Administrator

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 4:25am

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Why are you into firearms?!

Wondering the thought process with members regarding why they buy, and shoot/train.

About a year or two ago, I got into a pissing match with Strong Machine, where he brought up shooting someone, which I was opposed too and came off as anti gun. Which I was not.

Last year, I couldn't train, I hurt myself badly in a weightlifting accident that left me semi paralyzed. A good day would have me controlling my legs at about 30 percent it's normal range and power. I could walk, but one misstep and I was falling down. Since I could not train, and not able to defend myself, I opted into getting my CCW, and getting trained.

My back has healed, though I haven't been back to American Top Team for over a month and half now due to it flaring up. I think I'm okay again to go back. One thing is constant though... I only need 5 lbs of pressure from my pointer finger.

I can't remember if it was Relson or Rickson said, "Gracie Jiu Jitsu is the best fighting art one on one, for more than one, I use my 45".

I enjoy shooting and honing my skills for defensive gun fights, and enjoy shooting targets. My forays into hunting were enjoyable, though the time it took to acutally shoot was too long for me, and well, boring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 7:54am

Style: BJJ, MACP (hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like the smell of gunpowder.

And I like to put holes in things.

Having said that, I feel as a soldier it behooves me to have competency in all weapons, be they firearms, field knife, e-tool or whatever I can pick up and use. Knowing I can drill my target center mass gives me confidence. Confidence that should I go into combat again, I'll be able to keep my soldiers and myself secure and unscathed.

No...**** that. I just like putting holes in things. :)

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 8:08am

Style: Boxing, Solar Ray Attack

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I enjoy target shooting. Just me, the gun and a soon to be dead whatever...
    http://woodwardswhiskey.wordpress.com/

He was punching him like the collective karmic debt he'd accrued was coming to collections, mostly on his face.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 8:10am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It makes Europeans uncomfortable.

"Nnnnnnnnnn"
    -Marge Simpson

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 8:13am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I kind of have a similar story.

I've always liked firearms, but when I got injured in class moderately bad I realized that I'm not going to be perfectly healthy for the rest of my life. It's one thing to know you can fight people off when you're 20, 30, 40, etc. But at 90 I don't see myself kicking the crap out of some dickhead who wants my wallet.

Firearms are an equalizer and as long as you can exert a few pounds of pressure on a trigger, you can defend yourself.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 8:15am

Style: Arnis, judo, Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Family Ties

My family has alway been into shooting in one form or another. When I was less then a year old my dad bought me my first shotgun (ithica feather weight 12 Bottom eject.) although it would be several years before I could fire it. That being said i started shooting seriously at 10 years old in a junior rifle league. We shot .22lr and i took 2nd place in my age group for the year. I have been shooting competitively on and off since then the best being my first year in collage and this last year. My father was a police officer for a number of years and was a member of the govenors 50 (PM if you are curious about this). He had been shooting since he was a boy and his step dad had taught him how.

As I get older shoot has taken on The role of a good way for me to spend time with my dad. We spend about 1 day a week at the range shooting and having fun. He has taught me everything from reloading my own cartridges to combat shotgun techniques. So in alot of way sthat is as good as any reason I can give why I shoot.

Lastly I enjoy all the precision envolved with firearms and shooting. I have built my own fire arms from premanufactured parts. I reload my own shells, and get great satisfaction from shooting targets that look like an ace of clubs at 300yds.
    (which has only happened once.)

Those are my reasons.
    Last edited by Planktime; 4/24/2006 8:20am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 8:16am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know what's fun? Dropping the mag out of your 1911, locking the slide to the rear, inspecting the chamber for a round that might not have ejected (safety safety safety), handing the cleared and safe weapon to someone who has either no knowledge or an extreme loathing of firearms and watch them squirm and say "but it might go off..."

Wait...no. That's just sad. So why does it make me giggle every time it happens?

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 8:19am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mostly because of Kat and her making me see the light (I used to be a total anti-gun idiot because of the influence of my hippy dad).

Also...

Terminator, Equilibrium, The Matrix, Boondock Saints, Gunslinger Girl etc.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 8:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love it when a woman "sees the light", as they can benefit most from a good firearm and better training.

However Ashly, I think you and Kat are exceptions, as you could probably smoke most of the people I know without help.

Now get your finger off that trigger. ;)

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 8:26am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Terminator never cared about gun safety...
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast