Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    5/22/2006 10:31am

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aesopian
    When I use lockdown with the overhook I can practically guarantee that I'm going to stall out the rest of the match getting flattened out and crossfaced. Maybe I would just get a better understanding of how to use the lockdown to break their base, but I've enjoyed putting the hook in and opening up guard instead.
    My biggest success with using the lockdown is, once I've got it, doing a "reverse situp", like trying to bring my knees to my chest. This "floats" their weight over me, much like elevating with the butterfly hook does. From there I get tons of sweeps.

As a bonus, if you go under their other leg with your arm and punch upwards to get it over your shoulder, you can basically use it exactly like X-guard, with all the sweeps associated thereto.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/22/2006 10:34am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I understand your concern about them passing while you're escaping your hips (and it is possible), but I wouldn't consider it a big enough threat to make the butterfly hook dangerous to put it for several reason:

You do have the "inside" leg blocking them from passing by catching the back of their knee/calf.

You can always just reclose the half guard if you feel their leg coming out.

They'll almost always need to lift their hips to pass, making it easier to put the hook in. This is actually one of the main uses of the hook -- stopping a half guard pass when they've got the underhook.

And I have no idea how there is any risk of your back being taken.
    As I am lying on my office floor pitifully reenacting the position........your right, once the danger of a pass is recognized your could lock half guard back up and start over.

"Taking the back" was not the right term. It's more of a traditional guard pass to full mount by pulling your leg through because the person is presumably on his/her side after skipping the hip out to get the butterfly.

Again though, as you point out, if your quick to respond it would not be too hard to stop the leg from sliding through to full.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/22/2006 10:44am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If he's coming to full mount, just step on his hip. Or put the hook in, since he's still got to lift his hips to get his knee out of half guard. Even just the angle of your hips doesn't allow for him to easily drive his knee through to mount.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    5/22/2006 10:49am

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find this sweep and variants like it work very well on chest heavy judoka. Most Judo passes are pressure oriented so they tend to lead with chest and empasize upper body strength to control the bottom man.

I have problems because I have thicker legs so butterfly guard variants are difficult to pull off. I do have good success with this half guard variant only if I adhere to GB's advice of getting the hips out a little.

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    5/22/2006 11:01am

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fatherdog
    My biggest success with using the lockdown is, once I've got it, doing a "reverse situp", like trying to bring my knees to my chest. This "floats" their weight over me, much like elevating with the butterfly hook does. From there I get tons of sweeps.

As a bonus, if you go under their other leg with your arm and punch upwards to get it over your shoulder, you can basically use it exactly like X-guard, with all the sweeps associated thereto.
    That's how Bull taught us to sweep with it. We spent a lot of time just drilling the motion itself since it proved a bit counter-intuitive.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    5/22/2006 11:01am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I use lockdown with the overhook I can practically guarantee that I'm going to stall out the rest of the match getting flattened out and crossfaced. Maybe I would just get a better understanding of how to use the lockdown to break their base, but I've enjoyed putting the hook in and opening up guard instead.
    Once your training partners figure out what you're doing with it, this is indeed the case. I had a lot of success for awhile using lockdown but have become stagnant lately in fact:
    I think trying to make lockdown work right set my game back by months.
    I still am able to get back fairly often on even decent whitebelts but the other blues and up have pretty much shut me down.

I had no idea this was eddie bravo stuff though.
    That makes me feel gay.

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    5/22/2006 1:36pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    I had no idea this was eddie bravo stuff though.
    That makes me feel gay.
    Hehe. Oh come on.

I barely knew what half-guard was before I saw Bravo. I'll ride his nuts til kingdom come.
    More human than human is our motto.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/22/2006 1:47pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fanatical
    Hehe. Oh come on.

I barely knew what half-guard was before I saw Bravo. I'll ride his nuts til kingdom come.
    HA!, true, I thought half guard was an annoying transition position that I happened to always get stuck in for a bit, not an actual position from which sweeps and submissions could be specifically set up and performed from (top or bottom).

Probably a difference between the focus of my JJ training and BJJ. Make room on the Bravo nut saddle for me too fanatical.

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    5/22/2006 1:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bull has built most of his game around the halfguard (and kimura). I think it fits his overall body type and strategery well. His OG is no joke, though. For me, I am still racing for the underhook or fighting to get to my side against good players. Mat time mat time mat time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2006 2:04pm

Style: non-aliveness BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fock da lockdown.....1/2 butterfly (1/2 guard with 1 butterfly hook) is the way to go for *ME*
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast