Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 7:54am

Style: Boxing, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Boxing progression

Right, I am a boxing noob. I have been to three sessions so far and would like to know what the basic expected progression is i.e. how the skills, training and teaching changes over time since there is none of the obvious structure and syllabus I am familiar with from Karate.

So far the club is pretty intimidating and impersonal for a noob - you go for a run, get bullied through an hour of body-weight circuits by an ex-sas guy (its murder) then go downstairs where you do rounds of bag work and skipping without supervision as more advanced peeps go in the ring for sparring or pad-work. There is little chit-chat and people slip-out after varying times until after a couple of hours, every-one has gone.

Having not been told even how to throw a punch after two sessions, on the third I asked a guy floating around (didn't quite seem to be a coach but an old-timer not training) for pointers.

Does this sound right? How was it for your? When do you start pads, when sparring, when competing?

Of course I'm going try and grab a coach and get some info from the club itself but an idea of how it works in other boxing gyms would be cool.

Thanks!

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 8:51am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like a pretty shitty gym, if you ask me.

Every boxing gym should have a little "Pre Interview" where either a rep or the manager asks you a bunch of questions based on your health and experience. They then create a little "Work Up" on you and keep it in a folder with your name on it.

Every boxing gym I've been to had an intro class for EVERY new member, regardless of experience, that went over the basic stances and techniques. I'm surprised your gym didn't do something like this.

Did you tell the gym owner that you have a bunch of experience? Are you training for free? How much are you paying?

Honestly, it doesn't sound like you're in a quality place if you've received no instruction at all.

('._.)

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 8:54am

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It will come with time, just be patient. Get your ass kicked, its a learning experience. Im sure the teacher will go over the technique later.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 9:46am

Style: Boxing, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori
    Sounds like a pretty shitty gym, if you ask me.
    Mmm - possibly but its clear that most of the more advanced folk regularly compete and I understand they have a current Commonwealth silver-medalist. The owner is a moderately successful ex-pro.

How much are you paying?
    Since you ask its 25 membership, 3 a taught (!) session and access to the gym at other times but not weekends. I get the impression they don't hassle those that can't pay. The time spent is more precious than 10x the money though.

Every boxing gym should have a little "Pre Interview" ... asks you a bunch of questions based on your health and experience... folder with your name on it.
    I am a surprised there is nothing like that although admittedly its not been terribly useful in other dojos. Nothing has been said about insurance.

What I think it probably is, is a 'don't suffer fools gladly' kind of place. Its in a pretty rough area and I bet they get more of the once/twice only attendees than the average ma class (and thats a hell of a lot anyway). I have a suspicion that you have to survive the SAS torture for a while before they will spend some time on you. So I'm being patient as Rogue suggests.

Well I'm bouncing around trying to unsuccessfully move like a boxer rather than a karateka and still in the dark about people do this boxing training thing.

Village Idiot

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 2:25pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    RogueSamurai you are a moron.

The place I am at, the way they do their Kickboxing and Boxing classes is they have a beginner's and an advanced class. In the beginner's class you work on basic technique.

You work on going under punches, slipping left to right from punches, then you work on basic punches like jab/cross/hook. All while the instructor is checking your stance and correcting anything you are doing wrong.

I learned very very fast in this enviroment. Bag work was good, and then you do mild sparring in the advanced class. Meaning spar only using jabs to the stomach. Then spar only using jabs to the head, then spar only using jab to the head and right cross to the stomach.

You just increase the amount of power and technique you are implementing into each workout and after awhile the instructor will feel you are ready (whenever that is) then he will have you start sparring for real in a ring with headgear.

I suggest finding a place like this. You are working out, doing kata which is basically just the same punches and combinations over and over, and then you are applying it to sparring. I love it and I think you would like it as well.
    I'll make one when I can find one I like.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 2:48pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No wonder English boxers suck. :icon_joke

My first day - after a warm up - was me getting taught a correct stance and basic punches.

The progression is you work your stance, your balance, and then your punches, then defense, then bring it all together with sparring.

Although boxing is very much figuring out what works for you - your own style - you're not at that point yet. It's possible that they assume you have the skills already...

I'd ask the instructor / senior student to go over anything that's not clear. They should do this with no problems. Make sure you get it down then practice practice practice.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 2:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My boxing coaches have always been very on about giving noobs attention and teaching them technique. Actually, my Ross will, to this day, work with me as though I were a total beginner and have me doing total beginner exercises on how to throw a jab. He even does this with my thai boxing coaches.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ross would have Oscar Delahoya standing in front of a heavy bag instructing him on how to throw a proper jab.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 3:36pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    my Ross will, to this day
    Your Ross? Does Anna know about this...

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 3:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    er, coach Ross. Me no type gud.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 3:44pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    er, coach Ross. Me no type gud.
    Well, I believe you.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast