Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 5:35pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Choice between two schools

My mom finally gave me the OK to go learn MA (it sucks being 16).

I've narrowed it down to two choices, a Judo school and a BJJ school.

I just want a couple opinions or ideas on which one I should take, but enough talking, heres some details about the schools.

Judo place:
    Cranford JKC
    Instructor: 8th Dan, coached US Olympic Judo Team twice ( came off as very friendly/knowledgable)
    I'll Probably go Tuesday and Thursdays,
    1 hour Ne-waza (lead by him, and one of his students, also a black belt, and a brown belt in BJJ)
    1 hour Standing (emphasis on free-practice)
    30 Minute Drive - 2 hours in total
    $75-$85 Dollars Per Month for 2 lessons a weak (6 month contract)

BJJ place:
    Advanced BJJ
    Instructor: 2 stripe Purple Belt (aslo came off as very friendly/knowledgable and enthusiastic)
    Beginner BJJ on Monday and Wednesdays, No-gi Tues, All levels/Open Mat- Thurs/Fri
    1 Hour Lesson
    10 Minute Drive
    $85 Dollars Per Month (3 Month Contract)

My mom is scared as hell by the fact that people would be throwing me in Judo, but shes also amazed at how hard both schools push their students.

I'll make my own choice, but I just wanted some input, because both schools seem very appealing.

I'll provide more details from my visit to each school if requested.

Thanks beforehand for your advice and input

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 5:44pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm, that's a tough choice. On the one hand, you have a world class Judo instructor that's pretty far away and you can only attend class twice a week.

On the other, you've got a purple in BJJ that's closer and it looks like you can attend a lot more than twice a week.

As a rank beginner, I would likely go to whichever school allowed me to train more.

Is there a rate for unlimited instruction at the Judo school? If you could get 3 or more days a week in at a Judo school of that quality for 100-110 bucks a month, you should jump on it without hesitation.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 5:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The party line to be towed here is "go to both schools, check to see if they train with aliveness, blah blah blah", and no doubt by the time I've posted this there'll be fifteen posts telling you to go to both schools and take trial lessons. And that's fine, but from the sounds of it you're going to go to both classes and have excellent experiences and still be unable to make any long term decisions.

Personally, I'd go with the BJJ. The Judo school sounds like it has the BJJ place beat in terms of instructors, but don't be put off by the idea of learning from a purple--it'll be years before their well runs dry. For now, all you need to know is the basics, and that will boil down to teaching styles, not ranks. So IFF there's no great discrepency between the quality of the instructors, you're facing an apples/oranges decision with one key difference: the BJJ school offers more classes than the judo school. More classes=more mat time. More mat time=you get better faster. You get better faster=you not being The MMA Kid!.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 6:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, they both have policies where you can go as many times in the week you want, the thing is I won't have that much time either or.

The BJJ place is $85 dollars per month for 2 lessons as week, so the prices are the same, its just that its only 1 hour as opposed to the Judo place's two

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 10:34pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by twKoxinga
    Yeah, they both have policies where you can go as many times in the week you want, the thing is I won't have that much time either or.

The BJJ place is $85 dollars per month for 2 lessons as week, so the prices are the same, its just that its only 1 hour as opposed to the Judo place's two
    If you're only going to be training two days a week and the longer time to and from class doesn't bother you, go with Judo. The classes are twice as long (although in a lot of BJJ schools, the official end time is usually not anywhere close to when class actually ends), the instructor has coached some amazing Judoka, and with a BJJ brown belt, their newaza should be quality.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 11:06pm

Style: TKD; BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That judo place sounds great. I get an hour of newaza from a brown belt for my standard BJJ class, but you'd also be getting an hour of tachiwaza from some really good Judoka. Plus it's cheaper.

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    4/22/2006 4:28am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Normally I would suggest Judo.

But if I was in your position I would go with BJJ. Simply because it's a 10 minute drive. Driving 30 mins to training and 30 mins back home again wastes alot of time. If BJJ is just up the road then go with that. DOn't worry if a purple belt takes the class. You'll still get quality training.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Posted On:
    4/22/2006 5:57am

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by twKoxinga
    My mom finally gave me the OK to go learn MA (it sucks being 16).

I've narrowed it down to two choices, a Judo school and a BJJ school.

I just want a couple opinions or ideas on which one I should take, but enough talking, heres some details about the schools.

Judo
    I'll Probably go Tuesday and Thursdays,

Beginner BJJ on Monday and Wednesdays, No-gi Tues, All levels/Open Mat- Thurs/Fri
    I would say- do both. Excellent takedowns from judo. Great groundwork from BJJ. Training 5 days a week is the best possible thing you can do around 16-18 IMO.

Now I'm guessing your mom is going to be paying, if you needed her permission. She might balk at the idea of paying for two ma- I don't know, I'm guessing. If so strike a deal she pays for one, and you pay for the other. This might necessitate a weekend job if you haven't got one already. If she is going to drive you there, do something around the house or yard or whatever in exchange. This has the added bonus of making you appear very mature and responsible- and this "new and improved" wisdom and attitude that will make her trust your decision-making skills even more. If she needs more convincing- sell her the whole schtick about how ma makes you a good person. The stronger healthier and more determined part will show over time anyway to back that up- mom = super-proud of you. You may already of thought of all this. I just thought I'd throw it out there.

It'll take up a lot of time, effort and beat the hell out of you. The benefits outweigh the costs. Find a way to do both.

tues,thurs- judo
    mon,wed, fri- bjj

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    4/22/2006 7:50am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd love to do both MA at once, but my mom's a bit strapped for cash, and nor will she allow me to get a job.

Also, my schedule doesn't permit me to go do anything on wednesdays and fridays until basically I reach Senior Year of High School.

My Mom's pretty sceptical about all the MA makes you a better person though, all she thinks its about is exercise.... Maybe its time to prove her wrong.

For now, I just want to get started under quality training, and when I'm older and I can actually fit training hardcore into my schedule I will.

Light Heavyweight

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Posted On:
    4/22/2006 8:18am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't consider anywhere that makes you sign a multi-month contract.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast