Sponsored Links Spacer Image

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    4/25/2006 6:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's nothing wrong with white belts learning gimmicks, so long as it doesn't interfere with their knowledge of the basics. I've had an instructor who taught the Twister to first-week white belts, under the rationale that it's "a good move". Works for me.

Of course, any white belt willing to venture out and attempt more complex moves should know the social and Internetical ramifications of fucking up become that much more severe. Kengou, if we ever see a video of you embarassing yourself grappling, the fact that you started a thread on the Twister will only exacerbate you e-beating. Consider yourself warned.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Middleweight

Posted On:
    4/25/2006 8:23pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapp
    I like to at least know what something is, how they are going to do it. Even if I am not going to try and apply it, at least I will know when someone is trying to set me up for it.

Im up to 4 stripes at the moment, but its always better to at least KNOW about submissions, no matter belt, stripes. Knowledge is power.
    Knowledge and understanding mean very little until you put in a lot of repetition and are able to apply that in at least somewhat meaningful way.

If knowledge was power in MA, then half the dorks here on bullshido would be MMA masters instead of theorists and nobodies.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2006 10:41pm

Style: TKD; BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boyd: I'm actually entering my first tourny on May 20th, so you'll get to flame me all you want once I post the vid. And I highly doubt I'll get the twister or even attempt it. It's just something I was introduced to and have gotten a few times while rolling.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/03/2006 4:56pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting technique this, I've been reading up on Eddie Bravo alot lately.

I especially like the old school sweep from half guard, but the twister, I've heard that spine locks are now illegal therefore theres not much point in practising it?

I do think its very cool, but due to it being illegal, I'm not so sure about it.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/03/2006 5:29pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Locu5
    Never used it, haven't drilled it. The only thing close that I own is the same lock from the back (with one hook). OK, on a related note: does anyone actively use Twister Side Control and how do you like it?
    In my experience you need to be either completely dominating your opponent through side control progression OR your opponent is distracted/makes a mistake and you are able to transition into it (but then you have to quickly flow into your next position whether its a twister attempt or not). I've practiced the twister and the set up but have never been able to pull it off during fully resistant randori.

Bravo is a technical badass for sure.

What's even more intersting are the examples of twister transitions that do not start from twister side control. I've seen a few on the net but can't remember where.

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    9/04/2006 12:14am

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So what is the twister exactly? I've heard it called a neck crank, some call it a spine lock... Apparently it can tear up **** in your legs too. So, what is it? A combination of the above?
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    9/04/2006 12:20am

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Er...study the links?

It attacks your hip and spine.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/04/2006 9:42am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Villain
    It depends on the tournament and venue. Besides, why throw out a good move if it works?
    Hi, I'm not so much throwing it out - infact I think its a great technique, and along with the old school it seems like a high percentage move of getting into that position.
    I would like to find out more on the rules of competitions in the US though, I am from the UK and all competitions I know of (gi and no gi) ban spine locks.
    Thanks.

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    9/04/2006 9:45am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have tried several times and been unable to pull this off. Has anyone actually managed to do it?

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    9/04/2006 10:08am

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am from the UK and all competitions I know of (gi and no gi) ban spine locks.
    Start your own tourney.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast