Posted On:
    5/10/2006 11:00am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Infrazael
    Nice to mee you Elnyka.
    Nice to meet you, too, and that was a nice post. Thanks.

I actually paid a visit to Florida Kung Fu this Monday, and I was impressed. They do teach SanShou, and it's ridiculously affordable w/o contracts (to me that's a cookie point in my book!) I inquired for the SanShou training and they told me that it was available, but first I they would put in my in their kickboxing program for a one or two months - they do that cuz they want to observe prospective students first, and let only those serious enough into their SanShou program.

BTW, I saw their form class on Monday - no sparring, just forms, but I could see the students sweating the crap out, and most of them appeared were in good shape (so that's another cookie point:)

Also, I was visiting a local judo club last night, and I'm starting training with them tonight. So I don't know how I would balance this with work and still have time and energy for SanShou, but I will figure out. I need to buy a pair of gloves and shinguards, so that would come around $60 (crap!) - I'm about to spend $120 for the registration fee and first month at the judo club (and probably I'll buy another gi). So I'm forced to postpone any extra expense for Sanshou for the next month - me kinda poor. I can afford both monthly fees, but not all the reg. fees and equipment at the same time :tongue6:

There is a lot of interesting historical material when it comes to CMA in this thread, so I guess I just have to sit down, read it all and try to synthesize it into a coherent enchilada :)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2006 10:41pm

Style: Choy Lay Fut Gung Fu, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elnyka
    Nice to meet you, too, and that was a nice post. Thanks.

I actually paid a visit to Florida Kung Fu this Monday, and I was impressed. They do teach SanShou, and it's ridiculously affordable w/o contracts (to me that's a cookie point in my book!) I inquired for the SanShou training and they told me that it was available, but first I they would put in my in their kickboxing program for a one or two months - they do that cuz they want to observe prospective students first, and let only those serious enough into their SanShou program.

BTW, I saw their form class on Monday - no sparring, just forms, but I could see the students sweating the crap out, and most of them appeared were in good shape (so that's another cookie point:)

Also, I was visiting a local judo club last night, and I'm starting training with them tonight. So I don't know how I would balance this with work and still have time and energy for SanShou, but I will figure out. I need to buy a pair of gloves and shinguards, so that would come around $60 (crap!) - I'm about to spend $120 for the registration fee and first month at the judo club (and probably I'll buy another gi). So I'm forced to postpone any extra expense for Sanshou for the next month - me kinda poor. I can afford both monthly fees, but not all the reg. fees and equipment at the same time :tongue6:

There is a lot of interesting historical material when it comes to CMA in this thread, so I guess I just have to sit down, read it all and try to synthesize it into a coherent enchilada :)
    I'm glad to be of service.

CLF forms are typically very stressful -- I was working on mirroring one form on my left-hand side (most of them are right-dominant), and ended up sweating like a ************ at the end. I'm won't compare form practice to jogging, sprinting, or other cardio, but you get a good cardio workout in a small space. Also, you get a chance to practice the technical aspect of your techniques, repeat different combinations, etc.

If that's all forms are good for, they're still worth keeping simply for the fact that you can achieve a relatively good workout in a short span. Again, these are only my experiences. I'm not comparing the cardio workout from a form vs. running, skipping, swimming etc. And forms ARE NOT FOR FIGHTING please don't ever ask them >__>. And forms, for most CMA players who like to fight, are a very minor priority, in case anyone was wondering. Basically you learn the drills, techniques and forms first. After a while most people stop doing the forms (they occupy mabye 5% or less of my time) and just start doing a ton of drills and combinations, much akin to boxing (along with some other exercises; isometrics, conditioning, etc). Ehhhhh I just digressed hella but if anyone were wondering what I thought CMA forms are for -- that's my thought. Take it or leave it.

As far as San Shou goes . . .. many of the throws are seen in Judo. Except you learn how to do it without the Gi, so I guess that's more adaptable to "t3h str33t" =_=

Yeah I know I hate the term too. Anyways, glad you enjoyed your visit there. I hope you find what you are looking for.

Peace
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345