Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 394546474849 50 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/15/2006 6:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Had my first Judo class on Saturday. Great fun. Started off with some warmups, drills then went into some light technqiue drills, then randori in which I totally pwned the women and children of the dojo. Then after a short rest we hit the mat for newaza, which took up abput 30 mins in total. My BJJ helped me alot during newaza randori, I was able to hold my own with a brown belt. Peoplecould tell that I had experiance in other stuff so when they asked me what I had done, I loudly announced that I was a "ninja", and that I "train for the fucking street." ;) Just kidding, in reality I said bujinkan and BJJ, they didn't know what bujinkan was so I said it was "old style jujitsu". Overall, great stuff, good dojo, good coaches and nice people. I saw a noticeable difference between judo and wrestling, in that wrestlers more often attack forward and try to grab the body/wrap up like in single and double legs, whereas judo has the gi so more graqb and pulling attacks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2006 6:51pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heh. I haven't trained since last year, so no larping here. Thus why I don't have any style listed.

I wasn't calling you out. Just genuinely interested in seeing a ninjutsu group using sparring. I'm used to seeing typical bujinkan training drills.

Registered Member

Manhattan Beach, California, United States

Posted On:
    5/15/2006 7:39pm

Style: Muay Thai, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JMYoung
    Heh. I haven't trained since last year, so no larping here. Thus why I don't have any style listed.

I wasn't calling you out. Just genuinely interested in seeing a ninjutsu group using sparring. I'm used to seeing typical bujinkan training drills.
    I eventually will get some vids online. It sucks that some of the best matches are days I don't think to bring a camera and the days that I hve someone bring one, it is all newbies. But I will get some. but you probable won't see an uke tsuki or a lunge punch

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2006 7:54pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That'd be awesome. Thanks!

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    5/15/2006 8:00pm

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    Had my first Judo class on Saturday. Great fun. Started off with some warmups, drills then went into some light technqiue drills, then randori in which I totally pwned the women and children of the dojo. Then after a short rest we hit the mat for newaza, which took up abput 30 mins in total.
    Bastard. I'm starting to get all weepy just thinking of what I'm missing.
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Middleweight

Posted On:
    5/15/2006 8:18pm

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Remember, fermented hops is necessary for proper judo progression. The more of the golden nourishment you consume with your fellow Judoka, the stronger you will become.

Enjoy classes. My first year in Judo, I had a plan to throw each of the senior guys once in randori (only once). That is a good way to focus and see the baby steps in your improvement, 'cause sometimes it gets a little disheartening when you get bounced like a basketball the whole day.

Heel Hook Hunter

Posted On:
    5/15/2006 9:16pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: Jiu Jitsu | Knife

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JMYoung

The only thing that sucks in the MMA match before the sword fights. It started with Kikko throwing a side kick, me catching it and throwing about 5 knees in this leg till he fell (where the video start). That was a good example of Ninpo Keri Kudaki (Leg destruction). A lot of a good stuff wasn't caught on tape :(

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    5/15/2006 9:19pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

more bad MA advice

Ha, here's another really sad howler.

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/for...d.php?p=866922

Hey my name is Jordan and I am 16 years old. I have been in martial arts for about 4 1/2-5 years and I will be testing for my 1st dan black belt in Tae Kwon Do this coming September. I have always enjoyed martial arts and they are very importent to me. Sometimes when I have reached the end of my rope emotionally (which a lot to teens) I have training to fall back on. In the first 3-4 years of training I was confident that I could use my art successfully in a fight, however you could say lately I have problems trusting in things and believing in myself thers. As of now I fluxuate between believing that I can fight to "I am weak and not a good fighter". I think this stemmed from non MAist people saying that MAs are bs and they don't work in a "real" fight. On the other hand I have a friend who used to fight in underground street fights and is a martial artist (and an excelent one by they way) who builds me up and tells me they do work and that he has used them. I used to take such joy in class every week and would love learning new things, but I have had not only kids but a teacher at my school basically ridicule me for being in martial arts and it really messes with my head. "what if they dont work, what if I'm useless?" Basically I am a nervous reck 90% of the time and go from believing in my art to deep phases of depression in which I run over wether they would work in a fight. Yes I know some things in martial arts are not preactical in fights unless you train your butt off to the point where they work, but its gotten to the point where I dought my regular things will work. Now I know that the world is not about jumping off walls and flying spining 540 reverse turning kicks, but the simple stuff like side kicks and knees, elbows and such, but I basically dought that now too. It has gotten SOOO bad to where my subconcious tells me that my training is not worth it and I will not bow to that ever because I love martial arts with all my heart and I could not bear giving it up. I know many of you are going to think its crazy, but its basically my biggest problem to over come now. I train hard and I mean till I cant move my arms or kick anymore. every move in my forms is as hard as I can possibly make it. My kicks at thier highest, are a foot above my head and knock people 30-50 lbs. or more in a front stance holding a kicking shield backwards( I am 6' 140 lbs.) and I can break five boards with a downward elbow on both sides( I know that may not be much to many but its pretty good for me). All Im really trying to tell you all is that I lack confidense in my fighting ability and the abilities of others because of what Idiots tell me. Yes I am retarded for listening to ignerant waste of space losers like them, but for some reason I cant help it and it goes even beyond not believing in martial arts(will not explain), but it all stems from not believing in MA. I want to have the joy I had in practicing again I want to wake up happy in the morning having the confidense that when I go to my dojang I am learning something worthwhile and something that I can make work. I want to be free from this cell I have gotten into. I will not ever stop fighting untill I can believe again.

P.S. I am deeply sorry for the long post I have had that bottled up in my for about 6-7 months. Please help.

And this is the reply the guy gets:

lol...don't worry about the length of the post, the more you give, the more we know to be able to help you (though it would help if you used paragraphs, its hard on my eyes lol)

Anyways, I think you have the wrong idea about fights. I've been mugged 3 times in the past 2 years...now that's scary...in the dark, unexpected. I won those fights probably only because I practiced my what I call "realistic" techniques until I felt confident (of course...I got my share of bruises, but nothing compared to them) with only about a years worth of TKD.

For example, just from reading your post, I know you have no confidence in your kicks. Don't worry about kicking over your head, probably don't even worry about kicking above your chest. Since you don't have too much confidence in your technique, why not practice the basics until you know that you can preform them without thinking. The thing is, fights aren't like a sparring match, they're not going to be following any rules. People move around in ways you don't/can't predict...they'll push you, take you to the ground, grab a buddy.

You mentioned your friend who does the underground fights or whatever. Don't you think what he says has more prescedence over what your school teacher says, or what your friends say (probably from watching too many kung fu movies). Would you rather listen to your chemistry teacher who's probably never fought in his life...or your friend who's been in numerous fights and knows what he's talking about?

I haven't broken boards yet, but to me you seem like you have power in your strike (of course, the technique to break boards and break a skull is probably different). Watch a UFC tape, and elbow can rip a guys forehead easy!

Now for some proof on martial arts working. Look at bodyguards, law enforcement officers, the military...they all use martial arts, or some form of structured self-defence system. Grab a copy of Blackbelt Magazine and read the through it. Every once in a while, you'll read information about real people in real situations. Use that to prove to yourself that martial arts really works.

I don't know, but it seems to me like you should do more free sparring or self-defense. Back when I lived in Springfield and took TKD [ITF], we had things called One-Steps (One Step Sparring or self defence routines). Practice your basic ones with someone, and have them go at you at random times...make sure you work with someone who can do as little telegraphing as possible. Practice with both the right and left. Practice from a fighting stance (You generally won't be standing straight, feet 6 inches, arms by your sides in a real situation).

I mean I'm no war-lord, but I've been in enough fights, and seen people in fights, to know you shouldn't try certian things. My old teacher used to say "If you are afraid, your letting someone control you". Don't let anyone control you...physically or mentally...control yourself!

[EDIT]
    Oh, and congradulations on your near near blackbelt achievement. Don't let it go away from you! Remember, your journey is just beginning! This is what you've worked hard for!

Sigh. Better advice would have been, "train in a credible art". If someone does sparring these sorts of doubts never emerge.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    5/15/2006 9:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ya know, I didn't read his whole sob story I stopped where he cried about people ridiculing him for doing MA. It's been a long time since someone's had the balls to say anything along those lines to me, and anyone that ever did was immediately offered a challenge to prove to me how much I sucked. And before the MAPpers come on here to crucify me for my immature acts of petty ego-boosting and "bullying" attitude by not adhering to the wise words of "win fights without fighting" that embody every style of martial arts, may I say that I only offered such a challenge as an offer to enlighten and teach them the error of their ways.

It was in no way a thing about proving myself, or stroking my ego, or me "reducing myself to their level" by being a "bully" myself, it was me giving them a chance to help both themselves, and perhaps myself grow. After all, if they beat me, then perhaps then they were right. But if we never had a Gong Sao then we'd all remain ignorant....and ignorance is not the way to enlightenment no matter what your given monotheistic religious leader tells you.

THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE! WHINY 16 YEAR OLD TKDER! LET GONG SAO BE YOUR DIVINING ROD IN YOUR SEARCH FOR THE RIVER OF TRUTH!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2006 6:02am

Style: Kali/Jun Fan/CSW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MONGO
    Remember, fermented hops is necessary for proper judo progression. The more of the golden nourishment you consume with your fellow Judoka, the stronger you will become.
    So that's why the Belgian team no longer dominates every judo comp they go to. Avarage beer consumption per Belgian is going down and so are our judo results!
Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 394546474849 50 LastLast