The gift that keeps on giving

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 9:03pm

supporting member
     Style: On hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DAYoung
    I wish I weren't, but I really am baffled by that joke. Can you do me the dubious honour of explaining to me?
    Doctor X is quite right.

Sorry, it was a stupid joke about the movie "Budo." I was referring to the scene where the karate guy is kicking and punching a real locomotive (As Dr. X said).

Excellent movie even tho I poked fun at it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...v=glance&n=130

I shouldn't have stuck that in there outa context. I was just getting ready to go to bed and my mind wandered for a sec. My bad.

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 9:07pm

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sfe
    Doctor X is quite right.

Sorry, it was a stupid joke about the movie "Budo." I was referring to the scene where the karate guy is kicking and punching a real locomotive (As Dr. X said).

Excellent movie even tho I poked fun at it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...v=glance&n=130

I shouldn't have stuck that in there outa context. I was just getting ready to go to bed and my mind wandered for a sec. My bad.
    I'm pretty sure they won't have it at my local Video Ezy. Shame. It looks interesting.
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 9:14pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor X
    My deceased teacher told a story of training in Okinawa--"uphill . . . both ways . . . dead of winter . . . 120 degrees in the shade"--when, during a group training, a senior instructor literally "crashed" the class . . . stumbling in holding a big bottle of Some GodAwful Brew and colapsed in the corner. The class leader just kept going.

I wish I could remember so I could credit him a practitioner who stated:

--J.D.
    That's hilarious!

I'm looking forward to my first trip to Okinawa (not planned but someday). My Kaicho Lives in Urasoe City where they brew the very excellent "beer of beers," Orion.

I have been fortunate enough to have a couple beers with him after seminars in the states, quite a good time!

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 9:24pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DAYoung, I have PM you about Budo...

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 9:33pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you go . . . BEWARE THE HONBU!!! [!--Ed.]

This is a poisonous Okinawan snake that you see in mongoose-snake fights . . . mongoose wins . . . then dies from the poison a few hours later--that is preserved in some alcohol. I have not had this alcohol, but the various descriptions seem to suggest driving a railroad spike through your forehead whilst you are suspended upside-down as the Ghost of Gene Krupa renderes paradiddles on the soles of your feet.

Orion beer is very good. There is a rice licour . . . liquour . . . lick her . . . drink that is not sake called something like "Amamore" that is served cold and is very smooth!

All of this reveals the Truth Hidden Meaning of the Movements.

This time of the year is not too bad--not quite as hot and humid as it can get.

Public transportation has improved immensely so you do not have to sink lots of yen on cab fare. They have also discovered espresso. Caffeine is necessary for that critical balance between stimulant and alcohol.

My Japanese boarders on autistic, but if you learn a few greetings people tend to be very helpful.

--J.D.

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 9:48pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

This is a poisonous Okinawan snake that you see in mongoose-snake fights . . . mongoose wins . . . then dies from the poison a few hours later--that is preserved in some alcohol. I have not had this alcohol, but the various descriptions seem to suggest driving a railroad spike through your forehead whilst you are suspended upside-down as the Ghost of Gene Krupa renderes paradiddles on the soles of your feet.

Orion beer is very good. There is a rice licour . . . liquour . . . lick her . . . drink that is not sake called something like "Amamore" that is served cold and is very smooth!

Public transportation has improved immensely so you do not have to sink lots of yen on cab fare. They have also discovered espresso. Caffeine is necessary for that critical balance between stimulant and alcohol.

My Japanese boarders on autistic, but if you learn a few greetings people tend to be very helpful.

--J.D.
    Doctor heal thyself.

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 10:41pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, it appears my alcohol level has reached a critical low.

--J.D.

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 10:42pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

--J.D.
    Interesting... Thanks for the tips!

More and more it sounds like a place that I can't wait to visit. Oh, I'd be able to get in some karate training while there too (a bonus)!

Posted On:
    5/02/2006 1:08am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DAYoung
    And then there's budo.
    back on topic:

I suppose that might be where the conundrum is in regards TMA. To follow "The Way of the Warrior" is seen as an old idea, something that cannot be done in our modern times.

Sure, our martial arts don't ensure our survival as they did hundreds of years ago. Hence, we no longer have to truly live by those terms. That aside, I think that is where the Authentic side comes into it. Abandoning Traditional techniques that would have been effective all those years ago in actual combat (esp since the advent of guns etc.), but keeping them for the body conditioning that proved they were not worthless training tools.

Where Traditionalist's keep true to the maxim: "ONLY this way works!" The Authentic/Modern MAists can train the "old" stuff as an exercise but renew the system for actual fighting in regards to the new facts about it.

Then there is the deeper issue of how TMAs weren't about kicking ass (back in the day). They were viewed as an upper class thing, something that complimented the art and literature of a well educated aristocrat. It was an avenue to being a "better" person, the end goal was not to be the best fighter out there. Quite the contrary, it would be better to negotiate than fight. BUT, if fighting was the only option, one was expected to be at least competent in the fighting arts (empty hand and I think even more focused on, weapon arts).

Posted On:
    5/02/2006 3:33am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sfe
    Then there is the deeper issue of how TMAs weren't about kicking ass (back in the day). They were viewed as an upper class thing, something that complimented the art and literature of a well educated aristocrat. It was an avenue to being a "better" person, the end goal was not to be the best fighter out there. Quite the contrary, it would be better to negotiate than fight. BUT, if fighting was the only option, one was expected to be at least competent in the fighting arts (empty hand and I think even more focused on, weapon arts).
    Yeah, I see this is an essential issue. Budo is not simply about fighting, and never was simply about fighting. It should aim to make you a better fighter, and should not claim to do this if it can't. Nonetheless, it is a way of being, not simply a kind of technical skill. For my part, I think that Aikido has a very slim chance of achieving either, Judo has a good chance, and Karate is hit-and-miss.

It is a typically aristocratic unity of physical, moral and intellectual prowess (however infrequently this unity has been achieved).

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast