218358 Bullies, 7916 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 201 to 210 of 234
Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111718192021 222324 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. DAYoung is offline
    DAYoung's Avatar

    Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, AUS
    Posts
    6,269

    Posted On:
    4/26/2006 8:39am

    supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KageKaze
    Sashin no Kata is different in Ninpo. Its the first set of (5) Kata in Gyokko Ryu. They mostly consist of a counter strike and attacking strike.
    OK. Thanks for that. It's always entertaining to find parallels (particularly when they don't exist).
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

  2. Virus is offline
    Virus's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    6,967

    Posted On:
    4/26/2006 8:52am

    Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually I am totally familiar with the idea of the big, circular block being a leadup to a proper block. I've done boxing drills, technique sparring and I belive there's a good reason why boxers don't block the way bujinkan guys do. Now I have also seen more sensible blocks but I find the idea of doing some big, impractical movement as a "leadup" to the real thing silly. It's excatly what the krotty guys are saying about chamberd punches. You start off chambering then, eventually, when you ahve the feeling, when you understand the principle, when you have enough chi, you do a right cross. It's bull. I think it's a last ditch defence of training in artificial, useless techniques. I've heard all this stuff about how technqiues are done that way to capture a feeling and crap, they lead up to the "real thing" (always after I criticized the technique's practicality, never before) but you never see the real thing. Like a phantom, you think it's there but you can never grab it. All I can say is it's a bloody good thing boxing coaches don't work that way.

    As was said before by Mongo the high ranking guys are a big part of the problem. Everyone looks up to them and thier grade and they teach and preach untested, unproven technique. They are still in the old-school way of thinking up something in thier heads, then if it makes sense, then it works. (And of course works on compliant jelly-man). They mean well, but they end up pissing in peoples mouths and telling them it's lemonade.

    As to the accusation by Mr Nothing that I don't "understand" the taijutsu, I say what is your criteria of "understand"? Becuase if I say I'm a 3rd dan and I trained for six years you could always say it takes a 6th dan and 12 years. You can say anything you want becuase there is no objective measurement of how well you understand taijutsu. The only one I can think of is performance on the mat when you spar or wrestle.
    Last edited by Virus; 4/26/2006 9:06am at .
  3. Plasma is online now
    Plasma's Avatar

    Heel Hook Hunter

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,985

    Posted On:
    4/26/2006 9:03am

    supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: Jiu Jitsu | Knife

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    Actually I am totally familiar with the idea of the big, circular block being a leadup to a proper block. I've done boxing drills, technique sparring and I belive there's a good reason why boxers don't block the way bujinkan guys do. Now I have also seen more sensible blocks but I find the idea of doing some big, impractical movement as a "leadup" to the real thing silly. It's excatly what the krotty guys are saying about chamberd punches. You start off chambering then, eventually, when you ahve the feeling, when you understand the principle, when you have enough chi, you do a right cross. It's bull. I think it's a last ditch defence of training in artificial, useless techniques. I've heard all this stuff about how technqiues are done that way to capture a feeling and crap, they lead up to the "real thing" (always after I criticized the technique's practicality, never before) but you never see the real thing. Like a phantom, you think it's there but you can never grab it. All I can say is it's a bloody good thing boxing coaches don't work that way.
    Actually, I am a big supporter of using large movement to teach and let them develop into smaller movments. I know thats how I was trained in Ninpo and in BJJ. In BJJ when I was being taught guard passing I was told to make dramatic movment with my back leg after pinning the first leg, to make sure I didn't get my other leg caught in half guard. in time that movment got smaller and crisper, but when I was a brand new noobie, it was an important learning tool.

    Honestly, I only use two "blocks" for punches, that circular counter strike and Hoko No Kamae. Any punch to quick for my counter strike aka a jab, I throw up Hoko no Kamae. Ninpo techniques work, however, you seen to do full contact fighting with them to figure out how.
  4. Shuma-Gorath is offline
    Shuma-Gorath's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,612

    Posted On:
    4/26/2006 10:56am

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KageKaze
    Shut the **** up. Your training sucks. Leave the Bujinkan, leave for BJJ or at least a real school for Ninpo, or just kill yourself :seppuku:
    You claim three years of BJJ training, and yet you got americana'd in tabi at the Maryland throwdown and do Ninpo. You aren't in a position to tell anyone to get better training, since you actually found it and turned away.

    How consistent was your BJJ training anyway? Three years could have netted you a purple belt if done properly.
  5. Plasma is online now
    Plasma's Avatar

    Heel Hook Hunter

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,985

    Posted On:
    4/26/2006 11:18am

    supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: Jiu Jitsu | Knife

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuma-Gorath
    You claim three years of BJJ training, and yet you got americana'd in tabi at the Maryland throwdown and do Ninpo. You aren't in a position to tell anyone to get better training, since you actually found it and turned away.

    How consistent was your BJJ training anyway? Three years could have netted you a purple belt if done properly.
    Yes I made a stupid mistake with a guy that outweight me by 80 pounds and paid for it. Considering I win a bit more then I lost i see no problem. 3 year Purple Belt? The only BJJ Purple Belts I know have 10+ years.

    2-3 times a week under a blue belt @ Binghamton University. 3 times a week over the summer at Pedro Sauer School.

    I honestly, have no regrets about leaving. One day I might go back and get my blue belt, but it not at the moment. The Pedro Sauer school still only 10 mins from my apt.


    Edit: Haven't I said this before?
    Last edited by Plasma; 4/26/2006 11:25am at .
  6. Shuma-Gorath is offline
    Shuma-Gorath's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,612

    Posted On:
    4/26/2006 11:33am

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KageKaze
    3 year Purple Belt? The only BJJ Purple Belts I know have 10+ years.
    It's do-able. The average is closer to 5 and definitely less than 10.

    Which Pedro Sauer school was it?
    Last edited by Shuma-Gorath; 4/26/2006 11:58am at .
  7. Plasma is online now
    Plasma's Avatar

    Heel Hook Hunter

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,985

    Posted On:
    4/26/2006 12:01pm

    supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: Jiu Jitsu | Knife

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuma-Gorath
    It's do-able. The average is closer to 5 and definitely less than 10.

    Which Pedro Sauer school was it?
    I train their over the summer of 2003

    Baltimore Martial Arts Academy
    8450 Baltimore National Pike
    Ellicott City, MD 21043
    Instructors
    Dave Linton
    Mike Johnson
    Kevin Chhay
    Map it
    on Yahoo
    or Mapquest
    410-465-7799

    http://bjj.org/academies/#MD

    The majority of training was at the Binghamton University BJJ club
  8. Plasma is online now
    Plasma's Avatar

    Heel Hook Hunter

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,985

    Posted On:
    4/26/2006 12:10pm

    supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: Jiu Jitsu | Knife

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hear is the Binghamton BJJ club site http://www.sitewarp.com/bjj/

    6 semesters with them, 3 months with a Pedro Sauer school. Thats my BJJ expirence, what is the issue?
  9. shinbushi is offline
    shinbushi's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Manhattan Beach, California, United States
    Posts
    897

    Posted On:
    4/26/2006 12:12pm


     Style: Muay Thai, Judo, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sci-mdk
    Would you tell a practioner of the art of kyudo also that his training sucks because it isn't 'alive and realistic'?
    Yes, if he was learning it to develop functional archery skills (Like for hunting)
  10. shinbushi is offline
    shinbushi's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Manhattan Beach, California, United States
    Posts
    897

    Posted On:
    4/26/2006 12:20pm


     Style: Muay Thai, Judo, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    Actually I think it's a last ditch defence of training in artificial, useless techniques. I've heard all this stuff about how technqiues are done that way to capture a fee
    Not artificial, outdated. These movemnets were developed for yoroi kumiuchi (close combat in armor) and work in that sittuation. Now the koto ryu parry is similar to the SBG Crazy monkey defense so that is useful.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.