and humble, too!

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 5:25pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhamma
    My Dad said something similar;

"Anyone worth pulling a gun on is worth shooting, and anyone worth shooting is worth killing. So, don't even reach for you gun unless you have desided to kill the other person."
    Andre 3000 said the same thing in rhyme!

"Don't pull the thang out unless you plan to bang.

Don't even bang unless you plan to hit something."

Threatening someone with a pistol means you have lost control to the degree that you have to escalate the issue to a life or death sitaution to regain it.

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 5:26pm

Style: Boxing, Solar Ray Attack

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Once the knife I keep concealed in my boot has been unsheathed, it can't be returned until it has spilled BlooooD!"
    http://woodwardswhiskey.wordpress.com/

He was punching him like the collective karmic debt he'd accrued was coming to collections, mostly on his face.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 7:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're being weird, but there are a group of people who actually practice that. If you look at atraditional Kukri knife, you'll see a funny notch near the hilt of the blade. It is for a ritualistic "self mutaliation," as my grandfather called it. The Gurkha Warriors of nothern India, who originally used these weapons, whould not "free it from the sheath unless it drew blood." Every time they the drew it, they intentionally cut themselves with the notch. THAT is taking your weappns handling seriously.

Not over zealous, but just zealous enough. 病気の粗悪品

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 8:17pm

Style: Okinawan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SFGOON
    You're being weird, but there are a group of people who actually practice that. If you look at atraditional Kukri knife, you'll see a funny notch near the hilt of the blade. It is for a ritualistic "self mutaliation," as my grandfather called it. The Gurkha Warriors of nothern India, who originally used these weapons, whould not "free it from the sheath unless it drew blood." Every time they the drew it, they intentionally cut themselves with the notch. THAT is taking your weappns handling seriously.
    That is very true. I was on a transport flight once (141) and there was a group of them. Some American idiot said "Wow, that's a cool knife and pulled it out." Everyone went stiff, and then the Indian guy took it back, cut himself with it and put it up.
    People often tell me that I fail to see the gravity of the situation.
    I see the gravity, and I say...

Step right up folks and watch me defy gravity!

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 9:28pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have ran out my house with a shotgun once, only once though.
    Sounds like a story worth telling.

I would draw if I was outnumbered, other weapons, or any other really scary situation. In mexico city, I was ready to draw on anyone who touched me (but the city was really safe, in the touristy center anyways).

Last weekend two guys I know got jumped by six guys while walking home **** faced. I always find it funny that these things don't happen to me. Drawing my knife here would prolly end up with me in the hospital, but if six guys jump out of the car, im assuming I'm going there anyways. Might as well have a few of them lying beside me on the beds. And in that situation, I would kind of expect that these guys were just looking for a good time, but if they saw a knife, this wouldn't be much of a good time anymore.

If you're seriously outnumbered, its already a lethal force encounter, as far as im concerned.

Also, a few months ago, while I was in mexico, my friends were at a pub, there was a misunderstanding; long story short it ended up outside with some drug dealer swinging a collapsable baton around. This was partially the fault of two of my friends, who dont know when to shut the **** up. No one got hurt, but it came really close before the cops showed up. I'm actually glad I was out of the country, 'cuz if I had been there, I would have cut the guy VERY badly the second he made a move on any of my friends with a weapon.

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    4/22/2006 2:43am

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SFGOON
    Yep. Serious blokes. My parents were given one of those, except it has a small knife to cut yourself with (beautiful knife). I was told that story when I was very little.

Memories...

Oh, and I was told the same thing: never have a firearm out unless you plan to use it. Of course, we only had rifles and shotguns...
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    4/22/2006 8:35am

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now, if you personally witnessed Ghorkas cutting themselves in a fit of devotion, I can't argue with that. But let me get this straight:

You were on a flight with a group of Ghorkas?

On this flight, an American (presumably, soldier or marine) thought a Ghorka's Khukuri was cool, so he took it away from the Ghorka and drew it out of the scabbard? Before the Ghorka could stop him?

The Ghorka's only reaction to this brazen act of rudeness and stupidity was to cut himself?

You know, before he passed away, "Uncle Bill" Martino said the whole thing about cutting yourself was a myth. He spent years living in Nepal with the kamis and some Gorkhas running Himalayan Imports. He imported genuine khukuris made by the kamis at BirGhorka (HI still does) and was married to the daughter of a former Ghorka. His in-laws included both Ghorkas and kamis, and none of them apparently believed there was any rule about cutting yourself.

Now, they DO believe in blessings done with blood, because the kamis at BirGhorka are Hindus. If you go to Himalayan Imports' website, you can see photos of the "Bishwakarma Puja" ceremony, in which animals are sacrificed to Bishwakarma, sort of a Hindu god of metalworkers. They're explicit, so just be warned if you're faint of heart.

The idea that the cho is there for cutting yourself is not so new, but that was the first time I've ever heard of the small side knives being used for this purpose. Frankly, I've never found any culture that genuinely demanded a blood sacrifice every time a weapon was drawn, although most cultures have this myth crop up eventually.

Someone once suggested that it's possible some local leader made up such a rule on the spot to keep the "young warriors" from waving sharp things around all the time, but I've never seen documentation.

On Bladeforums, a poster whose name has escaped me pointed out that if you lived 200 years ago, or in a remote village in Nepal, cutting yourself on the hand on purpose would seem pretty stupid. The first time a cut got infected and someone lost a hand, that "tradition" would end right quick.

Finally, and most importantly, a Khukuri is not just a weapon. It's a camp knife and plays the role of hatchet as well. It is used to chop wood, clear brush, cut rope and prepare food from a young age. If you had to cut yourself every time you cut a sapling, you'd get tired of it quickly!
    "Man, I'd love to split some kindling so I can have a fire, but I'm out of band-aids. . . .

Either way, your story cannot be believed if you didn't even have the foresight to take video. What were you thinking?
    ;)
    Last edited by Don Gwinn; 4/22/2006 8:51am at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/22/2006 9:46am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to have a house out in the country and on about 4 or 5 occasions I had strangers come to my door in the middle of the night (my house was on the corner of a country road).

On all of those occasions, I answered the door armed (I never showed my gun, but they definitely heard the unmistakable sound of me chambering a round before I opened the door).

As for knives...I've carried a knife on me everyday for the last 12 years. I've been in several fights over that time, but never threatened anyone or pulled my knife out of my pocket in a threatening manner in my whole life.

With regards to fighting...my knife isn't coming out of my pocket unless it is going to taste some blood.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2006 9:53am

Style: Arnis, judo, Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn
    Now, if you personally witnessed Ghorkas cutting themselves in a fit of devotion, I can't argue with that. But let me get this straight:

You were on a flight with a group of Ghorkas?

On this flight, an American (presumably, soldier or marine) thought a Ghorka's Khukuri was cool, so he took it away from the Ghorka and drew it out of the scabbard? Before the Ghorka could stop him?

The Ghorka's only reaction to this brazen act of rudeness and stupidity was to cut himself?

You know, before he passed away, "Uncle Bill" Martino said the whole thing about cutting yourself was a myth. He spent years living in Nepal with the kamis and some Gorkhas running Himalayan Imports. He imported genuine khukuris made by the kamis at BirGhorka (HI still does) and was married to the daughter of a former Ghorka. His in-laws included both Ghorkas and kamis, and none of them apparently believed there was any rule about cutting yourself.

Now, they DO believe in blessings done with blood, because the kamis at BirGhorka are Hindus. If you go to Himalayan Imports' website, you can see photos of the "Bishwakarma Puja" ceremony, in which animals are sacrificed to Bishwakarma, sort of a Hindu god of metalworkers. They're explicit, so just be warned if you're faint of heart.

The idea that the cho is there for cutting yourself is not so new, but that was the first time I've ever heard of the small side knives being used for this purpose. Frankly, I've never found any culture that genuinely demanded a blood sacrifice every time a weapon was drawn, although most cultures have this myth crop up eventually.

Someone once suggested that it's possible some local leader made up such a rule on the spot to keep the "young warriors" from waving sharp things around all the time, but I've never seen documentation.

On Bladeforums, a poster whose name has escaped me pointed out that if you lived 200 years ago, or in a remote village in Nepal, cutting yourself on the hand on purpose would seem pretty stupid. The first time a cut got infected and someone lost a hand, that "tradition" would end right quick.

Finally, and most importantly, a Khukuri is not just a weapon. It's a camp knife and plays the role of hatchet as well. It is used to chop wood, clear brush, cut rope and prepare food from a young age. If you had to cut yourself every time you cut a sapling, you'd get tired of it quickly!

Either way, your story cannot be believed if you didn't even have the foresight to take video. What were you thinking?
    ;)

I met some Gurka not too long ago....security on a cruise ship of all things. Nice guys got to do alittle work with them. I had heard the story about the Khukri needing to draw blood before sheathed, so i asked them about it. They said it was a myth but one that lots of people kept alive. When i asked why they said that it was somthing that sounded scary and they helped them avoid fights.

PT

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    4/22/2006 12:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My little sister met some Gurkhas in Iraq at a party (She's a Civil Affairs operator.) They were very polite with her until they found out that our grandfather had commanded a company of gurkhas in WWII, then it became a sort of adoration.

My brother witnessed a 5'2" gurkhas kick the **** out of four Air Force security guards. The Gurkhas CO came running up and ordered him to stop fighting and allow them to cuff him (the CO was a brit.) He instantly complied, then his CO had him uncuffed and they walked away together. All in all, they are some of the toughest SOBs alive, especially in the mountains.

Me - I've sever seen a real Gurkha.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast