Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/06/2006 3:46pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At the CMU Grappling Club, we posted a few half guard manuvers. Here are my favorite half guard sweeps:

I think those two sweeps are sweeter than sweet. If someone is flattening you down, I use this grappler sit-up counter; if your opponent is holding cross body it still works too. I am genetically programmed to dig for the underhook whenever I get half guard or if someone is trying for half guard on me. If my opponent has it instead, I find pumelling or swimming my arm inside works well. You can use a lockdown to help stablize your opponent, but he will eventually break out of the lockdown if you plan on using it for stalling.

These techniques worked well for me in competition with and without the gi. I like them because they are very very simple. You don't have to be exactly perfect to score a sweep. They roll into each other too so if someone is countering the driving sweep (like holding onto you) you can switch to the driving sweep and vice versa.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    6/06/2006 5:12pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My only problem with those 2 is that they are predicated on getting the underhook. Difficult to do on someone who knows half guard. And nowadays with the brabo choke coming into vogue you have to be mad carefull with sweeps like these.

Posted On:
    6/06/2006 7:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good points Yrkoon9. The Brabo choke has killed a lot of half-guard no-gi sweeps.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/06/2006 9:59pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is it just me or has the popularity of the half butterfly guard grown in proportion to the success of the brabo choke? Because that hook is how I avoid it.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/06/2006 11:00pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyS
    Good points Yrkoon9. The Brabo choke has killed a lot of half-guard no-gi sweeps.
    According to my instructor, to counter the brabo choke:

The key thing is to be very low on his body. Throw him up, move yourself down. I also try to get my underhook very deep and hug close with my head right nest to his stomach. This also makes your arm lower. Now when he overhooks, he can't reach your head.

Also, sometimes when you feel him doing it, instead of grabbing around his hip with your underhook, grab around his leg like a single leg. You can also arch your head back like you're looking up. He wants you looking down and, the main thing you're looking for when he does it is to roll him over because he can't post out on that side.

I will play with this at practice tomorrow.

Posted On:
    6/07/2006 12:44am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your instructor is correct frodo. Unfortunately it's not always possible to get deep and get the underhook around their leg straight away.

Still digging on James Brown

Posted On:
    6/07/2006 4:08am

Style: BJJ & Judo (1k)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, everyone elses way of playing half guard seems really different from how it's done at my club.

Posted On:
    6/07/2006 5:41am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Forgot to say "Thanks". I was playing with this sweep recently in some half-guard-centric BJJ sessions recently, and it was really very successful for me. So successful in fact that I'm getting tempted to deliberately take half guard more often...

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    6/07/2006 11:42am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is how half guard plays out many times:

Top man starts to pass. Usually by driving through the center pinning the hips of the bottom guy. Bottom guy grabs half guard and begins to either a) get the butterfly hook underneath for some lift or b) tries to get under the top guy by reaching or c) gets totally shut down and flattened.

I can't begin to go into the various combinations of what could happen. But it important to note that most of the time one of those 3 usually happen with competent grapplers engaging.

If the bottom guy gets the butterfly hook all kinds of crazy **** can happen. This seems to be the most wildly unpredictable situation IMO.

If the bottom guy gets under the top guy with a reach for things like the electric chair (Bravo) and whatnot the bottom guy seems to have quite an advantage in options.

If the bottom guy gets flattened out he is screwed. His work becomes exponentially harder.

My half guard bottom game is very basic and still under development. Short guys like Marcelo Garcia seem to have an advantage on us long guys in thier ability to get under someone. So the butterfly hook is better for me, but again can create wildly unpredictable situations.

My point:

With a 34 inch inseam I have long legs. That works to my advantage when on top in half guard. Guys that like to reach under find themselves really reaching when I stretch my leg back. When they reach they are exposed to the brabo. Even if I don't get it the panic that the bottom guy experience causes him to try to pop his head out. That is when I flatten him out. Then he is in real trouble as I sit down next to him, hook the head, hook under his leg and begin the most basic of half guard passes.\

Now on the prospect of getting an underhook on the same side you have half guard: Tough on competent grapplers as nobody wants to give up underarm control. Everyone swims. Nobody wants to give thier back. And when the bottom guy does get underhook, the top guy knows to flip his leg back into an almost-knee-bar position and sit in reverse kesa gatame while putting pressure on the bottom guys chest. Bottom guy tries to roll top guy. Top guy posts out with his untrapped leg behind him. Top guy stabilizes and drives his elbow between them and gets the underhook and flattens him, or simply stays in reverse kesa threatening a kneebar.

Still digging on James Brown

Posted On:
    6/07/2006 1:53pm

Style: BJJ & Judo (1k)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Brabo choke is like an upside down kata gatame, right?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast