Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 7:34am

Style: MMA noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are probably right, I think they are over-comitting to the throw, and when it doesnt work they find themselves in the poo. Does that mean I should look for another club, as these guys are blue belts and incapable of pulling off a throw. We do train full force against resisting opponents for probably 70% of the 1 and a half hour lesson, so wouldnt you expect these guys to be overly half arsed. Although it is a young class, most of these guys have are 18 and have just come through from the junior section of the club, wheras I am probably the second oldest in the club at a young 25, and am a lot stockier than these guys that seem to have just finished their growth spurts.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 7:42am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kave
    I am only a judo noobie (white belt) and the majority of my fights would be against blue belts. I dont believe they crosstrain and we dont do no gi fighting. Also, although I am a noob to judo, I do have some grappling experience. I have found standing chokes really easy to get, and have also subbed a few guys with the good old-fashioned bear hug. Bear in mind that we only train twice a week and do not have the physiques of pro sportspeople, who I am sure would just outmuscle a bear-hug.

You subbed a guy...with a bearhug?

I am 6'4" and 310

I have never subbed anyone with a bearhug.

Just sayin'

The sub you describe above sounds a little . . . unorthadox as well.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 7:45am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kave
    For example, from behind you place your right arm around the neck, your knee in the back, and pull the head down so you have a headlock where your opponent is bending in the opposite direction to normal, and you are supporting their weight on their neck. Their face is in your armpit which is always amusing after a hard workout. To keep them standing up as opposed to allowing them to collapse their legs, you keep the top of their head angled towards the ground, which puts pressure on the neck and spine (very unpleasant)
    The problem with this kind of stuff is that, even if it works, you had the position to choke them out when you started. I see no reason to ever start on all this spine manipulation stuff when you could just RNC them gently to sleep.

Have you ever hit this move against a fully resisting opponent?
    Last edited by PointyShinyBurn; 4/24/2006 7:48am at .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12