Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 8:04pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Differant culture, differant times, differant weapons. It's one thing when a rebellion has to engage more or less face to face with as well or better armed and armored in a close quarters fight.

It's quite another when you're dealing with citizens voting from the rooftops at 500 yards.

**** you math class

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 8:07pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, Ballet, Archery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    Differant culture,
    Hardly.

differant times,
    Not important.

differant weapons.
    Actually, citizens would have had a better chance standing up to the military then than they do now. The Romans proved this too, with Spartacus. When all you have availible is swords and javelins, the citizens can, fairly easily, match your arsenal. When you have high explosives and other weapons that private citizens can't own en masse and can't replace with surrogates, it's significantly harder for private citizens to resist you.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 8:07pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd wager that a large majority of the military and police would defect, most military/LEO people tend to be gun owners in civilian life, firearms related message boards sometimes seem like every other person is a cop or former/current military.

a few million armed citizens is more then enough to deal with fancy weapons. No one is going tobe dumb enough to stand and engage a tank or helicopter with a rifle, but people cant live in tanks and helicopters forever.
    A rebellion with military support is a different beast than the a bunch of armed civilians somehow organizing into irregular units and defeating a modern army fit with chemical, biological and nuclear weapons, a navy and airforce.

Presuming that a popular uprising have a higher chance of success in modern times than in that of Ceasar is as ludicrous as this diversion.

EDIT: Jesus is faster, that fucker

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 8:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    Is there a situation in which PBF can't apply?

If there's one, I haven't found it, and I'm sure the author will have it covered before I do.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 8:10pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well **** it then. I guess since we can't fight the military we should just bow down and accept whatever the government does, huh?

If you pick your battles based solely on whether or not you can win them, then you're not really free anyway.

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 8:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You dames run with a wild crowd!

flamethrowers arent even regulated.
    Yeah, but good luck finding a good concealed rig for it!

(It would look cool on the gun rack in the back of the truck, though!)
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Middleweight

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 8:13pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well **** it then. I guess since we can't fight the military we should just bow down and accept whatever the government does, huh?

If you pick your battles based solely on whether or not you can win them, then you're not really free anyway.
    I don't live with the illusion of it anyway

**** you math class

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 8:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

You're missing the point. Saying you should be able to own weapons because you can fight the government is fallicious, because the government could march right over a citizen army. A gun owner can shoot, sure, but that doesn't make him an effective soldier.

That doesn't mean the government is an indominatable titan to be worshipped without question.

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 8:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGA JESUS-SAN
    You're missing the point. Saying you should be able to own weapons because you can fight the government is fallicious, because the government could march right over a citizen army. A gun owner can shoot, sure, but that doesn't make him an effective soldier.
    I think there are a number of modern precedents for lightly armed but highly motivated citizen militia groups successfully repelling an imperial power.

Afghanistan under the Soviets, and Vietnam under the USA, for example. THe primary tool of each insurrection was the kalashnikov rifle. THe locals suffered MASSIVE loss of life, but thats what happens when you Rebel against the Empire. Plus, history generally remembers them as sucessful.

PS - US servicemen are also US citizens. Also remember that the US' successful war of independence against the worlds greatest (at that time) superpower was as equally shocking to the people of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by MEGA JESUS-SAN
    That doesn't mean the government is an indominatable titan to be worshipped without question.
    A-fucking-men. I feel we are witnessing the slow slide into a new and improved fascism where corporate entities eclipse sovereign nation-states. In light of these developements, citizens need guns.

Tangent: if you live in a crowded urban area, there is no way 911 response is going to get to you quick enough to save you from a violent crime.

Not

Gonna

Happen.
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

**** you math class

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 8:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendetta
    I think there are a number of modern precedents for lightly armed but highly motivated citizen militia groups successfully repelling an imperial power.

Afghanistan under the Soviets, and Vietnam under the USA, for example. THe primary tool of each insurrection was the kalashnikov rifle. THe locals suffered MASSIVE loss of life, but thats what happens when you Rebel against the Empire. Plus, history generally remembers them as sucessful.
    The Afghans and Vietnamese weren't citizens who shot guns every Tuesday and Saturday at Bill's Shooting Shack, they were capable soldiers who had experience actually fighting.

PS - US servicemen are also US citizens. Also remember that the US' successful war of independence against the worlds greatest (at that time) superpower was as equally shocking to the people of the day.
    First, there's no reason to believe citizens won't kill citizens, because it happens all the time, especially when the citizens being killed are viewed as enemies to the country. In fact, you guys have said you will do it when Big Brother marches the military into your country, and the time comes to use those weekends at the range to save The World.

Second, the American Revolution and bringing armed forced into America are very different. Britain was fighting wars around the world, so it couldn't bring its full strength to bear on the colonies. The Americans also had the help of foreign powers, especially the French, which is no guarantee should the American government march soldiers into the country. Finally, the American revolutionaires got their **** handed to them too, before Washington was able to make an effective fighting force, and he was only given the time to do so on account of the other two factors.
    Last edited by MEGA JESUS-SAMA; 4/26/2006 8:35pm at .
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 ... LastLast