Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Wandering Daoist

Posted On:
    8/20/2002 10:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Out of all of them, I suppose you could say Mifune was the most skilled, Kimura the strongest, and Gracie somewhere inbetween.

Mifune vs Kimura, Mifune was smaller than Kimura, but conversely, Mifune busted his ass training to make up for it. Mifune had experience against bigger guys, so it'd be his skill vs. Kimura's size and strength. Of course, Kimura was good too, so I'd say there's no way to call this match definitively.

Mifune vs. Gracie, well, from what I heard of the match, Kimura's strength wasn't the deciding factor as much as his skill (i.e., Helio was able to endure the hard throws, but got caught in multiple subs). With Mifune's skill, he might be able to get Gracie in a more decisive submission quicker than Kimura did, but with Helio's fighting spirit, there's no telling what would happen.

--------------------
    And that's what I call REAL Ultimate Power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "The morning glory blooms for an hour. It differs not at heart from the giant pine, which lives for a thousand years."

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    8/21/2002 3:49am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is a link to a longer version to the match, it is 1min 51 sec long:

www.ribjj.com/asfroot/famous/kimura.htm

It clearly shows Helio getting dominated by Kimura.

>Hehe, it's funny on the Gracie in Action video Rorion is talking about how Helio lost to Kimura and 2 mins later he's saying "GJJ has never been defeated!".

There used to be a reveiw of the fight on the Gracie website. But it they made it sound like Helio put up a great fight and was close to submitting Kimura but it tape shows a VERY different story. I think the review changed when the video started getting circulated.

Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!! THE FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE AGAINST THE UNITED AUSSIE FRONT!!
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/30/2009 3:05pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Freestyle

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my opinion Kimura could absolutely defeat Mifune. Kimura trained incredibly hard by any standards and was able to think outside the box and be inventive with his training and was also a genetic freak. I believe he had the skill to stand his ground against Mifune but when you combine that with his great strength i could definitely see him winning.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2009 4:04pm

Style: BJJ, MACP (hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice. Necro'd a 7-year dead thread.

Posted On:
    1/03/2010 8:34pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The below link is an excerpt from "My Judo" by Masahiko Kimura. About halfway down the page, Kimura talks about his fight with Helio Gracie. It appears that the fight was a no-strike grappling match under Helio's ruleset where the only way to lose was via submission. Kimura was used to giving people concussions by throwing, but the ring they were fighting on was softer than the ones they fought on in Japan. So he just had to rework his usual strategy to finish Helio under Helio's rules and Helio's ring. I think it is obvious that BJJ has been enormously important to martial arts, but at the same time, it does help the BJJer when the floor is padded.

http://judoinfo.com/kimura4.htm

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    1/04/2010 1:06am

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ICY View Post
    Hehe, it's funny on the Gracie in Action video Rorion is talking about how Helio lost to Kimura and 2 mins later he's saying "GJJ has never been defeated!".
    The Graice story ia that before the fight Kimura was boasting that if Helio lasted longer than 3 minutes with him he (Kimura) would consider it a loss.

The fight lasted over 13 minutes, hence at least a "moral victory" for Helio.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12