Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 10:14am

Style: Gracie Barra Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Arm Break during Sub Attempt

Well I bet your wondering was it my arm, well no. It was the arm of a fellow judo guy and feel bad about it. I was in guard and mad him post an arm while I was breaking his posture and I hit a locked kimura(ude garami), now this guy is stronger than me so I guess he was thinking to posutre and pull out. When I start to roll him for the kimura sweep because he hadnt tapped his arm straightened and we heard a loud set of popping. This guy is only 19 so he was real tuff about it he didnt yelp or whine, but he did say it hurt alot. He could move it but all the pain was in the elbow.

Now my question is, should I have felt so bad about this, or is he to blame for not tapping in time. He did say he should have just tapped. Hes probably going to be out for a couple of weeks and I felt so bad that I offered to pay for half of his medical bills if he incures any. And is my dojo rep busted now because of this, I'm already looked at differently because I've done bjj and I more focused on my ground work than my standing there.
    Eduardo "Why'd you stop."

Me "I was kicked in the head by the guys sparring next to me."

Eduardo "Ino what happened but i didnt say you could stop."

Me "Um.. I guess I keep going."

Eduardo "You dont stop until i say stop, you dont get tired until i say your tired, keep going."

Originally posted by Ralek
    My cousin gave me some tapes of him doing tkd. I learned from those tapes. When I beat up an Akido instructor, and made him take rest breaks, I used TKD. I learned Bjj from watching ufc and pride and then I copied them and wrestled my cousin for practice. I choked him out and he tapped.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 10:58am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Villain
    Your dojo rep should be fine if you don't make a habit of it. Its always been my understanding that accidents happen. I've got a pretty good record with one injured partner in 7 years, but when I'm injured myself, which happens much more frequently, I don't hold it against the guy. Its a dangerous sport.
    Ditto, you typically get a bad rep when your a rolling tard or ass. Honestly, if you were in control and not freaking out while appling the technique it is your partners fault for not tapping in time. It is a different story if you locked the kimura and simply rolled into it full force without considering the dire position your partner was in, i.e., not giving him the opportuniy to tap.

For example, I love me some leg locks, heel hooks, toe holds, etc. and once I have the heel hook locked in I slowly apply the pressure to give my partner time to tap (if he happens to roll out of it or I loose my grip its no biggie, Im not there to hurt anyone).

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 12:56pm

Style: Sandbagged BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everyone gets hurt when doing sports. It's part of the game. In my experience, most people have to learn to tap the hard way; usually by some popping noises in the arm.
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 1:25pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pay for half his medical bill? Doesn't that fifty-something annual fee you pay to the USJF/USJA/USJI give you medical coverage in the event of a judo related injury, or is your club not in either of those organizations?

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 1:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    actually we are associated with USJF/USJA/USJI and they should pay, its just I had to say something to make me feel better.

Eduardo "You dont stop until i say stop, you dont get tired until i say your tired, keep going."

My cousin gave me some tapes of him doing tkd. I learned from those tapes. When I beat up an Akido instructor, and made him take rest breaks, I used TKD. I learned Bjj from watching ufc and pride and then I copied them and wrestled my cousin for practice. I choked him out and he tapped.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 2:48pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** happens.

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 2:53pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Feel bad, but don't blame yourself. Apologize, but note that this incident could have been avoided if he had tapped. **** does happen. Just make sure it doesn't happen consistently.

Posted On:
    5/24/2006 10:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well it's official after 1 month of him not being at training someone finally has said that he has a torn ligament, and he's mad about the injury. They didnt say he was mad at me but I wouldn't doubt it.

And things have been fine at the dojo.

This guy wont be coming back until july so I feel really bad about the lost training. He's also choosen to not get it fixed, is this bad?

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/24/2006 11:23am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    not to sound all Dr Phil here - but was your intention to hurt this guy, or were you out of control.... sounds like an honest accident to me that is just part of the game. If he's mad - oh well - and if he doesn't take the medical steps to get this fixed then that's really his problem - not yours (assuming it's covered under insurance - and if it's not - he should have known the risks coming into this).

I've been injured accidentally, when people spaz out and intentionally - they all suck but when it's an accident there are never any hard feellings towards the person who did it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2006 3:14pm

Style: Submission wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** happens, man. As long as it wasn't on purpose, i have yet to injure anyone, but in the Judo tourneys, people get hurt all the time, same for BJJ, it's been said, but it's a dangerous sport.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast