Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/27/2006 12:12pm

Style: Muay Thai , BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raitaro
    Obivously you havent been confronted by drunk teens on your way home from Doce Pares with a bag full of weapons on your back and half a Glasgow Freestyle uniform on.
    Can't say that I have... although if they wanted to do any harm to you good luck getting any of the weapons out of the bag before they did it...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/27/2006 12:14pm

Style: JKD, MuayThai, BJJ, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaolinz
    Can't say that I have... although if they wanted to do any harm to you good luck getting any of the weapons out of the bag before they did it...

Nothing like an easy access hockey back.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/27/2006 12:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK ok so maybe I should have said out of the bag and brought it into a position to actually inflict some damage, except once again it would only be to the first person if they came at you like in the movies you may have a chance. If they just rush you, you hit one.. other takes you down... you play with him while the other takes pot shots at your head with your own stick.

Posted On:
    4/27/2006 12:33pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Contrary to popular belief, some people who get in a lot of streetfights are not cowards. They like to beat people up, and might not be afraid to get hit. If you go up against someone like this, you need to have a similar level of fearlessness.

I've met numerous FMA practitioners who could handle a stick OK, but I would not be afraid to be hit by. There's a hell of a difference between twirling and knocking someone out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/27/2006 9:14pm

Style: Yang Taiji, Hsing-I

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sure thing, as long as you know how to use it.

In my opinion.

We've got a cane form that's based on a shaolin "nightstick" form that the Hong Kong police use. There are several sections that are designed for subduing one person with the stick, then maybe stepping on their hand to keep em down while you get the other one. I don't study that one yet, unfortunately.

Weapons are funny in that they have a much bigger danger zone that you can use to herd your opponent where you want. And if you use them to apply leverage, you can put a steady hurtin on a body with minimal effort.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/27/2006 9:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shaolin nightstick form? You mean Tonfa or a short stick (can't remember the real word for it)? Also do you mean "based on a shaolin form that the police use" in the same way Titanic was based on actual events?

Kidding aside, I've give you a better chance with a tonfa/nightstick over a staff.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/27/2006 9:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shaolin nightstick form? You mean Tonfa or a short stick (can't remember the real word for it)? Also do you mean "based on a shaolin form that the police use" in the same way Titanic was based on actual events?

Kidding aside, I've give you a better chance with a tonfa/nightstick over a staff.
    It's a tai chi cane form that was adapted from the Shaolin tonfa form, yes. I wasn't aware that was the name of the original weapon. It's got similar movements, but done according to Tai Chi principles and body mechanics, rather than Shaolin. And it's called a cane form. As I understand it, the original was/is taught to Hong Kong police at some point. I don't know if any other Tai Chi schools teach the same form, since it was adapted specifically by our school's founder for his students.

The cool thing about a cane is that it's a hard piece of wood that you could carry with you anywhere without arousing suspicion.

A different thread reminded me of the utility of the common mini-maglight, as well. For joint and finger locks, it can be quite persuasive.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/27/2006 10:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I've seen kung fu forms devoted to the tonfa and some devoted to a short stick/cane.. two completely different weapons wielded in different ways.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/27/2006 10:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I've seen kung fu forms devoted to the tonfa and some devoted to a short stick/cane.. two completely different weapons wielded in different ways.
    I honestly don't know if it is a tonfa or short stick, to tell you the truth. I haven't started studying it yet. I'll ask and let you know, though, if'n yer innerested.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/27/2006 10:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd be willing to bet if they call it a cane form then its a short stick, which would be different from a nightstick unless you mean like a billy club..
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast