Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 7:37am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had someone try this yesterday on me. I like to grab their head and pull myself up by it in this case. It creates some extra pressure as well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 10:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    just a white belt here. Maybe try grab your ankle of the leg going across then releasing the figure 4/leg triangle and using foot on the hip as you scoot back. Then slap on the triangle once in a better position.

I am not a guard guru and guard is probably my weakest game, just throwing the thought out there.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 10:47am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aesopian
    Did you try, oh, underhooking his leg and pulling yourself to it then LOLing as he sweeps himself?

This was my first thought as well.

Because I did this exact same thing against a much heavier person on Weds. night.

During our drill we start in a triangle, but the opponent has his arm bent doward - not across - in the omoplata set up. But starting here the guy has his posture and base.

From experience I know that if you let a guy start his stack it can be difficult to finish, and it can be hard on your neck.

Here is what I did/do:

Reach down and grab both ankles and start trying to move him with just my hips. This will rock his base and cause him to step forward or back. Whatever leg is left forward I switch my grip. From just holding the ankle, to going behind it. Then I make a big sweeping circle upward toward my shoulder with that arm. In effect I am trying to get his leg fully extended. Then he has to sort of sit down. I roll to that side and sit on his head to finish the triangle.

A lot of guys will try to sweep OVER thier head with that grip. I find that it ..hard.. on my neck if they are stacking me. I'll do it but it isn't my favorite because too much pressure on my neck makes me grumpy the next day.

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 7:31pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What happened to your purple belt??

Anyways, one of the little techniques I use when people try to stack and smash me out of triangles is to lift your shoulders off the ground- its a simple and effective technique that you might like.

Whenever someone can smash you and stack you in half, it makes it very difficult to reposition your hips and finish/close the triangle. When someone does this, arch your head on the ground so as to take your shoulders off the mat- this way, you can "walk" backwards as your opponent presses into you. Sometimes guys are persistent when they try to stack you, so go a little bit at a time- lift your shoulders and slide back, make a slight adjustment, rinse and repeat.

I cant remember the last time someone stacked me out of a triangle, and now that I think about it, it often occurs when you stop in the middle of the technique to relax. Its a common reaction to quit and take a breather when you feel you've just about got a technique on- examples would be relaxing your hamstrings when you jump a triangle or relaxing/letting your lower back slouch when you pass the leg for an armbar from the guard. Pausing in the middle of your technique could be a reason why your opponent is able to stack you and escape you. Try these and see if they work- they work like a charm for me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 7:46pm

Style: judo, boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Reality is a stack ain't pretty but it worked obviously!

Smtms vryn gts hng p n hw thngs ght t wrk nd thy frgt thngs r nt prfct n cmbt, rgrdls f whr y r fghtng, wht y rnk s, r ny thr fctr. Bd $$ gt thr tls kckd ll th tm nd vn th Grcs hv lst fw.
    tk vryn's dvc wth grn f slt. xcpt fr th bldng strngth prt, bcs smtms msclng thrgh s th nly thng y gt.
    Last edited by Aesopian; 4/28/2006 9:43pm at .

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 8:11pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is a random bit of advice Cavalcanti told me about triangles:

Sometimes they take some time to finish. Don't squeeze the knees and pull on the head, then stop for a second to catch your breath, and then repeat with the squeezing. Think of it like drowning someone. You don't hold thier head underwater, then relax and let them up to catch thier breath a second and then force them back under. Your triangle should be full effort until you get the submission. Because alternating effort and relaxation takes its toll - AND - gives them time to escape - AND - gives them hope if theythink they can keep holding off between your squeezes.

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    4/29/2006 5:37am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumby
    What happened to your purple belt??

Anyways, one of the little techniques I use when people try to stack and smash me out of triangles is to lift your shoulders off the ground- its a simple and effective technique that you might like.

Whenever someone can smash you and stack you in half, it makes it very difficult to reposition your hips and finish/close the triangle. When someone does this, arch your head on the ground so as to take your shoulders off the mat- this way, you can "walk" backwards as your opponent presses into you. Sometimes guys are persistent when they try to stack you, so go a little bit at a time- lift your shoulders and slide back, make a slight adjustment, rinse and repeat.

I cant remember the last time someone stacked me out of a triangle, and now that I think about it, it often occurs when you stop in the middle of the technique to relax. Its a common reaction to quit and take a breather when you feel you've just about got a technique on- examples would be relaxing your hamstrings when you jump a triangle or relaxing/letting your lower back slouch when you pass the leg for an armbar from the guard. Pausing in the middle of your technique could be a reason why your opponent is able to stack you and escape you. Try these and see if they work- they work like a charm for me.
    The bolded is what I find myself doing often. I go for triangles from guard all the time. It was one of the first subs I actually got on people as they gracie gifted me in regular JJ training.

I usually end up just moving my torso though. My legs are stuck to him basically, and as long as I have strength left in my abs, I can move my torso to either side to avoid being stacked on my neck. If he DOES push like mad for the stack, then he will most likely open for what Aesopian mentioned, hooking the leg and watching him tumble over.
    More human than human is our motto.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    4/29/2006 1:19pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    Sometimes they take some time to finish. Don't squeeze the knees and pull on the head, then stop for a second to catch your breath, and then repeat with the squeezing. Think of it like drowning someone. You don't hold thier head underwater, then relax and let them up to catch thier breath a second and then force them back under. Your triangle should be full effort until you get the submission. Because alternating effort and relaxation takes its toll - AND - gives them time to escape - AND - gives them hope if theythink they can keep holding off between your squeezes.
    I've missed triangles for this reason before.
    And then you're so goddamn tired that they're on side and then mount in no time.

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    5/01/2006 11:11pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    I've missed triangles for this reason before.
    And then you're so goddamn tired that they're on side and then mount in no time.
    :hijackp:

So 2 years ago when Im at the Pan Ams as a blue belt, my instructor works me in at a table as a scorekeeper on sunday (when the black belts fight). Early in the day purple belts were up and one match on my mat I thought was kinda funny.

Fight starts off and quickly goes to the ground. The guy on bottom quickly slaps on a triangle and closes it. The guy on top is fighting for his life- you can hear his team and friends crowding behind me cheering him on to escape. After no less than 5 minutes inside the closed triangle, he finally manages to escape when his opponent can no longer hold on. His team is going wild- he escaped the triangle and got to cross side. Hes up by 3 points, and theres less than 2 minutes left in the match. OMG look at that! Hes not defending his leg! So genious in side control takes advantage of the situation and applies a kneebar to secure the tap and the win- The crowd goes wild!!!

Ref stands them up, puts the fighters on their respective sides of the mat and raises the other guys hand- nice kneebar, you're disqualified.:violent1:

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    5/01/2006 11:37pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    About the whole hooking his leg and letting him fall over thing. When I get triangled I stack and try to put my leg over his head and then pop up( some people just fall back but I feel I stay in top control when I just arch up to pop the legs open).

Anyway whenever someone does that to me I just re-adjust my position and end up popping out of the triangle, I rarely get swept. I end up in a reverse back mount, they are face down and I am straddling them facing the rear.

Maybe it succeeds in spite of its crappiness or maybe not, has anyone else done this?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast