Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/27/2006 2:13pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My Favorite Half Guard Sweep

Continuing the "Aesopian is more awesome than you'll ever be" trend, I've decided to post a half guard sweep I've had sitting around for a while now. Or maybe it's a half butterfly guard sweep. You decide while I just go with that title anyway:One point I want to bring to your attention is how I've fallen deeply in love with this position.

For the longest time, I kept trying to do the "underhook-and-take-the-back" half guard because that's how it's usually taught, and I've seen a lot of guys do well with it. I've even done pretty well with it. But I got really tired of the fight for the underhook and getting my head crossfaced off when more often than not I found myself on the losing end of the underhook battle.

Eduardo teaches putting the hook in when that happens because it helps you create space and prevent them from passing. So I just went with this and it quickly became a huge part of my game. With the hook in from half guard (what some call "half butterfly guard") I can now unite my three favorite guards: half, butterfly and x-guard. You can get to this position from any of those guard, and you can pass through this position to go from any one of them to the other.

Here's an example. Let's say you're trying this sweep and you get to about here...

...but he somehow makes posture, maybe freeing his trapped arm and trying to stand up. I'll use this moment to put in my other hook for x-guard.

I needn't even really try to sweep to do this either. Let's say I have half guard and the underhook but I'm just so cool that I put the hook in too. Now I can just underhook his far leg and frame against his hip as I scoot my hips under him and I'll get enough room to stick the other hook in.

Here's another sweep that will help illustrate my point. It shares this position, but you start in butterfly guard:

http://bjj.org/techniques/thetechniq...weepFromGuard/

The relevant moment:

I recommend drilling both my sweep and the Jacare one in a row to get a feel for how you can enter this position from different setups.

Oh, and there's another position people like to call "half butterfly guard", but it's a largely retarded position that only works if you're going against someone with bad guard passing. But that's for another thread. Or probably later in this one.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    4/27/2006 3:03pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, that has been my staple half guard move for a long time. If you aren't real flexible that this move is not for you. Best no-gi half guard sweep ever. The good thing is if you can't quite make it happen you open a lot more opportunities and are not forced flat on your back.

I have seen guys with really big legs have trouble getting thier first hook in. Sucks for them.

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    4/27/2006 3:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, and there's another position people like to call "half butterfly guard", but it's a largely retarded position that only works if you're going against someone with bad guard passing. But that's for another thread. Or probably later in this one.

Are you talking about one hook in, one leg around the waist? Because I'm pretty sure I invented a gimmick guard for MMA using that.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/27/2006 3:16pm

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's the one.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    4/27/2006 3:28pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pretty much the exact same sweep can be done with you locking down the caught leg, though if you've got them stretched out far you lose some mobility. However, there are two ways to counter this, one that works most of the time and one that works once (but is glorious).

First, if you're on top and break out of the grip and switch to a whizzer with your right arm it stuffs the sweep attempts. Looking at the pictures I'm pretty sure this is applicable to this butterfly version.

Second, if you're on top and they have your leg locked down, figure four your own feet and if they have your right leg locked shoulder roll hard over your right shoulder (on the left side of their body). You'll be able to get their back. The problem with this move is that if they are aware of the move they'll likely take your back. This one doesn't seem applicable to this butterfly version.

Posted On:
    4/27/2006 3:48pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't have a lot to add because Aesopian pretty much owned the **** out of this technique with his photos and explanations, but I do have one thing to say: I cannot overemphasize the importance of controlling your opponent's leg when your half guard to insert your butterfly hook. Pat attention to how Aesopian is controlling the leg around photographs 3, 4, and 5. Do not get lazy and straighten your inside leg. That hook is a lifeline, respect it as such.

Don't get lazy with your butterfly hook, either. Really use it to pressure your opponents leg for added control. Not controlling the leg properly when you go to sweep or transition to x-guard gives your opponent an easy pass into side control. Learn from my mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    Yeah, that has been my staple half guard move for a long time. If you aren't real flexible that this move is not for you. Best no-gi half guard sweep ever. The good thing is if you can't quite make it happen you open a lot more opportunities and are not forced flat on your back.

I have seen guys with really big legs have trouble getting thier first hook in. Sucks for them.
    I've got pretty big legs, but stretching my opponent's leg out and escaping my hips to the side both help a lot.

The basic half butterfly hook opens up a lot more than just a few sweeps and transitions, that's for sure.
    Last edited by Cassius; 4/27/2006 3:52pm at .
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Still digging on James Brown

Posted On:
    4/27/2006 4:12pm

Style: BJJ & Judo (1k)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks useful. Will try it on unsuspecting, yet heavy, wide based and strong-as-bears judoka in tomorrows ne waza class.

The r34l Drunken Jiu Jitsu

Posted On:
    4/27/2006 5:04pm

supporting member
     Style: _razilian _iu _itsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On a slightly related note:

I was watching the last Pride Bushido a few weeks ago, and noticed that 70% of the time people kept getting that "half butterfly guard". I've never seen it used up until that point, but I distinctly remember thinking "What the **** is that ****? Get the other hook in! Pull the hook out and close guard! Go to half guard! Anything but that!"
    :google:

Number of bottles of beer downed by me and my girlfriend within a half hour while playing the Channel 7 "how many times will they say 'snow' game" during the "Blizzard of '06": 3.5 each.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/27/2006 5:38pm

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just remembered this:

If you hold the belt, be careful when you sweep that you don't roll him on to your bent fingers. I jammed my index finger and was unable to bend it fully for several weeks after drilling this move too many times and letting my finger get laid on while still holding the belt. Just open your hand before he lays on it, or use the other grips, and you should be safe.

Also, another sweep that shares this position.

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    4/27/2006 5:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9

-That would be me. I suck at this sweep.

Edited to add: I can actually hit this on ocassion if I start from the butterfly...
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast