Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2006 12:29am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Does Traditional Jujitsu Work?

I take a marital art that's a bend of Goju karate and traditional Jujitsu (mostly small circle stuff), and I've recently become very pissed off at the self-defense techinques used in our system. Basically, ous self defense techiques are consist of striking our opponent then taking him down with a wrist lock, arm bar or throw. The karate part of our system is very good and resembles Kyokyshin style fighting, however we never practice our jujitsu techniques on a resisting opponet. Nor do we practice randori, or ne waza techiques. In short, I have no idea how to apply any of my jujitsu techniques in a self defense situation.

It's gotten to the point that I've started to teach myself BJJ and Judo (our style has a lot of judo techiques in it but no randori) with some of the students who come early to class. I'm also refusing to practice or teach kyoto geish or sankyu anymore. Now keep in mind I train for free out of a rec center, and I can't afford BJJ or Judo lessons. Am I wrong for refusing to teach these techniques? Do wrist locks really work in a real fight? Thanks for reading.

Posted On:
    4/23/2006 12:37am

Style: mixed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ... you are teaching BJJ?
    Now keep in mind I train for free out of a rec center, and I can't afford BJJ or Judo lessons. Am I wrong for refusing to teach these techniques?
    how are you teaching yourself judo/jujitsu? books? video?

you can't really expect much from a rec center. try working a deal with another school. my instructor lets one of the students take class in exchange for cleaning/maintenance.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2006 12:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No I'm not teaching BJJ, I'm just trying out some stuff that I'm pick up out of books with some of the guys that come early to class. I'm a black belt and one of the instructors at this place. We rent a room from the rec center and we use it twice a week. For the most part I've been trying to find a way to work the traditional stuff we practice in sparring. I'd be happy if we just practiced randori, but we don't. The Karate is good though, and it definitely is the reason I'm still around.

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    4/23/2006 1:02am

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mad_mally
    I take a marital art that's a bend of Goju karate and traditional Jujitsu (mostly small circle stuff), and I've recently become very pissed off at the self-defense techinques used in our system. Basically, ous self defense techiques are consist of striking our opponent then taking him down with a wrist lock, arm bar or throw. The karate part of our system is very good and resembles Kyokyshin style fighting, however we never practice our jujitsu techniques on a resisting opponet. Nor do we practice randori, or ne waza techiques. In short, I have no idea how to apply any of my jujitsu techniques in a self defense situation.

It's gotten to the point that I've started to teach myself BJJ and Judo (our style has a lot of judo techiques in it but no randori) with some of the students who come early to class. I'm also refusing to practice or teach kyoto geish or sankyu anymore. Now keep in mind I train for free out of a rec center, and I can't afford BJJ or Judo lessons. Am I wrong for refusing to teach these techniques? Do wrist locks really work in a real fight? Thanks for reading.
    Might be worth talking to Goju Joe. He does a mix of Goju and Jujitsu, I think.
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

The gift that keeps on giving

Posted On:
    4/23/2006 1:03am

supporting member
     Style: On hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Am I wrong for refusing to teach these techniques? Do wrist locks really work in a real fight? Thanks for reading.
    wrist locks only work if you're able to grab someone's wrist in a fight (without getting punched in the face). It's perhaps easy to grab a wrist/arm, but to manipulate it against a resisting opponent is another story (as you know).

As to refusing to teach others what you know.... You know them better than we do but I'm of the idea that spreading knowledge around is a good thing.
    Last edited by Steve; 4/23/2006 1:07am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2006 1:07am

Style: WC, TKD, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the stuff works great on drunk friends. Or Drunks in general. Good stuff to know. The real trick to getting someone into a wrist/armlock is knowing when it is actually possible. If you go in thinking "i'm going to chicken wing this guy" you WILL look dumb trying.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2006 1:13am

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sfe wrote...
    "wrist locks only work if you're able to grab someone's wrist in a fight..."

common misconception...

most wrist locks are applied against a person grabbing your wrist to restrain or set up strikes... wrist locks can also be used in clinches and on the ground or after trapping (not grabbing) the other guys strikes...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2006 1:16am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sfe
    As to refusing to teach others what you know.... You know them better than we do but I'm of the idea that spreading knowledge around is a good thing.
    I just don't want to teach people things that don't work. The last thing I want is one of my dojo brothers to get beat up in a street fight trying to throw a guy to the ground with a wrist techique, or even worst trying to crapple his way out of clinch with one. Does anyone know of any drills that I could work that would help to work some of these techiques in a realistic way?

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    4/23/2006 3:14am

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Im not a big fan of Traditional Ju Jitsu- I was a 1 month white belt in BJJ and knew enough to submit my friend who was a TJJ black belt.

That being said, on to the subject of wristlocks. I find wristlocks can be usefull when you use them as a precursor to a fight. In just the same way that one person may walk up to another and suddenly sucker punch them, taking the initiative and throwing on a quick wristlock can work quite well.

Once the fight actually starts to unfold and both people are swinging for the fences, wraping each other up and trying to pry each others heads off, its time to move on to something else.

Fine joint control, such as those seen in small circle, are great for the time before an altercation escalates into a full out fight. Once adrenaline and strength start to enter the scenario, you're better off trying to work with something else. This is the time when its good to have a wrestling, judo, or bjj background.

You have to be practical here- a wristlock doesnt do a very good job of controlling your opponent because its such a small joint and theres so many angles of articulation at the wrist, elbow, and shoulder. Something like a body lock (looks like a bearhug) is a great way to effectively control someone, even if they've got a large weight advantage. The catch is that the wristlock your sensei teaches you looks a lot cooler than does that boring old bearhug your wrestling coach taught you in middle school. People have a misconception that really skilled fighters will look cool and fancy when someone decides to pick a fight with them. This is unfortunately not the case. Real fights are chaotic, ugly, and vicious. After you train for awhile, you'll once again be able to see the technique in a real fight, but it will never look as appealing or as cool as the move your average joe schmoe karate master will teach you.

Posted On:
    4/23/2006 3:27am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No I'm not teaching BJJ, I'm just trying out some stuff that I'm pick up out of books with some of the guys that come early to class. I'm a black belt and one of the instructors at this place. We rent a room from the rec center and we use it twice a week. For the most part I've been trying to find a way to work the traditional stuff we practice in sparring. I'd be happy if we just practiced randori, but we don't. The Karate is good though, and it definitely is the reason I'm still around.
    your'e a black belt and you call it kyoto geish and sankyu?
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast