Style
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Any good gym out there for the "noobies"?

(Edit by GG: Say no to silly sized fonts)after many years of letting local kindergarten school kids steal my milk money, I figure it's about time that I do something about it. Besides, milk does a body good and if I want to grow big and tall, I probably need my milk money although people do tell me at that at the tender age of 27, I'm probably done growing bigger and taller and can only really get fatter. Anyway, on a more serious note, I've been interested in taking up BJJ and/or kickboxing in the hopes of getting my lazy ass into shape and maybe learn something to protect myself in the future should those bastards try to steal my milk money again. I found three possible gyms around here (velocity kickboxing, alliancebjj, and the martial arts center off of n. druid hills road) and I was hoping all you experts can chime in and offer your suggestions.

I guess my biggest conern is how good these places are at training a complete "noobie" at the sport. I've heard some reviews about these places, but these were from mostly individuals who have been in the sport for many many many many years. I don't mind getting thrown around here and there as I'm used to it from those damn kindargarten kids, but I'd rather not pay for a membership only to be used as a practice dummy. In addition, I noticed that some places (alliance) have specific times set aside for beginners whereas places like velocity really don't.

Second concern/question is whether there are any advantages/disadvantages of joining a "school" like alliance compared to a "gym" like velocity. I figure I'd be getting a more "formal" education at one of the schools, but then at a gym I'd also have access to stuff like free weights and the likes.

Thanks in advance.

Next concern/question is the training you get in a Gi class any different from a no Gi class? I asked someone what the difference was and was told that in one class you wear the traditional clothings and the other you don't. Is that REALLY the only difference?
    Last edited by dandoe123; 4/23/2006 11:14pm at .

Style
    Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Change font plz.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Style
    TKD, Ballet, Archery
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    (edit by GG: It was funny...but no more...thx)TINY FONTS ARE FOR EFFEMINATE QUEERS AND BEARDLESS YOUTHS (SO ARE LOWERCASE LETTERS). A MAN MAKES SURE EVERYONE KNOWS WHAT HE HAS TO SAY, BY MAKING IT TAKE UP THE ENTIRE PAGE.

LOOK AT ME, I USE GIGANTIC FONTS AND EVERYONE AGREES THAT I RULE.

Style
    TKD; BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "I guess my biggest conern is how good these places are at training a complete "noobie" at the sport."

Don't worry about it, I think most teachers are fully prepared to teach someone with no experience. Just ask alot of questions and you'll improve.

"Next concern/question is the training you get in a Gi class any different from a no Gi class? I asked someone what the difference was and was told that in one class you wear the traditional clothings and the other you don't. Is that REALLY the only difference?"

Pretty much. With a gi, you learn to grapple using gi grips and you learn different gi chokes. With no-gi, you just learn to grapple using over/underhooks, head control, and stuff like that. Not as many grips, a faster game, and harder to submit someone.

Style
    MT/SUB GRAPPLING
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Perfect gym for noobs

Style
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    looks too dangerous to me. any other suggestions?

Style
    MT/SUB GRAPPLING
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go into each of the schools, see how their classes are run and voice your concerns.

your choice should depend upon the answers the instructors give you.

I would choose the teacher that seems least concerned about your health and well being and the most concerned about having you commit to a long-term non-negotiable binding contract preferably where you sign in blood and give up custody to one or more future children.