Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2006 4:01pm

Style: Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The Inevitable Comparison

Personally I am just starting to get into the world of martial arts, and I'm making sure to keep a weather eye out for the signs of bullshit.
    Ive been doing Kali for about two months now, and I really enjoy it, though due to a tight schedule I can only attend class once or twice a week. In addition to the Jiu Jitsu that I take.
    It struck me the other day that there is much more as far as martial weapons training out in the world.

So here's the question, and I am calling upon the veteran gods of knowledge to answer me here;
    in an unbiased opinion what is the best style for practical (ability to attack and defend effectively) bladed weaponry use.
    Now I am not so stupid as to pretend that one style is clearly in a rank above all others and I have just merely never heard of this mythical art before.
    I understand that many are hard to compare or some may be different but equal.
    Thus in the event that you cannot pick one that you feel ranks above the best, then name which ones you believe are valid in learning.

EDIT: Also preferrably supplying information and background information on why you believe in your opinion. I would like to avoid random internet strangers saying erroneous things as random internet strangers tend to do.

So far as I understand Krav Maga and Kali are both at begining to intermidiate levels very effective and you will be hard pressed to beat.

I apologize in advance for this question being so vague, and I expect to get a ration of **** for it, since it hasn't been asked here in the armory yet. I figured I would.

(I just KNOW someones going to post a link and then I'm going to feel like a dumbass.)
    Last edited by Binary; 4/23/2006 4:22pm at .

Posted On:
    4/23/2006 4:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IMO, Arnis.

I'd like to say Silat, but i haven't actually done any. Looks evil though.
    :new_all_c

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    4/23/2006 5:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When you say "blade" what do you mean?

There are many types of bladed or edged weapons - knives, swords, axes, polearms, spear, etc.

Then, with the style consideration, you're going to be left with a majority of replies coming down which is going to be heavily McDojo influenced.

Not many of the people are going to come from a situation where they had to fight with blades on a quasi regular basis, either in a military pursuit, or fending off roaming bandits.

This question is better suited in the "Your Martial Arts Sucks" section, where the age old, and tired style v. style conjecture fest can continue.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    4/23/2006 5:16pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kali, as you said, is very good. I plan on studying it when I return to Seattle this June.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2006 5:31pm

Style: Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mantis

This question is better suited in the "Your Martial Arts Sucks" section, where the age old, and tired style v. style conjecture fest can continue.
    My fault entirely, I wasn't exactly sure what does and does not qualify as a dead horse. I figured this question had been asked before and I did run a few searches in different sections for them.

Like I said though, I am not so stupid as to think that two styles can be compared directly but I would like to get some solid information on the various styles and the pros and cons.

I will go ahead and define blades as edged weaponry that would come into play outside of a dojo setting. I.E. you are not going to run into a crazy sumbitch with a spear or a katana on the street or in the trenches of Iraq.

So knives primarily, yes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2006 5:35pm

Style: Kung Fu/TKD/MMA n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    in my limited experience I would say kali. as I'm sure you are aware, the sticks are interchangeable with machetes, knives, other hand held pointy metal things. and it can be transferred to open hand too.

Posted On:
    4/23/2006 5:39pm

Style: wagamichi shorei kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The indoneasian and FM are good for knives. They never developed good armor and thus learned to use thier blades bare chested. makes for some refinded arts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2006 6:48pm

Style: Arnis, judo, Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wagamichi
    The indoneasian and FM are good for knives. They never developed good armor and thus learned to use thier blades bare chested. makes for some refinded arts.
    Not entirely true about the armor. The Batak and Dyak of java had a mesh armor woven out of a wicker like substance. They are however complete killers with knives.

I would say if you are in the USA or Canada ,sorry i didnt check, then go with any of the FMA. Some teachers however will not teach you knife work for some time. Check out escrima digest mailing list. They can give you lots of info about FMA. Other than that i might check into AMOK, the DBMA guys speak highly of them.

PT

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    4/23/2006 7:24pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For knives a solid FMA school.

My knive traning is from Traditional Japanese Kenjutsu. But VERY few Kenjutsu school even teach Tanto (Knives) anymore. The ones that do will teach it in conjunction with a Katana.