Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    4/22/2006 8:31pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo Bean
    Pretty much. They've got a large niche market, their books are a lot tidier than Sony/MS's, and they make a lot more profit proportionally than the Sony/MS console divisions. They pretty much have a guaranteed market for what they do based on consumer trust. I was originally furious about the Revolution controller, but I've come around in the past few months. Nintendo is doing what it always does: innovating. If the controller falls flat on its face, they'll try something new next time. If it has some success, expect to see Sony and Microsoft copying it. Besides that, Nintendo mainly makes money on its handheld systems, so it can afford to **** around a little on the console market.

Basically, with Sony and MS in the market, Nintendo knew they was going to get pushed aside in one generation or another, so they redefined their goals as a company and have come up with a very workable system. Nintendo's consoles are generally much simpler than Sony's or MS's. They don't have all the added functionality, but it makes them a lot cheaper. That's a trade-off I'm perfectly fine with.

Exactly the reason I like Nintendo and get Nintendo Systems. I really liked Sega back in the day, but now Sega games are on Nintendo, so its all cool.

Playstation -> Meh
    Xbox -> Teh G4y

Posted On:
    4/23/2006 3:44am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGA JESUS-SAN
    Exactly, that's why it's not true.
    I think you might just be underestimating the cultural differences between the Japanese and Americans. Don't get me wrong, I don't think they do what they do out of altruism. They do it to make a profit. The thing is, Nintendo is basically known for doing wacky out there **** and getting away with it. People eat it up. Their niche market appreciates their originality.

Does Nintendo disgust me less than Sony and Microsoft? Yes. Does that make it the Patron Saint of the consumer? No. The bottom line is: Nintndo does not have the resources to compete with Sony or Microsoft. They recognized this, but were not ready to get out of the console market like Sega did. Instead, they redefined their goals as a console system developer, and it has worked for them. They make tons of money and are relatively safe in an industry famous for being as cut-throat as they come. I admire their business model and willingness to look at the big picture. At some point, their higher ups took a step back and said "Hey, we don't stand a fucking chance. Let's try to find a compromise that allows us to create the hardware and content that we want."

At any rate, I plan on buying a PS3 and a Revolution, though that plan may change if my apathy toward video games increases beyond it's already all-time high.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2006 9:49am

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interestingly enough, it seems that the revolution controller is actually stirring up some interest in the developers. One of the first games in development for the Revolution is Red Steel by Ubisoft. It's a first-person shooter (with swords as well) that takes advantage of the Revolution controller. The even have it set so that controller orientation affects the gun orientation in the game; the angle of the gun on screen is the same as the angle of your hand (so, for example, you can shoot "gangsta style").

I was skeptical about the controller at first, but it's beginning to look really interesting.

Posted On:
    4/23/2006 10:28am

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    GB - Nice post. I fully concur.

Bugeisha, that sounds pretty cool. Even though i'm an ubisoft hater, i might just have to check that out.

MJS - I know the question in your new sig is rhetorical, but the answer is:

edit: it appears the wolf actually wears a shirt, but i can't find a picture that includes his feet, so it may still be relevant.
    Last edited by Neildo; 4/23/2006 10:31am at .
    :new_all_c

Safe For Work

Posted On:
    4/23/2006 11:35am

supporting member
     Style: Shaolin Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was going to post something, but since GB already said it, I'll just be his annoying, weasley side-kick that just keeps saying "yeah! yeah!"
    Jaguar's MMA record
    pre Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0
    post Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0 (BOO YAA!!)

We're number one! All others are number two or lower.
    - The Sphinx (Mystery Men)

The gift that keeps on giving

Posted On:
    4/23/2006 6:39pm

supporting member
     Style: On hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugeisha
    Interestingly enough, it seems that the revolution controller is actually stirring up some interest in the developers. One of the first games in development for the Revolution is Red Steel by Ubisoft. It's a first-person shooter (with swords as well) that takes advantage of the Revolution controller. The even have it set so that controller orientation affects the gun orientation in the game; the angle of the gun on screen is the same as the angle of your hand (so, for example, you can shoot "gangsta style").

I was skeptical about the controller at first, but it's beginning to look really interesting.
    Some info on how the controller works and some games for the Revolution:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3143782

**** you math class

Posted On:
    4/23/2006 7:42pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, Ballet, Archery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, "no shoes, no shirt" applies to the employees. Unless the place posts that they "reserve the right to refuse service to anyone", you can't be denied service for not wearing shoes or a shirt (Although if you're a woman, not wearing a shirt might be a problem).

I've been to fast food restraunts barefoot and have heard of people grocery shopping bare-chested, though it's probably not worth the trouble of trying to get into an upscale restraunt without a shirt on.

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    4/23/2006 7:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elipson
    This will be the Super Scope of this generation.
    I thought the super scope of this generation was the gun used in the the Silent Scope games.

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 11:00am

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGA JESUS-SAN
    I've been to fast food restraunts barefoot ....
    Hippie.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
    I thought the super scope of this generation was the gun used in the the Silent Scope games.
    Did they actually make a rifle controller thing? I'd get one.

I tried to play that Silent scope game with just the controller. not cool.
    :new_all_c
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast