Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/07/2006 12:33am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey. You need .......to.........respect.......his....edu Bwahahahahahahaaha..

Sorry.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2006 12:35am

Style: Muay Thai , BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But can you defend yourself with Shaolin-Do?

DON’T WORRY PARENTS I don’t teach the kids these techniques until they get old enough to understand when it’s OK to use them. We really focus on this material in the adult Kung Fu Class.
    People visiting our school will ask whether Kung Fu is good for self-defense. They have heard that martial artists are often caught off-guard in fights or dangerous situations. Other arts claim to teach the “reality” combat techniques and then you see that they wrap up their hands like boxers and spar with rules about where they can hit and parts of their body they can hit with.
    The unfortunate truth is that in the situation where you have to defend yourself, there are no rules and there are only two kinds of fights; the ones you fight “dirty” and the ones you loose. In Shaolin-Do we teach you to use every advantage you possess. In a life-threatening situation, this advantage is often the fact that you WILL do what it takes to defend yourself; without rules or silly illusions that there is a right and wrong way to defend yourself.
    One time a student asked why we were so obsessed with striking the groin in our self-defense techniques. What a silly question. The answer of course is because a groin strike works! One of my students was talking with a friend about self-defense and when she commented that we strike the groin, her friend said that this was the lowest type of fighting and that is was dishonorable; as if fighting was a game with rules that we enter for fun.
    The Shaolin monks were happy to go their entire life without fighting. Since fighting was the last resort, it was serious and required only one outcome; complete devastation of the person trying to harm them. Could they choose to not injure their attacker? Yes, but they had a lifetime to master fighting skill; you do not have that luxury. Therefore, worry first about defending yourself. The safety of your attacker cannot enter your mind.

The 3 principles of Shaolin-Do self-defense techniques.
    1. Blend with Force
    2. If you can’t yield, then block force (use leverage)
    3. Attack the weakest points of the body (nothing fancy).

Class practice of course helps

Go with force!
    Our instinct tells us to resist an attack, but this is not the smart way. If our attacker is stronger than us, or overwhelms us quickly with surprise, then resisting will not work. Instead, if you learn to neutralize the attack by yielding then you can make your solution work in almost every situation.

Basic Force #1 PULL

Someone simply pulls on your wrist. Rather than you attacking, you can just let them pull that side of your body forward and hit their solar plexus with the pointy part of your elbow. The harder they pull, the harder they get hit. The solar plexus is the second largest gathering of nerves in the body (you are using the largest collection of nerves to read this article).

They Pull Your Wrist
    You Elbow Their Solar Plexus

Basic Force #2 PUSH

The lesson from #1 is to yield to force. So in this one we step back as they push in. That way they hit into emptiness. By weaving our arms between theirs, we make sure they don’t touch us and they fall further off balance. We follow up by slamming our palms to their ears (don’t do this to someone unless you want them have severe pain, ear damage, and lose the ability to stand). Then hold on to their head and drive either knee to their groin.

You step back from push
    Chop their neck
    Knee the groin
    And open their arms

Use Leverage #3 grab from behind
    This is a multi-step solution. Once they let you go, you can run, no need to finish the technique unless you are looking to teach a lesson (joking of course)

- First stick your hind end out strongly. This will pop their groin enough to startle and them and hopefully loosen their attack.

- Next look down to make sure not to miss and stomp the heck out of their foot with your heel.
    - Then use that same leg to step back around behind yourself and both of their legs. Make sure to go as far as possible to end in a strong “Horse riding” stance.
    - Now stand up straight and hammer their groin at least 3 times (for good measure)

- Finally, use the arm that is in front of their body to turn and point behind you. This will drive them over your lead leg and make them fall.

Stick your rear end out
    Stomp their foot
    step around behind them
    Pound their groin
    throw them backwards

You will learn these precise techniques the first time you come to try a free class at Shaolin-Do (in the Kung Fu program). I recommend you do not try these at home until you have been taught them properly under our supervision. Over the next 12 months of classes you will learn at least 30 no-nonsense solutions to common attacks. This is some of the most valuable information you will get in our school as a beginner.
    Email to arrange a free class at our school. Why not find out how empowering it feels to have this kind of knowledge and confidence.

North Austin 837-9307, Master Joe Schaefer
    South Austin 326-2989, Sifu Paul Davis

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2006 12:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyone tell me why I never ever wanted to set foot in this school again?

Posted On:
    5/08/2006 12:17am

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, he left out step 4:

Melt the baby...
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/08/2006 12:42am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow you are really going along way to making me questions which side is actually worse.

Although, I have a story that is just as bad as the Baby Melting about Ie Chang Ming.

No, I won't share. All I'll say is take the number of supposed forms and multiply it by 2.

Posted On:
    5/08/2006 1:13pm

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake??
    Wow you are really going along way to making me questions which side is actually worse.

Although, I have a story that is just as bad as the Baby Melting about Ie Chang Ming.

No, I won't share. All I'll say is take the number of supposed forms and multiply it by 2.
    Oooooo, this I gotta see. PM me if you don't want to post it publicly.
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/08/2006 1:33pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is sent.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2006 6:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TRUE POWER
    2000 year old self-help advice
    Martial Arts might just be the perfect tool for personal development. I know quite a bit about the students in my school. They have the average age of 33 years old and are seeking fitness, personal achievement, and self-defense as a by product and secondary to the first two goals. I never tire of hearing their stories of transformation and life-changing experience with the art of Shaolin-Do.

One of my female black belts teaches a musical instrument to young people in private lessons, but never had the confidence to attempt a performing career. 5 years after starting Shaolin-Do she is trying things and putting herself on the line in ways she never dreamed of.

Where is the magic?
    The formula is simple. My role as your teacher is to push you beyond what you thought you could do, but not so far that you get scared and quit. This ULTRA simple approach combined with a beautifully progressive curriculum, insures that you constantly increase the confidence in yourself and your abilities.

Every night you walk out of my classroom feeling: capable, energized, on the move and successful!

How fast does it work?
    It may take years to fix the holes in your self-esteem and confidence. Self-doubt is a powerful negative influence and Shaolin-Do will work to make many deposits in your personal power bank account over the course of years. Compared to the chance that you might never change, any transformation is next to miraculous.

Recently one of my students passed the exam to get his second degree black belt (requires at least 4.5 years). Since he began he has also enrolled his two sons (one of which is now a black belt as well). I asked him if he had ever believed that he would be this dedicated to something like martial arts. He stated that it never was in his wildest dreams, but that he couldn't imagine life without it now.

DEFEAT your greatest single enemy!
    There is only one single thing keeping most people from ever reaching their dreams; and that is FEAR! Let's repeat that. Fear is the ONLY thing keeping you and everyone else from fulfilling the dreams of childhood. Well Shaolin-Do will peel back your fears and self-doubts one-by-one. In their place you will find many personal and public victories earned within the walls of my school.

Self-Esteem is EVERYTHING
    If you have ever read the works of Psychologist Nathanial Brandon among others you will find that the things you think about yourself are the most powerful controlling force in your life. Most undesirable outcomes in our lives can be traced to our poor self-image and the things we do to protect ourselves from being exposed. Well, that is a fear you can never truly outrun. Why not find an activity that is fun, good for you, teaches you self-defense and best of all reinvents your self-image.

BEWARE
    In the wrong martial art school you might actually get an even worse self-image. The teacher must be experienced enough to know what you are and aren't capable of. This way the teacher can lead you through a class that pushes you, but with not outside your abilities. I have been teaching almost 20 years and have earned the complete trust of my students. They know that I would not ask them to attempt something unless they were capable of doing it. Therefore they leave each and every class feeling Successful!

Stop by the school or email to further discuss this most exciting aspect of Shaolin-Do training.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567