Posted On:
    5/12/2003 10:11pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Has anyone got this guys videos?

http://www.catchwrestle.com/index1.htm

Does anyone know anything about catch wrestling?

--------
    El Guapo says, ""You can buy muscles, but you can't buy COJONES!"
    --------
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2003 10:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TTT.
    WTF is the difference between catch wrestling and submission wrestling?
    Somebody please enlighten us.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2003 12:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Tony Cecchine is the world's foremost practicing authority on Catch As Catch Can Wrestling (Catch Wrestling). He has recently been recognized as the leading exponent of Catch Wrestling by the World Head of Family Sokeship Council, an organization that reviews and votes on the absolute greatest martial artists of different styles."

Nuff said.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/13/2003 12:34am

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was really impressed with one of the videos on his site, about hand holds. We're taught to grab our wrist when holding someine in a clinch, he showed proof that if you use the hand in hand, or both hands holding to each other, that the pressure you create is more intense. Pretty neat stuff. I was actually gonna do some research in it. Glad you brought it up.

==================
    "When we go to the ground, you are in my world. The ground is the ocean, I am the shark, and most people don't even know how to swim." RCJ Machado
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2003 2:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is what I found with google search.

"The first style of Catch Wrestling, or ‘catch-as-catch-can’, was Lancashire catch from England. A highly effective art of submission it was sometimes referred as ‘hooking’ because of the submission holds being called ‘hooks’.

With the British control of America the art also traveled there, and mixing with the wrestling styles of other ethnic groups such as the Russians, Scots and Chinese began America’s golden age of Catch Wrestling. In the mid to late 1800’s wrestlers such as Martin “Farmer” Burns emerged and began to teach the art of catch. One of his students, Frank Gotch (no relation to Karl), went on to become the world champion and many consider him the best Catch Wrestler who ever lived.

The art of Catch Wrestling first came to the attention of the Japanese through the many style Vs style matches that "hookers" participated in. They really started to take notice when American catch stylist and World Light Heavyweight Champion Ad Santel defeated 5th dan Judo player Tokugoro Ito in 1914. Santel then claimed to be ‘World Judo Champion’ and the arts founder Jigoro Kano sent Daisuke Sakai (4th dan) to face him, but he too was defeated. Santel went on to defeat other Japanese fighters including Reijiro Nagata (5th dan) in March of 1921. These wins fascinated the Japanese and many became eager to learn the art of "hooking".

During the mid 1900’s catch wrestling in the west became almost totally "worked" and continued to progress to the point where it is now unrecognizable in comparison to the original art. It is sad that while the "shoot" style of catch has almost died out in it’s original form, the "show" style has mutated in to the likes of the hugely popular WWF, WCW and ECW."

Now, I wouldn't write off this story a bullshit. I distinctly remember reading a similar story of judoka being defeated by catch wrestler in judo forum. Plus Lanchashire origin of catch wrestling seems to be legit. So catch wrestling did exist.

However, whether catch wrestling survived past 50 years is separate issue.. It is so easy for someone with moderate experience in amature wrestling to adopt wrestling into more combat oriented arts and simply call it as catch wrestling.

Taking a break

Posted On:
    5/13/2003 2:49am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Catch wrestling still exists in lancashire, and cumberland wwrestling still takes place as part of the Highland Games.
    Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/13/2003 3:06am

supporting member
     Style: kyoku-shin, boun-shin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "cumberland wwrestling still takes place as part of the Highland Games"

As I understand Cumberland Wrestling, you have to keep your hands clinched around your opponent or lose the match. Which would make it an interesting diversion but a useless fighting style.

Taking a break

Posted On:
    5/13/2003 5:25am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By itself it may be useless, but the principles you can learn from it are very useful. Also, it doesn't really take much thought to apply it in a more realistic way.
    Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Marasmos

Posted On:
    5/13/2003 11:59am

supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I have recently had a chance to train with a guy who does catch wresting, as well as bjj, and let me tell you it's no bullshit. It's a highly effective submission wrestling art with ***excellent*** takedowns. It incorporates seemlessly into bjj or any other groundgame, and would be an excellent addition to just about anyones arsenal.

Tony Cecchine, never competed in professional MMA events himself, but a number of prominent fighters from the bigger venues did train with him, so aparently there's some legitimacy to this guy. I would very much suggest not writing this off as bullshit.
    You say what about my rice?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2003 12:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It looks good to me too. Does anyone have the video to give a review?
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast