Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 8:38pm

Style: Yang Taiji, Hsing-I

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    The main point is that if you're doing dance, football, or underwater basket weaving to get better at FIGHTING, without FIGHTING, you're an idiot.
    My point exactly.

I was speaking of the type of physical conditioning, not the specific techniques that are trained in.

For my money, I'd rather be conditioned like a dancer than a linebacker. I see that kind of flexibility, control, and strength as being superior.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 8:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by peng
    My point exactly.

I was speaking of the type of physical conditioning, not the specific techniques that are trained in.

For my money, I'd rather be conditioned like a dancer than a linebacker. I see that kind of flexibility, control, and strength as being superior.
    for dancing...

why you'd even talk about training like a dancer to be a good fighter is lost on me
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 8:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRedbeard
    Can you explain the other aspects?
    I think the closest western equivalent would be the constitution. The general level of health. Getting just as much muscle as you need, for example, and just enough flexibility. Nice blood pressure, good tone, all that neat stuff.

You know what I'm talking about, at least on an intuitive level, even if your pride keeps you from admitting it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 8:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    for dancing...

why you'd even talk about training like a dancer to be a good fighter is lost on me
    Who said anything about training like a dancer? I likened the type of physical conditioning to that of a dancer, not the training.

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 8:44pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who said anything about training like a dancer? I likened the type of physical conditioning to that of a dancer, not the training.
    That video is an hour long. You obviously have not watched it yet.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 8:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If the dancer's wispy little body doesn't have enough muscle to put power behind his strikes, then the point is moot. Let's not even get into the subject of stupid pressure point attacks and magical one-hit KO's/kills.

You sound like you've never sparred with anyone who knows what they're doing. All your best plans change the moment the other guy makes contact with your face.
    I've already mentioned that I'm only just now beginning to spar in this system. I fought a lot growing up, though, so that's gotta count for something. :)

Seriously, though, I 've been studying for about four years now and I am only now beginning to spar. So, yes, some of your criticism is valid. But, seriously, the amount of defensive posturing in here is staggerring.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 8:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That video is an hour long. You obviously have not watched it yet.
    You are correct.

I couldn't understand the audio.

Gimme the short version.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 8:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

which doesn't really make any sense. A dancer has dancer specific conditioning, which is not at all related to fighting. I'd assume you'd prefer to have the conditioning of a fighter, but then, some people confuse dancing and with fighting.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 8:49pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You started bolding and discecting peng, so what the hell :D

That is a statment based on ignorance of principle.

No, trust me it is a statement based on long hours, days, weeks and months of reading, discussing and training.

I don't know where you got this interpretation of internal arts, but it is quite amusing.

I got it from people like you. Eventually you **** up and start discussing this stuff. The facts and pseudo-science put forth by IMA practitioners eventually end up looking much more sophisticated at a glance naturally, but generally containing just that.

Chi as a word in chinese means anything from kinetic energy to emotional state. It's closest unqualified english equivalent is, quite simply, energy.

So, the next time you use the word energy to describe any aspect of your practice, I want you to imagine all the intelligent human beings crying out in terror.

For what it's worth, my Sifu teaches that "Chi equals cheat".

I don't bother with the evolution of language when discussion "Scientific" fact. Chi in chinese and Ki in japanese has evolved into the language, but is fundamentally a large error of judgement due to false understanding of the world around them. This is why Japanese for instance have adapted the word energy into their language to describe the factual energy as we know it. Ki lies in borderland as "feeling" and "intent". It's relation to anything resembling actual REAL energy is non-existant.

As for using energy to describe any aspect of my practice. I STILL haven't after 4 years. It's seldom used like that in Norwegian.

In that case, I'm in the right place. The amount of ignorance expressed in that paragraph is astounding.

The amount of ignorance expressed in that paragraph was a humorous star wars reference joke. Chill man.

An interesting theory. I will let you know how it bears out. So far I'm merely answering questions, but I'll let you know when I start preachin.

Sadly not a theory. I did not fall as far as you before I discovered the way. Others have been worse off and still survived. Some are lost forever.

How many IMA practicioners have you sparred against?

None :) Not for lack of trying. But you see. IMA practitioners don't want to spar :( Hell lots of "external" practitioners don't want to spar. This isn't a IMA exclusive. But much more wide-spread.

When you gonna be in the Twin Cities? :)

No idea. But I liked the US ^^ , canada can't be all that bad.

Edit: Oh wait. it IS the US isn't it. Damn geography. Gets me every time.
    Last edited by fanatical; 4/26/2006 8:52pm at .
    More human than human is our motto.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 8:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    which doesn't really make any sense. A dancer has dancer specific conditioning, which is not at all related to fighting. I'd assume you'd prefer to have the conditioning of a fighter, but then, some people confuse dancing and with fighting.
    To be precise, yes, it would be the conditioning of a fighter.

The conditioning of a fighter is more like the conditioning of a dancer than the conditioning of a linebacker, though.

That was what I said, if you go back. (yeah, likely, I know)

That does not mean that the conditioning of a fighter is exactly the same as that of a dancer. It just means that the specific physical attributes that contribute to the makeup of a good fighter have more in common with the specific physical attributes that contribute to the makeup of a good dancer than they do with the specific physical attributes that contribute to the makeup of a good linebacker.
Page 11 of 79 FirstFirst ... 7891011 121314152161 ... LastLast