Middleweight

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 1:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Truculent Sheep
    Matt, the official line from the BBC is that he only had a one series contract, but that was spin: Ecclestone made his decision and the BBC reacted accordingly. However, Ecclestone's leaving was successfully handled, so any damage was prevented. If anything, Ecclestone is now guaranteed cult status precisely because he did a runner, and it was good PR for the series too. Compare that to Tom Baker - a Doctor for seven years - who had to be forced out to make way for Peter Davison in 1981!
    Sorry, based on everything I have read, I don't buy it.

Russell Davies was on record explaining that he didn't want to start with a regeneration for plot reasons (in doing so demonstrated what was wrong with the telefilm). At the same time he wanted to get the regeneration in early to establish it as canon.

The entire thing was planned (Rich Johnson of Lying in the Gutter's fame did a solid breakdown of everything based on inside contact from the BBC).

Note the fact that the leak happened on the same day as Sky announced that Ant and Dec (a pair of 7-year old interviewers) had secured an interview with Tony Blair.

Now I do think Eccleston was probably concerned about typecasting. But chances are his deal with the BBC was originial one season and out for that specific reason. Plus Tennant was already a favorite of Davies for the part (as they had been working together on Cassanova).

Davies is a shrewd operator. This entire thing was a media work from the beginning.

- Matt
    Student of Wan Yi Chuan Kung Fu,
    Kali, & what ever works
    Renaissance Martial Arts
    Rochester, NY

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 1:34pm

Style: MT (no, not "empty")

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Truculent Sheep

The second series is now on BBC1 on Saturdays. So far so good and they're bringing back K9 and the Cybermen!
    Christ, bringing back K9? At least i dont have to worry about Boxey bringing back Daggit on Battlestar Galactica.

Not over zealous, but just zealous enough. 病気の粗悪品

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 1:44pm

Style: Okinawan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by daigoro
    Christ, bringing back K9? At least i dont have to worry about Boxey bringing back Daggit on Battlestar Galactica.
    Oh ****!

I HATED that stupid kid, and that stupid robot!
    People often tell me that I fail to see the gravity of the situation.
    I see the gravity, and I say...

Step right up folks and watch me defy gravity!

KEIN HAAR APPROVED!

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 3:18pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Matt, I believe a liberal application of Occam's Razor is needed here. Reading between the lines, it all just seems like a few fortuitous coincidences and Russel T thinking on his feet.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12