Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 6:06pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

hand injuries

sorry, i really didnt know where to post this cuz my question is about training MMA (with grappling included, obviously), not just striking.

im starting MMA on wednesday and i'm wondering how frequent hand injuries are in training. I'm a guitarist in a band so if my hands are fucked up, that = no money for ryanand.

this is probably gonna get trollshidoed but i have to get going so ill end it here.

thank you for the help.

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 6:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Health forum
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 9:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thank you very much

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    4/25/2006 6:43am

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hand injuries are not frequent but a definite possibility. You can lower the risk by choosing a good gym/instructor who is focused on safety. You may find your hands are fatigued more often as you are giving them a double-dose of action. Take it easy and try it out. In the end, I think you will enjoy it; it is very rewarding.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    4/25/2006 8:35am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wear wraps and gloves. I don't know of anyone at my boxing gym that hurt their hands while wearing proper gear and practicing safely.

I do know a few that hurt themselves not wearing the right gear while saying they'd go light or whatever.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    4/25/2006 10:08am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I understand you correctly, you are saying your hands are your livelihood, yet you also wish to intentionally seek out a 'hobby' which puts them at much greater risk for injury.

Good luck with that. Let us know how it works out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2006 3:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    If I understand you correctly, you are saying your hands are your livelihood, yet you also wish to intentionally seek out a 'hobby' which puts them at much greater risk for injury.

Good luck with that. Let us know how it works out.
    not my livelihood, but a source of supplementary income nonetheless.

i like fighting a lot. and ive never done MMA so why not go and ask some people who have a clue how frequent injuries are?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2006 3:52pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanand

i like fighting a lot. and ive never done MMA so why not go and ask some people who have a clue how frequent injuries are?
    I can't speak for MMA, but for boxing... Even with larger, more padded boxing gloves and proper hand wraps, my hands are sometimes sore after training. But with MMA training you probably won't just be punching-punching-punching-punching-punching for hours at a time, so that might make a difference.

I've also jammed my thumbs a few times, which is another thing to watch out for. Nothing major, but some discomfort.

Basically, I'm saying the risk of hand injury- at least minor injury- is there, so it's a risk to take if you need your hands for supplemental income.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 5:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanand

You can break the 4th and/or 5th metacarpal bones in your hand in any number of ways doing any number of things. But, even orthopedic surgeons will explain it to laymen as a boxer's fracture. It got that nickname for a reason.

They are your hands. Do what you want with them. Regardless of the increased risk of breakage, I think a better question you need to ask yourself is whether you can live with the potential consequences. Not only should you be contemplating the downtime spent recovering from an injury, but the potential that any hand injury will not heal well enough to give you back the dexterity needed to play more intricate guitar fingering.

FWIW, I've never seriously injured my hands by hitting things. I've badly injured my right hand in other ways, however.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 5:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The stronger your hands, wrists and fore arms, the less chance of injury. IE start lifting.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast