Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 10:51am

Style: JKD, MuayThai, BJJ, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meng_mao
    Wait, so Raitaro, what was the resolution of the encounter? Cops pull you apart? You ran away? He ran away?
    Actually I got him to the ground with a strike to the head and walked away. Suprisingly he thought better of jumping up and attacking me.

Also i never said "OMG I Li3k h4\/3 UBeR J00dO Ski3|Lz!" Anyone can learn and use some basic throws which is exactly what I did.
    Last edited by Raitaro; 4/26/2006 10:55am at .

software engineer

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 11:32am

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raitaro
    Actually I got him to the ground with a strike to the head and walked away. Suprisingly he thought better of jumping up and attacking me.
    You turned your back to him? You didn't jet?

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 11:44am

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First off, I'm a pretty big guy at 6'2, 220. In my experience when I am fighting someone smaller who has some experience, I'd much rather go against a striker than a grappler. Having played football and done a fair amount of stand up sparring, I have very little fear of impact. Even if someone is quicker than me, it is uncommon that they can do much damage with strikes if I outweigh them by a fair margin. Short of an Arturo Gatti/Rich Franklin level of skill, I really have little fear of the power that a smaller person can dish out. Even if they connect, I'll wade through it and knock them out.

Even though my grappling skill is only passable, most small grapplers stand a far better chance at holding their own and/or submitting me. They are also far less likely to get hurt quickly. Even if we are only of comparable skill level, there is less of a chance that I can maul them quickly than if they had tried to stand up and pound with me.

With striking, if you are the smaller fighter, it is a very chancy situation. One shot and it may be over for you. You may not have enough power to do anything more than annoy your opponent. Plus, you may have to deal with reach issues, which may somewhat negate any differences in handspeed.

In grappling, you have less of a chance to be finished quickly. Speed can play a big factor. It is possible that the bigger guy will just out-muscle you, but you've also got a lot of techniques which don't rely on muscle. Chokes are your friend, and can drop even the most tough brawler.

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 12:17pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Also i never said "OMG I Li3k h4\/3 UBeR J00dO Ski3|Lz!" Anyone can learn and use some basic throws which is exactly what I did.
    You are full of ****.
    More human than human is our motto.

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 12:31pm

Style: JJ of the B variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno
    First off, I'm a pretty big guy at 6'2, 220. In my experience when I am fighting someone smaller who has some experience, I'd much rather go against a striker than a grappler. Having played football and done a fair amount of stand up sparring, I have very little fear of impact. Even if someone is quicker than me, it is uncommon that they can do much damage with strikes if I outweigh them by a fair margin. Short of an Arturo Gatti/Rich Franklin level of skill, I really have little fear of the power that a smaller person can dish out. Even if they connect, I'll wade through it and knock them out.

Even though my grappling skill is only passable, most small grapplers stand a far better chance at holding their own and/or submitting me. They are also far less likely to get hurt quickly. Even if we are only of comparable skill level, there is less of a chance that I can maul them quickly than if they had tried to stand up and pound with me.

With striking, if you are the smaller fighter, it is a very chancy situation. One shot and it may be over for you. You may not have enough power to do anything more than annoy your opponent. Plus, you may have to deal with reach issues, which may somewhat negate any differences in handspeed.

In grappling, you have less of a chance to be finished quickly. Speed can play a big factor. It is possible that the bigger guy will just out-muscle you, but you've also got a lot of techniques which don't rely on muscle. Chokes are your friend, and can drop even the most tough brawler.
    Can't argue with that. I'm 210 pounds and I get schooled by a 160 pound BJJ purple belt every time we go at it (strictly grappling, no strikes).

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 12:31pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Dee dee deeee!!!!

This is really just my opinion. But I think grappling is really overated.
    Recently I got jumped...when I say jumped I mean I was walking across the shops to buy lunch and a guy randomly jumped on my bag intending to forced me to the ground to stomp me. I threw him of and noticed we were roughly the same size and weight (he was slightly heavier) So because of this instead of going into a big elaborate test of my Judo skills I backed of warily and broght up my guard and I suppose you could say we had a boxing match :P.
    Everyone who has had a fight on "t3h str33t" knows that you wouldnt wanna wrestle with somone heavier than you and that its alot easier to just pick up somone smaller than you and throw him to the ground WWF style.
    I dont regret doing my Judo training due to the fact that its always useful no matter who your oponent is. So anyways the point was this guy was heavier. So instead of rushing in and grappling I decided to hang back and throw punches.
    So you preferred to go mano-a-mano with a larger opponent? So what the **** do you train in Judo for? Oh wait... you... really... don't...

When he jumped at me intending to grab//choke me or whatever I would catch him throw him of and start punching. The point is grappling and throws are important but you can survive without them.
    Two things...

... first...

... and, last but not least...

Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Professional Lurker

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 12:43pm

supporting member
     Style: None at the moment.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is why the internet should have an age restriction.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 12:49pm

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Admin, could we send this to Guantanamo Bay please?

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 1:04pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by babo78
    Can he send the thread's creator as well???
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 1:45pm

Style: none currently, ex-TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by babo78
    Thought Gitmo's only for 'Homeland' forum. You mean Trollshido.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast