Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Not over zealous, but just zealous enough. 病気の粗悪品

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 9:48am

Style: Okinawan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Dr. Who

Have any of you seen the remake of the old Dr. Who series?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/

It comes on here on the SciFi channel. I see that it is a bbc production so I assume that you in the UK have seen it. I have watched a few episods, and I feel it is okay. I think one of the main reasons I like it is that it is a trip down memory lane to see how they use so much from the old show (from the '60).

I hear some of the sounds and it makes me think of being a teen again, before I could drive and when I lived so far out in the country there was nothing else to do on a Saturday night but watch public television.

I don't know how many of you remember or have seen the old show with the curly headed dude with the long scarf.

I don't care for the Rose Tyler chick much in the new series. But I do like the new Doctor. The only thing I don't like about the show which is much like the old show is that the pace seems to be so slow. Too much standing around talking and looking at each other.

But all in all I like the show.
    People often tell me that I fail to see the gravity of the situation.
    I see the gravity, and I say...

Step right up folks and watch me defy gravity!

KEIN HAAR APPROVED!

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 10:23am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Overall the new series is great - personally I prefer Rose's long-suffering boyfriend, Mickey, to her as he's got far more pathos. Christopher Ecclestone was a great doctor too: troubled, tragic and conflicted, but witty and ruthless enough not to get too emo on us.

(For those who didn't know, Ecclestone jumped ship/Tardis after the first series over fears he would be type-cast. It also allowed the Beeb to reintroduce the Doc's ability to regenerate - or should be 'recast'? - to all the kiddies who weren't alive last time around.)

The second series is now on BBC1 on Saturdays. So far so good and they're bringing back K9 and the Cybermen! The new doctor, Neil Tennant, is great too: much more confident and assured, with a dash of cold mercilessness. It's good to have the Doctor back...

[SPOILER!] It's a shame about the other Time Lords on Gallifrey, though. EXTERMINATE!

Middleweight

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 10:34am

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Truculent Sheep
    (For those who didn't know, Ecclestone jumped ship/Tardis after the first series over fears he would be type-cast. It also allowed the Beeb to reintroduce the Doc's ability to regenerate - or should be 'recast'? - to all the kiddies who weren't alive last time around.)
    Actually, all signs point to the idea that Ecclestone was only contracted for one season. The producers made the correct choice not to start the series with a regeneration, but wanted to get to one quickly. Plus the feeling was in order to get Ecclestone, they promised him only one season.

Like many BBC media battles (with Sky1) even the "leak" of the regeneration was specially timed to ensure the most media coverage about Dr Who. So Ecclestone took one for the team and appeared as if he was "too-good" for the role.

- Matt
    Student of Wan Yi Chuan Kung Fu,
    Kali, & what ever works
    Renaissance Martial Arts
    Rochester, NY
  4. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 10:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everyone went on about the old ones...I tried to watch them but didn't get it.

I have no interest in seening a remake.

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 10:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Truculent Sheep
    Overall the new series is great - personally I prefer Rose's long-suffering boyfriend, Mickey, to her as he's got far more pathos. Christopher Ecclestone was a great doctor too: troubled, tragic and conflicted, but witty and ruthless enough not to get too emo on us.

The second series is now on BBC1 on Saturdays. So far so good and they're bringing back K9 and the Cybermen! The new doctor, Neil Tennant, is great too: much more confident and assured, with a dash of cold mercilessness. It's good to have the Doctor back...

[SPOILER!] It's a shame about the other Time Lords on Gallifrey, though. EXTERMINATE!
    For once it appears that y'all are ahead of us. We are still in the first season here. with Ecclestone as the Dr. We haven't seen the new Neil Tennant Dr. Is he as good as Ecclestone?

KEIN HAAR APPROVED!

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 11:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tennant is as good, but more understated.

---

Matt, the official line from the BBC is that he only had a one series contract, but that was spin: Ecclestone made his decision and the BBC reacted accordingly. However, Ecclestone's leaving was successfully handled, so any damage was prevented. If anything, Ecclestone is now guaranteed cult status precisely because he did a runner, and it was good PR for the series too. Compare that to Tom Baker - a Doctor for seven years - who had to be forced out to make way for Peter Davison in 1981!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 11:25am

Style: Kung Fu/TKD/MMA n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it's David, not Neil Tennant.
    I'm loving the new series, but I've always loved Dr Who, when I was little the old ones were shown at about 7pm on a friday night, it was great! I am also a bit of a geek, so Dr Who is great on that front too.

KEIN HAAR APPROVED!

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 11:37am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know it's David - but for some odd reason I keep mixing him up with Neil Tennant from the Pet Shop Boys.

[obscure allusion]It's a sin...[/obscure allusion]

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 12:16pm

Style: looking for new style

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Has anyone played the dalek game on the website that Rhamma posted? It fucking kicks ass

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 12:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Han
    Has anyone played the dalek game on the website that Rhamma posted? It fucking kicks ass
    Yes I did, it is fun! At first I though it was stupid until I started getting other components.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast