Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 1:09am

Style: ...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Anyone heard of the TMA (The Martial Art) Center in Atlanta?

<font face="Arial" size="5">Has anyone heard of the TMA (The Martial Art) Center in Atlanta, Georgia?

They have classes teaching a blend of Okinawan Shuri-ryu Karate and Shintoyoshin-Kai Jiu Jitsu. The head instructor is a guy by the name of "Michael Hernandez, Renshi

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 2:15am

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

good school

It's a good school. Know the instructor. Nice guy, good solid lineage, and they are in touch with alot of other karate guys that are top-notch in both arts also.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 2:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All those are good choices. All the schools can fight. Good quality guys everywhere.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 2:35am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    (Edit by GG: Please don't use ridiculous font sizes) I'm kinda leaning towards Velocity for the time being because they are the only place I've gotten around to calling and their membership price seems quite reasonable.

Here's another question for everyone:

As I may have mentioned before, CURRENTLY, I'm not really looking into fighting competitively... just want to get in shape and learn to protect my ass, but who knows if that may change down the line. Anyway, I would like to get as well of a rounded training I can if I'm going to really get into this thing. I'm currently thinking about starting off with jiu jitsu and kickboxing. I heard mixed opinions about "cross-training". Some people suggested that since I'm not in the greatest shape to begin with... I should probably focus on kickboxing and work on my conditioning, flexibility, etc. before I move onto jiu jitsu and the likes. Any merit to this suggestion?

Thanks again for all your replies!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 2:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Villian,

Tried to send you a private message, but I got an error about having permission or something. Anyway, do you know anything about the alliance instructor and school at midtown? Do you roughly know how much they charge per month?

Thanks!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 11:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    nothing wrong with doing both mt and bjj. They are good complements to each other for learning to fight competitively, probably a lot better than doing pressure-point death knockouts and aikido for the ring. A good base is one grappling art and one striking art, which should cover most of your ranges. Once you learn how to blend them well, you only need to add supplementary things from other systems. The reason people combine the two above is that Thai boxing has such hard, fast kicks and hurt when they hit, and the fighting is very physical. The other is that the BJJ is superior to anything on the ground, even the Japanese JJ because they constantly practice with resistance and specialize in the ground stuff. The Japanese vs. B JJ is a different training philosophy and takes a bit more to learn to separate the archaic moves from the immediately applicable ones. The Japanese JJ is more for well-roundedness of combat at all ranges, but the BJJ covers the best ground stuff and has modifications from the Japanese that make the moves work really well. The stand-up for BJJ isn't as good as the Japanese stuff, but then again, with the MT you have standup techniques that you can use instead.

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    4/25/2006 5:49am

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Villain, was this the school on Krog St.? Who was running the class (if you remember)? I ask because I think that is Traven's school and his instruction style, in my brief experience, is much more hands-on.

dandoe123, where in the city are you? My recommendation, obviously, is the Sandy Springs Alliance with Jacare and Manu, but if that is not practical for you, please consider avoiding the Velocity schools, though I have to admit a bias (school rivalry and all that). The Steve Headen show is highly over-rated.

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    4/25/2006 7:58am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Japan Junkie
    nothing wrong with doing both mt and bjj. They are good complements to each other for learning to fight competitively, probably a lot better than doing pressure-point death knockouts and aikido for the ring. A good base is one grappling art and one striking art, which should cover most of your ranges. Once you learn how to blend them well, you only need to add supplementary things from other systems. The reason people combine the two above is that Thai boxing has such hard, fast kicks and hurt when they hit, and the fighting is very physical. The other is that the BJJ is superior to anything on the ground, even the Japanese JJ because they constantly practice with resistance and specialize in the ground stuff. The Japanese vs. B JJ is a different training philosophy and takes a bit more to learn to separate the archaic moves from the immediately applicable ones. The Japanese JJ is more for well-roundedness of combat at all ranges, but the BJJ covers the best ground stuff and has modifications from the Japanese that make the moves work really well. The stand-up for BJJ isn't as good as the Japanese stuff, but then again, with the MT you have standup techniques that you can use instead.
    Does Hannibal have two accounts now?

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    4/25/2006 8:16am

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Villain
    By "bias" he means that he's obligated to say that upon signing up. But really, I've heard the stories about Headen and they don't sound like a group I'd wanna fight for. Plus, my teammate just beat the **** out of their BJJ coach. LOL
    Heh, yeah. Having hung with Bull a lot, I have heard a number of stories. Instead, you should look at the feeder fights, Headen's losses (for instance to a BJJ blue and the gassing), the predatory culture, the way they treat some of their instructors, etc. Not to say that some of their top guys are not good, Raphael comes to mind. In person, they left a bad taste in my mouth all 3 times I have had dealings with them, once at the school, once at a fight (where one of their fighters and his 2 friends postured up to me and a mate), and once at a tournament. YMMV, yes I am biased. Rah rah team and all that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/06/2006 1:56am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all the replies. Sorry I haven't replied in return. I've been out of the loop for a bit.

I'm currently residing in Decatur... near Emory University.

I guess I'm kinda leaning towards Velocity right now just because it's not that far from where I live and talked with morrison butler from the gym and supposedly i can take all the kickboxing, muay thai, and BJJ classes for $69/month.

Like I said before, my primary reason is just to get in shape and learn something to protect my ass. I'll be lying however if I were to say that I'll never be interested in trying my luck out at one of the tournaments.

Speaking of tournaments, when you guys fight in these for the first time, do they try to match you up with someone of similar experience or is it just luck of the draw? In addition, how do you know if you are ready for one of these tournaments?

Thanks!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast