Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 6:12am

Style: MMA noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Stand up grappilng

Recently I have noticed that the Judo class I am in does not seem to put any focus whatsoever on gaining submissions from a standing position. I was wondering if it was just the fact that my class was unusual, or do most judo schools have this blindspot? The grappling stuff I have been training with my medievil group is largely locks and chokes etc from standup, and I really enjoy it, unfortunately very little time in this class is given to grappling. Any grappling style that you guys know of place this emphasis on the standup work?

Middleweight

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 6:20am

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some Koryu Japanese Jujutsu styles do a lot of stand up.

The reason for the lack of it in Judo is that it is very hard to catch a trained person in a standing submission because of the ease of mobility. It is very hard to put a lock on someone who knows what they are doing............This doesn't mean that it is impossible but very unlikely -unless you are fighting a complete brick. BJJ and some subgrappling schools have submissions but I am sure that the bulk of the subs come from groundwork because of the added body control.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 6:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have just found that if someone goes for a throw and misses, they are offering me their back, and instead of trying to reverse the throw it is just as easy to choke them, and they always seem so suprised when I do. Could it be because of the ban on spinelocks in judo, as a lot of stand-up grappling moves I have been taught involve spine locks.
    Last edited by Kave; 4/24/2006 6:45am at .

Middleweight

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 6:47am

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Standing RNC is good............

Standing spine locks???????? Do explain?
    I have no idea how you can effectively isolate the spine while standing against a competent grappler?

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 6:49am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kave
    I have just found that if someone goes for a throw and misses, they are offering me their back, and instead of trying to reverse the throw it is just as easy to choke them, and they always seem so suprised when I do.
    This is more or less one of the standard BJJ anti-Judo strategies.
    a lot of stand-up grappling moves I have been taught involve spine locks.
    For example? Have you ever practiced these moves on fully resisting opponents?

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 6:50am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What spinelocks/submissions are you using standing up?
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 6:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For example, from behind you place your right arm around the neck, your knee in the back, and pull the head down so you have a headlock where your opponent is bending in the opposite direction to normal, and you are supporting their weight on their neck. Their face is in your armpit which is always amusing after a hard workout. To keep them standing up as opposed to allowing them to collapse their legs, you keep the top of their head angled towards the ground, which puts pressure on the neck and spine (very unpleasant)
    Last edited by Kave; 4/24/2006 7:06am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 7:10am

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have just found that if someone goes for a throw and misses, they are offering me their back, and instead of trying to reverse the throw it is just as easy to choke them, and they always seem so suprised when I do. Could it be because of the ban on spinelocks in judo, as a lot of stand-up grappling moves I have been taught involve spine locks.
    This is partially true and what color belt students were you sparring with? If Judoka cross trains or does no-gi, it's not easy to get their back at all.

As for standing submissions, most of them are very difficult to get, and not easily held. Basically, most of them are low probability move.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 7:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am only a judo noobie (white belt) and the majority of my fights would be against blue belts. I dont believe they crosstrain and we dont do no gi fighting. Also, although I am a noob to judo, I do have some grappling experience. I have found standing chokes really easy to get, and have also subbed a few guys with the good old-fashioned bear hug. Bear in mind that we only train twice a week and do not have the physiques of pro sportspeople, who I am sure would just outmuscle a bear-hug.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 7:24am

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if you can choke them, they obviously dont have your balance before going for the throw. Sounds like they need to go practice their Kuzushi more. Trying to throw a guy before he is unbalanced is like trying to throw a tree out in your yard.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast