Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Not over zealous, but just zealous enough. 病気の粗悪品

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 10:19am

Style: Okinawan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn
    Now, if you personally witnessed Ghorkas cutting themselves in a fit of devotion, I can't argue with that. But let me get this straight:

You were on a flight with a group of Ghorkas?

On this flight, an American (presumably, soldier or marine) thought a Ghorka's Khukuri was cool, so he took it away from the Ghorka and drew it out of the scabbard? Before the Ghorka could stop him?

The Ghorka's only reaction to this brazen act of rudeness and stupidity was to cut himself?

;)
    Well, let me put it this way I was on the plane, and I was actually on the other side of some equipment. I walked around the other side and everyone seemed really tense. I asked one of the other AF people what was up, and that is what he told me happened.

We were transporting a group of Ghorkas, a small group of American soldiers to run some equipment, and the equipment from "point A to point B". It was a long flight and everyone was just sitting on those stupid side nets. I think the Ghorkas were just relaxed and had let their guard down somewhat and I think the cutting was a bit of showing off, and intended to make the US soildier feel humiliated.
    People often tell me that I fail to see the gravity of the situation.
    I see the gravity, and I say...

Step right up folks and watch me defy gravity!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 2:13pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keinhaar, I don't know what anybody told you, but I don't do concealed carry. That would be against the law. I'm blushing over here.

I do fanny-pack-carry an unloaded gun on occasion just to flip anti-gunners the bird.
    How does carrying in a fanny pack not equal concealed carrying? Is it because it's unloaded? I'd be interested to see the statute or caselaw that makes this distinction. What state is that?

Thanks much.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 4:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Illinois law doesn't allow concealed carry (defined here as carrying a weapon you can draw and fire--kind of random, I know.)

Illinois law does allow one to transport a firearm, even on one's person, if it is unloaded and inside a case. To satisfy the Wildlife code, the case has to be made specifically for a firearm.

Fanny packs qualify because they seal around the gun. It's a fine point, but so far it's been borne out in court. As you can imagine, it's not a terribly practical method of self-defense, but it does tick off anti-gunners, and a few of us wild optimists kind of hope it can be used to put pressure on the Illinois legislature to pass actual concealed carry.

This has been controversial, but at this point, the experience in court has shown that most prosecutors believe the law is on our side. Since no prosecutor has brought a fanny-pack case to trial, though, there's no legal precedent in place other than two old cases involving an actual gun case and a purse (both were in our favor.)
    Still a lot of police officers out there who don't know all that, though, so it's still a risky proposition without much practical return.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 5:10pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only 'weapon' I ever carry is a CRKT m16-02z, which is like a little 3" tanto-blade folder I use for cutting rope, tape and other packaging while sailing or at my previous job.

Ironically, I generally make sure to leave it in my vehicle or at home when I'm going to parties, concerts, raves or whatever sort of situation that could escalate the chance of confrontation. My logic going that when I get into a unarmed brawl or something, it usually it inconclusive or goes my way, but if someone were to pull a knife, I wouldn't want to get into a knife fight with them and would just run and if they pulled a gun, again the knife is likely worthless.

So basically I view the knife as simply increases the danger (for me) of any stupid altercation (my experience has shown 99% of the altercations I am involved in are incredibly stupid) because people are stupid and I don't want to introduce a weapon into the mix.

Funny note is that I also have a pretty good sized khukri of WW2 era that was a gift from my grandfather (only actual weapon I own except a recurve bow), it happens to be the weapon I grab (only half-seriously) when there's a knocking on the door at 2am or my gf thinks that there's someone in the house or something.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 6:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've yet to get myself into an unarmed brawl. I'm far to cowardly to fight over pride and I don't drink.
    I only go into bars to drive other people to the hospital.
    (In an ambulance. . . I don't just show up in a LeSabre and ask if anybody's hurt.)

Middleweight

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 7:54pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've yet to get myself into an unarmed brawl. I'm far to cowardly to fight over pride and I don't drink.
    I only go into bars to drive other people to the hospital.
    (In an ambulance. . . I don't just show up in a LeSabre and ask if anybody's hurt.)
    College rocks, following this simple guide. . .

alcohol quantities = high

tolerances = generally low

egos = bursting at the seems

weapons = unlikely, as it's hard to get a college education with a felony

chance of serious harm = fairly low

chance of legal consequences = pretty low, but administrative consequences can be annoying at times

Not over zealous, but just zealous enough. 病気の粗悪品

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 7:58pm

Style: Okinawan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just in case no one else said it,

I whip in out when I'm in doubt.
    People often tell me that I fail to see the gravity of the situation.
    I see the gravity, and I say...

Step right up folks and watch me defy gravity!

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 11:48pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, then you must whip it out all the time, because you don't seem very confident. Maybe it's time to change your life-strategy, I think your "solution" may be a major cause of "the problem." But that's just me.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/29/2006 10:55am

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I was outnumbered by a group of men (not teenage punks,men) and thought it was neccessary, I would draw my blade.
    I would also pull it out if someone pulled one on me first.
    The best scenario would be to have some idiot pull a knife on me who did not know what he was doing, so I could disarm him and stab him with his own knife.
    I would stick it in his buttock so it would get laughed out of court for self defense.
    :new_smili
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2006 3:35pm

Style: ehhh

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Um, wouldnt you just run away?

Thanks for your answers guys.

There has been a lot more gun violence in our city lately, and I can understand wanting to have a gun for protection. Camus makes a good point about the alcohol factor at clubs and such.

It seems, in my city at least, it is almost fashionable to be violent. Knife violence has spiked sharply in our high schools in the last five or so years. Has the whole street/prison lifestyle/image become so glamorous? Is 'street cred' that important?

Bear in mind that my city is 'behind the times'. We dont have a large population (just over 1 million, I believe) and we are at the start of an oil boom. Big city aspirations and small town mentality, I guess?

http://www.lastlinkontheleft.com/e2000.html

Anyone notice this around where they live?

Conversely, has anyone noticed any severe decreases in the murder rate around where they live?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast