Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 7:01pm

Style: Yang Taiji, Hsing-I

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDChick
    I think lifting weights and running have more to offer. I mean, other than training hard.
    You would be surprised.

A lot of folks come to IMA to overcome limitations imposed by injuries training under other systems.

Standing meditation strengthens you in a way you can't get with simple weight training.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 7:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by peng
    Weight shifts, leverage, breath, letting yourself get hit in some cases, expanding and contracting the chest and back, rooting, boorowing energy.

None of these things really mean anything to me, and don't seem to be anything outside the realm of hip rotation (or thrusting) and falling steps. Could you be a little more specific? Mr Mantis?
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 7:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd actually consider it to be the exact opposite. The other way round, rather.

It takes a lot of training, and I'd be lying if I said I had a fight history to back up my technique, but the principle of the lever is integral to the art.
    When I say spoon, I'm talking about the slow but very precise work you'd be doing, and by shovel I mean the rough but more effective approach. Man, I'm sounding like a hippy here... spoons, shovels...

I don't think learning how to get all the force you can out of what you have is a bad thing, the problem as I see it is that it takes ages to become 'combat effective' with IMA while it may be far more economical as far as time spent training vs. results to take a less perfectionistic approach.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 7:08pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You would be surprised.

A lot of folks come to IMA to overcome limitations imposed by injuries training under other systems.

Standing meditation strengthens you in a way you can't get with simple weight training.
    my "chi hugging hippy" senses are tingling
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 7:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You would be surprised.

True but weight training also strengthens you in ways Standing meditation doesn't.

Nothing wrong with all those factors however some (not all) IMA schools seem to use the phrase IMA as a way of coping out of good conditioning.

Standing on one leg and breathing is not a subsitiute for 20 minutes of skipping rope.

I keep seeing pic's in many CMA sites of people who have arms that look like mine did 20 years ago when I was 14 and to who a push-up would cause an allergic reaction.

Hi, guys

Posted On:

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    JJ theory of any kind is as mystical and deep as MA's can get really. It's the very core of the ideal of MA's. Someone overcoming physical disadvantages with technique and knowledge of the fight. With both feet planted on planet earth and a keen grasp of truth and reality, MA's can hardly be more mystical and both philosophical and methodical, and technical than truly good JJ. JJ though is as external as any style. Internal styles follow a reality that is not accepted as the true reality.

Internal arts are always about some kind of energy that has not yet been discovered by science, that can somehow be applied in healing and fighting, but not to power an automobile, nor be measured in any other way, but to hold your fingertips together and feel the tingling, or feeling the warmth of another persons hands. It can't be measured, can't be used for anything but healing and fighting, as mentioned. It can't be used to make plants grow, it can't be used to dry your hair. It can't be used to warm a house. It can't be used as anything but fighting and healing, and yet it is an existing energy long since discovered in the ancient east... right?

Of course by now you know I'm talking about chi(wether or not you will spout it's existance is of no importance). The concept of Chi is the singularily greatest cockup in MA history. The day someone invented the concept of chi was a dark one. The day someone adapted it to the MA's, several generation of intelligent human beings cried out in terror, and then were suddenly silenced.

You will face unimaginable hostility to your arts here. Because they and the concept you are trying to convey, are based on figments of the imagination of long dead chinese people. Before there were any trustworthy empirical evidence, this theory snaked it's way into the hearts of people everywhere, and the MA's are forever tainted with it's vile perverted odor. Chi is a false method of explaining what one can't explain with facts one do not posess.

The second you said "just grappling" you brought on the wrath of people who have dedicated their lives and their minds, their hearts and their souls to the pursuit of "JU". Their jutsu may not be the best. But anyone who has understood the concept will instantly react to comments like that. This is also why many will hate you and your internal styles. You will preach your ancient chinese mumbo jumbo as an explanation for methods and technique soundly tested by people who know better. If you continue your pursuit of IMA's you will be brainwashed and you may never be truly free, no matter if the truth catches up to you one day.

I don't know how long you have been decieving yourself. Nor how long you expect to keep going. I suppose the usual excuses such as choice to do the MA you LIKE rather than "THE BEST" will crop up if this reaches a "serious" discussion. But IMA's never spar. IMA's never test. IMA's never prove anything related to fighting. Nor do they prove the existance of their theories. And no matter how many come along trying to make it sound like JJ. IMA's are nothing like JJ. It is a step beyond, past our reality. And it is mistaken in most of it's explanations. Until I spar an IMA practioner who exhibits any fighting skill, I will not be convinced it has any merit. No video, no argument, no bullshit will sway me. IMA's are teh suck.

Welcome to bullshido.
    More human than human is our motto.

Registered Member

Posted On:

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    So I'm not alone...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 7:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    That's just my pheremones. Never you mind.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 7:19pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's just my pheremones. Never you mind.

you're a woman?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 7:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Internal styles follow a reality that is not accepted as the true reality.
    That is a statment based on ignorance of principle.

Internal arts are always about some kind of energy that has not yet been discovered by science, that can somehow be applied in healing and fighting, but not to power an automobile, nor be measured in any other way, but to hold your fingertips together and feel the tingling, or feeling the warmth of another persons hands. It can't be measured, can't be used for anything but healing and fighting, as mentioned. It can't be used to make plants grow, it can't be used to dry your hair. It can't be used to warm a house. It can't be used as anything but fighting and healing, and yet it is an existing energy long since discovered in the ancient east... right?

I don't know where you got this interpretation of internal arts, but it is quite amusing.

Of course by now you know I'm talking about chi(wether or not you will spout it's existance is of no importance). The concept of Chi is the singularily greatest cockup in MA history. The day someone invented the concept of chi was a dark one. The day someone adapted it to the MA's, several generation of intelligent human beings cried out in terror, and then were suddenly silenced.

Chi as a word in chinese means anything from kinetic energy to emotional state. It's closest unqualified english equivalent is, quite simply, energy.

So, the next time you use the word energy to describe any aspect of your practice, I want you to imagine all the intelligent human beings crying out in terror.

For what it's worth, my Sifu teaches that "Chi equals cheat".

You will face unimaginable hostility to your arts here. Because they and the concept you are trying to convey, are based on figments of the imagination of long dead chinese people. Before there were any trustworthy empirical evidence, this theory snaked it's way into the hearts of people everywhere, and the MA's are forever tainted with it's vile perverted odor. Chi is a false method of explaining what one can't explain with facts one do not posess.

In that case, I'm in the right place. The amount of ignorance expressed in that paragraph is astounding.

The second you said "just grappling" you brought on the wrath of people who have dedicated their lives and their minds, their hearts and their souls to the pursuit of "JU". Their jutsu may not be the best. But anyone who has understood the concept will instantly react to comments like that. This is also why many will hate you and your internal styles. You will preach your ancient chinese mumbo jumbo as an explanation for methods and technique soundly tested by people who know better. If you continue your pursuit of IMA's you will be brainwashed and you may never be truly free, no matter if the truth catches up to you one day.

An interesting theory. I will let you know how it bears out. So far I'm merely answering questions, but I'll let you know when I start preachin.

I don't know how long you have been decieving yourself. Nor how long you expect to keep going. I suppose the usual excuses such as choice to do the MA you LIKE rather than "THE BEST" will crop up if this reaches a "serious" discussion. But IMA's never spar. IMA's never test. IMA's never prove anything related to fighting. Nor do they prove the existance of their theories. And no matter how many come along trying to make it sound like JJ. IMA's are nothing like JJ. It is a step beyond, past our reality. And it is mistaken in most of it's explanations. Until I spar an IMA practioner who exhibits any fighting skill, I will not be convinced it has any merit. No video, no argument, no bullshit will sway me. IMA's are teh suck.

How many IMA practicioners have you sparred against?

When you gonna be in the Twin Cities? :)

Welcome to bullshido.
Page 5 of 79 FirstFirst 12345 67891555 ... LastLast