Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    4/25/2006 4:36pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raitaro
    This is really just my opinion. But I think grappling is really overated. Recently I got jumped...when I say jumped I mean I was walking across the shops to buy lunch and a guy randomly jumped on my bag intending to forced me to the ground to stomp me. I threw him of and noticed we were roughly the same size and weight (he was slightly heavier) So because of this instead of going into a big elaborate test of my Judo skills I backed of warily and broght up my guard and I suppose you could say we had a boxing match :P. Everyone who has had a fight on "t3h str33t" knows that you wouldnt wanna wrestle with somone heavier than you and that its alot easier to just pick up somone smaller than you and throw him to the ground WWF style. I dont regret doing my Judo training due to the fact that its always useful no matter who your oponent is. So anyways the point was this guy was heavier. So instead of rushing in and grappling I decided to hang back and throw punches. When he jumped at me intending to grab//choke me or whatever I would catch him throw him of and start punching. The point is grappling and throws are important but you can survive without them.

Bolded text references author's assertion that he/she has trainied in judo. Author admits that said training consists entirely of reading books and practicing on brother. Welcome to Bullshido.
    Red text infers that author has knowledge of street encounters. The assertion that "everyone knows" anything is a logical fallacy (argumentum ad populi, I think). We are only interested in what you know based on experience. Your narrative indicates that you do not have sufficient experience to draw any meaningful conclusions pertaining to real-life street encounters.

Your thread title is therefore either deliberately trolling, or the result of a tragically inexperienced person. If you want that sugar-coated and served with warm milk go to MAP.

Lurk more. Post less.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    4/25/2006 4:36pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He's right. You lack the skillset to objectively judge your performance. There isn't any point arguing this.

While I do agree that in most situations striking is preferable to grappling, if you do not know grappling you are at a HUGE disadvantage* (if/when) grappling occurs.

* - Also know as being right fucked.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2006 4:39pm

Style: JKD, MuayThai, BJJ, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper
    Author admits that said training consists entirely of reading books and practicing on brother.
    And practising with people who did train in Judo. I learned the basics. Basic hip throws and stances. Which I have used in "street encounters" before.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2006 4:39pm

Style: none currently, ex-TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What if your strategy of grappling dosent work. What if you just suck. What if you get run over in an attempt to do a matrix back flip. If you get on the ground your screwed what im saying is Grapplign is overrated. Not useless or anything just overrated.

Jitsuman: I dont know nothing. Like I said I got corrected when I visited the Karate club. I suppose the Sifu guy dabbles in other Martial Arts aswell.
    Then why are you arguing that you don't need to know it at all, "cuz you could just throw and punch him"? The POINT is that if your strategy of grappling doesn't work, you'll at least be able to get out of a crap position, get to your feet and strike (or just plain run). Something you won't be able to do if you are like a fish out of water.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2006 4:43pm

Style: JKD, MuayThai, BJJ, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bodar
    Then why are you arguing that you don't need to know it at all, "cuz you could just throw and punch him"? The POINT is that if your strategy of grappling doesn't work, you'll at least be able to get out of a crap position, get to your feet and strike (or just plain run). Something you won't be able to do if you are like a fish out of water.
    Okay im logging of for tonight so dont expect me to reply to flames.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2006 4:48pm

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And practising with people who did train in Judo. I learned the basics. Basic hip throws and stances. Which I have used in "street encounters" before.
    How long did that person train in Judo and how much time did you randori? Because what you are claiming is kind of like this...

"I learned BJJ from books and instructional tapes, practiced on my brother, and rolled with friends who trained in BJJ."

That's crappling.

Takedown is part of grappling. It's your own mistake not to perform takedown and gain better positioning on ground. Especially if you claim to know Judo, why didn't you use your skills, take him down hard, and submitt or mount him?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2006 4:50pm

Style: none currently, ex-TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay im logging of for tonight so dont expect me to reply to flames.
    Yes, because collectively destroying your poorly thought out and argued position through superior logic and experience is "flaming". :lol: Ninja, please...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2006 4:52pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What if your strategy of grappling dosent work. What if you just suck. What if you get run over in an attempt to do a matrix back flip. If you get on the ground your screwed what im saying is Grapplign is overrated. Not useless or anything just overrated.
    If you suck, then train harder. I'm writing this stuff with the assumption that you're referring to someone with training. Entering a fight with a strategy (other than running away) when you don't train is like competing on Jeopardy when you're illiterate. You just (probably) don't have enough practical experience.

If you try to do a backflip in a fight, you deserve whatever's coming to you.

If you get on the ground and you're screwed, it's not grappling's fault, it's your fault.

Posted On:
    4/25/2006 5:00pm

Style: JJ of the B variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I said I learned from a book. I practiced on my brother and did some sparring at the local karate club. I can use these throws even if I dont do judo

No. Your under the impression I care what you think but I dont and Ill say unless I get banned or get tired of the place and leave. Now get your inflated head out your ass long enough to notice that having a dog shaped dildo is just sad.

Could there ever be more damning evidence of booger-eatery than the above comments?

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    4/25/2006 5:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Too bad people got to it before you Ukemi.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast