**** you math class

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 9:09am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, Ballet, Archery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    Longbows did, however, have one massive advantage over recurves. They didn't tend to fall to pieces when they got wet. The glues used to hold together the various layers of recurves were water soluble, generally fine if you're a Parthian, not so much if you're Welsh.
    Hi stupid.

Rain wasn't a problem for a recurve bow any more than for a longbow.

COMPOSITE bows had problems with excessive humidity, not rain. And even in excessive humidity, composites didn't fall apart, they'd loose cast.

The only advantage of longbows is that they don't take as long to make, meaning they can be churned out marginally more quickly.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 9:37am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGA JESUS-SAN
    Hi stupid.

Rain wasn't a problem for a recurve bow any more than for a longbow.

COMPOSITE bows had problems with excessive humidity, not rain. And even in excessive humidity, composites didn't fall apart, they'd loose cast.

The only advantage of longbows is that they don't take as long to make, meaning they can be churned out marginally more quickly.
    Sorry, I kind of assumed you were talking about middle eastern composite/recurve type bows. Who used non composite-recurve bows?

I can't locate my source on the falling apart thing, so I might well be wrong. I don't quite understand, however, how composites could be fine in the rain but malfunction under humid conditions? Surely if water = bad then they'd fail either way.
    Last edited by PointyShinyBurn; 4/21/2006 9:43am at .

**** you math class

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 10:08am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    Sorry, I kind of assumed you were talking about middle eastern composite/recurve type bows. Who used non composite-recurve bows?
    The Romans, Greeks, and most other Classical Mediterannaen civilizations used sinew-backed recurves that didn't necessarily have horn in the construction. Most people, even the English, used sinew or rawhide-backed bows.

I can't locate my source on the falling apart thing, so I might well be wrong. I don't quite understand, however, how composites could be fine in the rain but malfunction under humid conditions? Surely if water = bad then they'd fail either way.
    Wood and glue don't mind getting wet in the rain, though poorer-quality bowstrings do. Humidity causes the wood and glue to expand and do other funny things that compromise integrity.

Modern bows use carbon limbs to avoid this.

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 10:17am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I suppose this is what happens when you do your historical research by playing Rome: Total War. So what I should have said was 'One of the more popular types of recurve bow, composites constructed partly of horn, were unsuitable for use in western europe due to poor performance in humid conditions.'

Were sinew backed bows also better than longbows?

**** you math class

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 10:20am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the reason the Greeks, Romans et al. didn't use horn is because it was difficult and wasn't necessary to producing a good bow. The steppe tribes didn't have access to good material, so horn was more necessary to build a good bow.

Rawhide and sinew backing increase the integrity of a bow, which is important at high draw weights. Sinew backing also increases the draw weight dramatically, which serves two purposes. It lets you make a bow heavier than you otherwise could, and makes it easier to construct a heavy bow, because you can tiller a #60 bow, then sinew it up to #80.

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 10:34am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See kids, the best way to learn is to throw out half remembered assertions, and get corrected by people who know what they're talking about!

Not over zealous, but just zealous enough. 病気の粗悪品

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 10:35am

Style: Okinawan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Meex
    btw - still can't figure out why the military never took to the tommy gun.
    I think every one has already jumped on the fact that they did issue tommy guns.

I have fired one, and carried it around for a day, and I can tell you one thing it is too fucking heavy! That is why it was phased out. They also tend to pull upward when you fire them. Main thing is they are heavy as **** and you would not want to have to carry one around all the time.
    People often tell me that I fail to see the gravity of the situation.
    I see the gravity, and I say...

Step right up folks and watch me defy gravity!

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 11:36am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danno
    1. boomerangs used for hunting DID NOT RETURN. how can it return after it has hit something?

Uhhhh ... wouldn't a boomerang which does not return just be ....

... a stick?

:smile:

It's a minor point because it's not a weapon per se, but the development of interchangeable parts had one of the most profound impacts on modern warfare simply because weapons could be mass produced and serviced. The process was actually developed specifically for weapons manufacture. Civilian use was a 'trickle down' benefit.

Your RBSD Cannot Save You Now.

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 11:52am

supporting member
     Style: Spanish Rapier/Epee/Foil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bo-Chucks all the way, with a close second and third being Bo-Three-Sectioned-Staff, and Bo-Three-Sectioned-Staff-Chucks.

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 5:14pm

Style: Boxing, Solar Ray Attack

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhamma
    I think every one has already jumped on the fact that they did issue tommy guns.

I have fired one, and carried it around for a day, and I can tell you one thing it is too fucking heavy! That is why it was phased out. They also tend to pull upward when you fire them. Main thing is they are heavy as **** and you would not want to have to carry one around all the time.
    Later WWII tommies had a compensator to adjust for the upward pull, but this made them more expensive than they wanted to pay and the british wouldnt buy them either because they had the sten which worked just fine and was much cheaper to manufacture.
    Yeah youre right about the wieght. .45 is kind of heavy....
    http://woodwardswhiskey.wordpress.com/

He was punching him like the collective karmic debt he'd accrued was coming to collections, mostly on his face.
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 LastLast