Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 2:07am

Style: Muay Thai, CSW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Silent Hill movie review *some spoilers*

I got to watch an advanced showing of Silent Hill tonight. It was pretty cool because they were giving out t-shirts and posters but there wasn't a lot so I didn't get anything. Anyway, on with the movie review:

Silent Hill starts off pretty nicely. It has the look and overall atmosphere feels close to what the game was like. The plot isn't so bad as it's pretty true to what Silent Hill stories are like. Unfortunately the movie still wasn't all that great.

There are parts in the movie that are really good and genuinely creepy. However, it seems like after every good scene there's a really bad one. The crappiness comes from mediocre dialogue along with some not-so-believable acting. Come to think of it, most of the dialogue exchange from the two main characters, and one minor character, is laughable at best.

Another thing that bothered me was some of the death scenes. I felt like they were pretty meaningless and when one of the characters die you're supposed to feel sorry for that person but it should be noted that the entire theatre was laughing at it.

Overall though, Silent Hill is okay. It has it's ups and downs. If you watch this movie opening night, it's not a total waste. But if you miss it and wait to watch it on DVD you haven't missed a lot. It's one of the best video game movies, but that isn't saying much.

My grade: C-

Mostly, I just sit here. Mostly.

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 2:15am

hall of famestaff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 2:31am

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're a retard.

If you have any love at all for the games, you'll love the movie. Despite some major changes (bigger cast, more lucid storyline), the film goes to unheard-of lengths to appease the fanboys, referencing puzzles, monsters, soundtracks, level designs (Brookhaven hospital is almost a perfect replica of its in-game counterpart, right down to the map), and at times going so far as to recreate famous camera angles. Remember how the Silent Hill 1 manual so desperately tried to convince you the monsters won't attack you if your flashlight is off, even though that was total bullshit? Yeah. It's here.

So if you're a Silent Hill fan of any stripe, the movie is a 100-minute orgasm. If you're not a Silent Hill fan, the film boasts above-average acting, writing, direction. It's also a pleasure to look at, due in no small part to phenomenal abtract cinematography. And while it's nothing profound, the movie is refreshingly devoid of DON'T GO IN THERE ****** moments, horny teenagers, romantic subplots, cats jumping out ofthe darkness, sellout "feel good" endings, selout "the evil is still out there!" endings, or any other irritating horror cliches. There is a very unfortunate ten-minute block of exposition near the end I really could've done without, but it still does an excellent job explaining the Silent Hill story in a way far more coherent than the first game ever could.

Other problems. At times, the CGI is a bit cartoonish. Pyramid Head, sadly, is relegated to a brief--albeit KICK. ASS.-- cameo. And one of the plot elements near the end really irked me.

Spoiler:
    She befriends the darkness. I'm fucking serious. She meets the evil manifest responsible for the hell the town has been thrust into and basically gets on casual speaking terms with the nightmare incarnate. This is even worse than AvP, although it was worth sitting through that one bit of absurdity for the massacre that followed.

I also would've liked more attention paid to the monsters. While I appreciate the great lengths Gans took to faithfully bring our favorite monsters to the screen, their presence is brief and underutilized. The skinless babies, brokeback nurses, patient demons, Pyramid Head...they're all there, and it's great, but never for more than a couple minutes. There's a wonderfully omnious shot near the beginning of the film, with a small army of demons approaching from the hillside, that foretells great things, but we never see anything like it again.

Right now, if you want to see a horror movie, this is your only real option. And it's a pretty damn good one. Just don't expect much mannequin rape.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 2:32am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The retard comment, by the way, was reserved for Mr. S. Kennedy, who not only beat me to making a Silent Hill thread, but managed to do so by utilizing every bad movie reviewing cliche available. GOD BLESS THE R.C.P.D.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 2:34am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dai Tenshi
    http://www.poetv.com/video.php?vid=445

I watched that video for the first time earlier today. There is a kill near the end of the movie--and you'll know exactly which one I'm talking about when you see it--that made me think, "So that's what happens when you copy that floppy."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 3:44pm

Style: Muay Thai, CSW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyd
    The retard comment, by the way, was reserved for Mr. S. Kennedy, who not only beat me to making a Silent Hill thread, but managed to do so by utilizing every bad movie reviewing cliche available. GOD BLESS THE R.C.P.D.
    What are you talking about? I never said it was a bad movie. Or are you just mad because I posted first about it? Thanks for the blessings though. But it's R.P.D.

Crappler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 7:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, for those of us who've never played, or in some cases never heard of, the video game, is the movie any good on its own?

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 7:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please don't tell me that ridiculous triangle-faced guy is actually a villain in the movie?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 8:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know about the movie, but in the game, that "ridiculous triangle-faced guy" AKA pyramid head is pretty badass.

I haven't seen the movie. From what I've hard, it's somewhat disappointing. Good review, though.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 8:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy
    I don't know about the movie, but in the game, that "ridiculous triangle-faced guy" AKA pyramid head is pretty badass.

I haven't seen the movie. From what I've hard, it's somewhat disappointing. Good review, though.

Im not really sure how anyone can be disappointed in a video game movie. They're terrible by their very nature. I plan on seeing the movie, it looks fun.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm
Page 1 of 12 1 234511 ... LastLast