design ;)

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    5/02/2006 4:36pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Understood.

The irony is that the other 90% is crap by even philosophy standards due to lack of logic.

The r34l Drunken Jiu Jitsu

Posted On:
    5/02/2006 4:37pm

supporting member
     Style: _razilian _iu _itsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Too bad I convinced my brother to switch his major to psych when comp sci wasn't working out for him...
    :google:

Number of bottles of beer downed by me and my girlfriend within a half hour while playing the Channel 7 "how many times will they say 'snow' game" during the "Blizzard of '06": 3.5 each.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2006 5:02pm

Style: Muay Thai , BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Understood.

The irony is that the other 90% is crap by even philosophy standards due to lack of logic.
    Much like peng: They have a theory, then they make a study to affirm their theory. If they don't affirm their theory they make new studies untill they do affirm their theory. I've read through tons of worthless literature with horribly designed studies that only barely show evidence for their conclusion. Ugh.. I hate the rest of my field...

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    5/02/2006 6:35pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Waves to Freakshow. . . .

Now if only we could get that clown Kilik to show up. For the rest of you, that guy would last about an hour before various posters would hunt him down and/or the Admins would send him to Trollshido so fast a cliche would happen.

He likes to spam boards with various pseudoscientific crap--like "Qi Gong is Prehistoric!" My favorite was one where he claimed a video of an "invincible Chi Master" who could not be knocked down if he stood on one-foot and held a cup of tea. I wish I was making it up.

Right, for the rest, way back the books I recommended to Peng are very good for explaining why investigators have to apply a scientific method. There are different levels of claim here.

--J.D.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2006 11:37am

Style: Silat, Xingyiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not sure we need to insult philosophy while insulting psych. How about we distinguish academic philosophy from new-age metaphysical crap philosophy?