Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2006 3:36am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by coydog
    your'e a black belt and you call it kyoto geish and sankyu?
    Well you know I failed the spelling part of my black belt exam, because we all know it's more important to know how to say and spell the name in japanese then it is to actually perform the technique.

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    4/23/2006 3:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does your karate school do any sparring at all ? Do they just do sparring with regards to striking ?

If your dojo does no sparring then I suggest looking for another that does. As for the grappling side of things then look for a Judo club. Judo is normally very cheap and you'll get a good grappling base. How much extra can you afford to spend ?
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Posted On:
    4/23/2006 3:51am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm sure yer kyoto geish and sankyu is of superb black belt quality

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2006 4:02am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal
    Does your karate school do any sparring at all ? Do they just do sparring with regards to striking ?

If your dojo does no sparring then I suggest looking for another that does. As for the grappling side of things then look for a Judo club. Judo is normally very cheap and you'll get a good grappling base. How much extra can you afford to spend ?
    We just spar with regards to striking. Our Jujitsu techniques are limited to self-defense only, there's no randori.

To answer your last question, I don't have much to spend on training, I'm a law student and I work part time on the weekends (I'm at work now :icon_eek: ). I also take classes at my dojo twice a week (sometimes I teach or take part of a class other times I don't), but cross train every day with running and or weightlifting. The best part of my dojo is that the training is free, we're a small class, and two of my best friends take classes with me.

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    4/23/2006 4:06am

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mad_mally
    We just spar with regards to striking. Our Jujitsu techniques are limited to self-defense only, there's no randori.

To answer your last question, I don't have much to spend on training, I'm a law student and I work part time on the weekends (I'm at work now :icon_eek: ). I also take classes at my dojo twice a week (sometimes I teach or take part of a class other times I don't), but cross train every day with running and or weightlifting. The best part of my dojo is that the training is free, we're a small class, and two of my best friends take classes with me.
    Randori is essential - a great workout (though not a replacement for cross-training), an excellent way to test techniques, and often bloody good fun. An hour or two a week is well worth it.
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Posted On:
    4/23/2006 4:12am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mad.

I would suggest leaving and finding another martial arts school. Sparring is very important. Its okay to learn your techniques on a complient partner, but there comes a time where you have to do sparring. You have to learn how to apply the technique against a resisting opponant.

Your doing running and weight lifting which is fine but if your not doing any sparring, you may aswell not do martial arts. I say look for a Judo club. Judo is normally dirt cheap.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2006 4:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mad.

I would suggest leaving and finding another martial arts school. Sparring is very important. Its okay to learn your techniques on a complient partner, but there comes a time where you have to do sparring. You have to learn how to apply the technique against a resisting opponant.

Your doing running and weight lifting which is fine but if your not doing any sparring, you may aswell not do martial arts. I say look for a Judo club. Judo is normally dirt cheap.
    We do spar but it's limited to stand-up only. What I'm complaining about is the lack of live jujitsu training.

Posted On:
    4/23/2006 4:26am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If the Ju Jutsu training is not live then its not valuable.

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    4/23/2006 4:30am

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mad_mally
    We do spar but it's limited to stand-up only. What I'm complaining about is the lack of live jujitsu training.
    I suspect that's what Hannibal meant. Anyway, when you get the time, you might like to drop into a Judo class and see what they do. If you can, join in. If you're like me (used to stand-up sparring in Goju), you'll find randori a brilliant test of skills in take-downs, throws, locks and the like. You'll find out very quickly whether or not your jujutu works.
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2006 4:35am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If the Ju Jutsu training is not live then its not valuable.
    I agree, that's why I've been trying to learn a little BJJ from instructional videos and books. I usually get to the dojo an hour early in order to work the heavy bag and to basically workout before class, but lately I've been using that time to practice some of the things I've picked up from the BJJ books with two of the other students there. It's not much but it's better then nothing.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast