Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 3:45pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A Questionable Business Practice Adventure- TSK

As part of my plan to visit every martial arts class currently meeting in NYC (note: not an actual plan) I have decided to visit Tiger Schulmann's Karate.

I have not heard terrible things about the program itself- they seem to offer to kickboxing and no-gi grappling, and I can bring my kids! (note: I do not have kids) They also seem to have a presence at a variety of competitions- you can't walk 3 feet at a NAGA without smacking into a TSK(tm) rashguard.

So, I signed up for an introductory lesson. The lesson had to be booked more than a week in advance- they do not seem to be hurting for new business. They even took my credit card number! And appear to have charged me the full introductory rate, without my having even entered the building!

In conclusion, I suppose I have to attend the lesson now, as I appear to be down a big hunk of money regardless. Stay tuned for more corporate martial arts fun. My guess is that the place will provide a fairly good level of instruction, and have really nice equipment, but engage in the hard sell, along with the long term contract.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 4:09pm

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfOlives
    As part of my plan to visit every martial arts class currently meeting in NYC (note: not an actual plan) I have decided to visit Tiger Schulmann's Karate.

I have not heard terrible things about the program itself- they seem to offer to kickboxing and no-gi grappling, and I can bring my kids! (note: I do not have kids) They also seem to have a presence at a variety of competitions- you can't walk 3 feet at a NAGA without smacking into a TSK(tm) rashguard.

So, I signed up for an introductory lesson. The lesson had to be booked more than a week in advance- they do not seem to be hurting for new business. They even took my credit card number! And appear to have charged me the full introductory rate, without my having even entered the building!

In conclusion, I suppose I have to attend the lesson now, as I appear to be down a big hunk of money regardless. Stay tuned for more corporate martial arts fun. My guess is that the place will provide a fairly good level of instruction, and have really nice equipment, but engage in the hard sell, along with the long term contract.
    There are bunch of current TSK and ex-TSK student on this site. If you didn't sign any contract and they charged your cc. You should be able to work that out with TSK and cancel it. If you don't sign contract, they shouldn't have charged you. I'm not lawyer but I'm pretty sure that's their policey.

They did not charge my cc at all until I signed contracts and decided on payment method/plan. I'm a current student at Great Neck and here's my review
    http://www.bullshido.net/modules.php...article&id=188

Edit: In my personal opinion, don't expect too much from submission grappling. No real bullshido there but not enough matt or roll time is spent unless you plan to train mostly in kick box and grappling class and skip core.
    Last edited by babo78; 4/24/2006 4:16pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 5:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you man- how is it going there for you now, since the review?

I plan on figuring out what happend with the charges. For a fun time, by the way, look up "daniel schulmann" on westlaw or lexisnexis.

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 5:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do me a favor.When you're there.Count how many BMW's and Corvette's are parked outside?

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 7:35pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did you agree to pay for the introductory lesson?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 8:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No sir- I will figure out exactly what they did when I do my "intro lesson". In NY there is a law requiring that you grant a refund for any gym type situation within three days from the time that any contracts are signed.

My guess is that I will be able to get a refund, if need be, after being handed off to seven or eight different people.

Also, Mr. Canuck, you are well aware that corvettes and bmws are not parked on the street, but rather left with the karatevalet.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 8:18pm

Style: Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who does not so much drive them as he does uses his incredibly deadly Tiger Karate to punch them into the proper place.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2006 7:07am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    Do me a favor.When you're there.Count how many BMW's and Corvette's are parked outside?
    Pending location of school but on Long Island...there are much BWMs and Corvette's as kids during children's class. If you hit Queens locations, not much at all.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2006 7:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfOlives
    Thank you man- how is it going there for you now, since the review?

I plan on figuring out what happend with the charges. For a fun time, by the way, look up "daniel schulmann" on westlaw or lexisnexis.
    Yes, I'm aware of the legal troubles surrounding TSK's method and some cases they were invovled in. I spent decent amount of time researching before I joined up.

Right now, I sustained an injury and been out for a while. Physical therapy is almost over so I'll be going back soon unless MRI says something different. Some class programs and way TSK is run (by corp. not by instructors), are bit questionable to me. But mostly I'm satisfied and all the negatives I have about TSK is made up by quality of instructors' at my location.

Edit: I'm actually thinking about readd Judo (Spartak) on Sundays because currently it looks like I won't be free on Sat for classes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2006 8:12am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mr Villain: they asked for my credit card number to "reserve my spot".

As for why I provided it, I am curious as to just how sketchily they will treat me. I am aware that it is generally a bad idea to provide one's credit card numbers to random people who ask for them over the phone.

Email is ok though. That's how I made 40 million dollars, by working with this guy from Nigeria.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast