Page 1 of 10 12345 ... Last
  1. #1
    Emevas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Minot AFB, ND
    Posts
    6,788
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    F-in' ego in grappling arts

    Here's my rant. I am so sick of everytime I walk into a grappling class (BJJ is way guilty of this, but all grappling seems equal), when the instructor says "go 30% intensity here guys", I get Rickson going apeshit trying to tear my head off or wrench kimuras on me. It's a fucking warmup, not a match. Stupid fucking ego bullcrap that isn't conducive to training.

    I swear, the next time someone does this ****, I'm gonna straight knee them in the face, and when they go "Dude, WTF?" I'll go "Oh, sorry, you were going so intense I thought we were having a MMA match" =P
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,334
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try telling them that your new and to play easy. I know alot of grapplers don't know their own strength.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

  3. #3

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    23,466
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Reasons I don't like to grapple new blood, I busted one of the new guys elbows today because he muscled out of everything and thought he could do it from an inverted kimura.

  4. #4
    Emevas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Minot AFB, ND
    Posts
    6,788
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a fuckin' warm-up man...I really shouldn't need to tell them that.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

  5. #5
    Emevas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Minot AFB, ND
    Posts
    6,788
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    Reasons I don't like to grapple new blood, I busted one of the new guys elbows today because he muscled out of everything and thought he could do it from an inverted kimura.
    That's just poor club ettiquette. I got a little grappling experience and some wrestling, but I'm tapping out constantly in my new club because I'm the new guy and I'm not there to prove myself. No one is gonna benefit that way. Yeah, if someone fucks up the triangle and there's no pressure, I won't tap, but it's not a frickin' match.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

  6. #6
    eviechu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    382
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    I'm tapping out constantly in my new club because I'm the new guy and I'm not there to prove myself.

    Yeah that is pretty much gonna happen when your a noob to BJJ. Now... they shouldn't wrench your arm in kimuras or armbars... but yeah.. your gonna get smashed on and your gonna get tapped alot until you learn not to. I am not condoning lets just hurt this noob... but I am not gonna tap a newb out less just because he is new.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    23,466
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    That's just poor club ettiquette. I got a little grappling experience and some wrestling, but I'm tapping out constantly in my new club because I'm the new guy and I'm not there to prove myself. No one is gonna benefit that way. Yeah, if someone fucks up the triangle and there's no pressure, I won't tap, but it's not a frickin' match.
    Poor club etiquette?

  8. #8
    Emevas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Minot AFB, ND
    Posts
    6,788
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by eviechu
    Yeah that is pretty much gonna happen when your a noob to BJJ. Now... they shouldn't wrench your arm in kimuras or armbars... but yeah.. your gonna get smashed on and your gonna get tapped alot until you learn not to. I am not condoning lets just hurt this noob... but I am not gonna tap a newb out less just because he is new.
    I'm a newb to BJJ, but not to grappling. I hold my own against guys who've been there a year or so, but I'm saying that I'm not muscling out of subs left and right and treating every role like it's the last. It's like "He got the armbar, tap, start over" not "he got it, HULK SMASH!!!"
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    134
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Our gym just introduced MMA classes and I recently started taking some. We brought guys from this BJJ gym into our Muay Thai/ Boxing gym.

    Couple things, those BJJ could kick my ass. But thier striking was inferior (obviously cause they don't practice it)

    So when we practice MMA, theres little room for being a egoistic prick. Strikers learn new things such as the guard and take down defense and the grapplers help us out. When it time to learn some striking the reverse happens. There has to be a good reason how why grapplers have such a high ego, but when there is room to learn new things coporating is the best way to learn it.

    Maybe the dude is just pissed off for warming up with a newb. ( "why the **** am I getting paired up with this newb? I better kill this guy I so the instructor will set me up with a different partner"

  10. #10
    Emevas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Minot AFB, ND
    Posts
    6,788
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude, it was like the whole gym today. We paired off with different folks every 3 mintues or so.

    But yeah, I hear ya, when you throw striking into the mix, I've never really had this happen.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO