Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/23/2006 7:02pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

WMRO

I was reluctant to take photos -- I wasn't sure the world was ready yet -- but I did. Now I am hesitant to share them, not sure you are deserving. And while you're not, here they are anyway.

The Reverse Omoplata Guard Passes

These passes grew out of my love of pinning the arms with my legs while passing guard. They really developed after I watched Taking the Back in Marcelo's second set and saw how he takes the back and the crucifix while passing guard. I also owe Luis' SoFlo DVD and its forklift pass. At first I was just pinning the arm with my knee and flipping them to turtle, but then I was left with the problem of still getting the crucifix and crossing the arm back. So I started looking for a way to skip that. Once I'd chopped up the techniques that Marcelo and Luis taught, I recombined them so I could pass straight to the reverse omoplata trigger position (crucifix on knees with arm back). And this made me smile.

These setups work well with normal guard passes because common defences often help you get them (such as posting on your hip to block the pass, or grabbing your sleeves to try to stop an under pass). And if you find you're having too much trouble doing these setups, you're still good to just drop them and finish the standard guard pass.

They also work gi and no-gi, though gi is obviously easier since you've got cloth to grab.

Enough blah blah blah. Here they are:

1. Standing guard pass to reverse omoplata
    2. Double under pass to reverse omoplata
    3. Quicky under pass to reverse omoplata
    I was worried that it might be considered redundant to demonstrate three passes that are so similar. But that quickly passed when I realized I'm awesome and there's no such thing as too much of the reverse omoplata.

I have a fourth variation I do with the gi. Just replace grabbing the thighs with grabbing the belt to lift their hips.

BONUS...!

This next bit is rather simple and may appear obvious, but I have yet to see many people actually do it to get the crucifix and instead just complain about how hard it is to get the arm out with their knee alone.

Sideride detail -- pulling the arm

While this last one may seem like a comedy option (especially when I obviously have the choke in all these photos) I have actually used it when someone is defending their neck really well, especially when they have a gi to grab. That doesn't make it any less funny.

Comedy reverse omoplata from rear mount

You can also just use the first part (passing the arm under the hook) and switch to a one-on-one on the other arm. This leaves them with no arms, and you with a free one for the RNC. Then if they start escaping rear mount, you've still got their arm trapped and can switch to the crucifix.

Good night, and God Bless America.
    Last edited by Shuma-Gorath; 4/23/2006 7:06pm at .

Posted On:
    4/23/2006 7:33pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aesopian
    BONUS...!

This next bit is rather simple and may appear obvious, but I have yet to see many people actually do it to get the crucifix and instead just complain about how hard it is to get the arm out with their knee alone.
    Guilty.

Thanks for the techniques. As soon as my ribcage is in one piece again, I'll be trying a few of them out.

God bless America.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    4/23/2006 8:11pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is a reverse omoplata?

Posted On:
    4/23/2006 8:23pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/23/2006 11:02pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    that would never work on me, my insano guard would **** your **** up!

i never thought to attempt a crucifix from an underpass, thanks for that. i'll try it soon.

Still digging on James Brown

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 1:55am

Style: BJJ & Judo (1k)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I could figure out what the RO in the thread title meant without reading the thread, but WM?

The reverse omoplata from top turtle rocks the house! Tried it last week and that is some crazy strong medicine. My club now fears my devastating arsenal (3 moves) of turtle destruction. Never got the submission directly from it yet because I realize you can **** people up good if you do the roll to recklessly but I just adore the position I'm after the sweep.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 3:00am

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Weapons of Mass- as in weapons of mass destruction-WMD.

Nice pics to Aeso, I can't wait to try em out on some unsuspecting victim.