Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 10:12pm

Style: Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just found this link
    http://www.mymultiplesclerosis.co.uk...r/weapons.html
    which lists the weapons featured in the "Greatest Ever Weapons" television show, as well as a brief explanation of why they were chosen, enjoy!

**** you math class

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 10:28pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, Ballet, Archery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by frumpleswift
    I brought up something irrelevant, and now I'm trying to cover my ass.
    I've ruined the list's ****, they should have payed me money to write one instead.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 11:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Krav Guy, I mean no offense to you personally, but I am dumber for having viewed that link. Did you read it? If so, I regret to inform you that you are now, without doubt, dumber as well. I am truly sorry.

It was a like a 13-year-old made it up at Scholastic Bowl Practice.

Why the PPK, someone asked? Simple, because these people know about weapons mostly from movies and those awful coffee-table books that British "weapon experts" write by spending an afternoon going through a museum collection in London.
    James Bond used a PPK, so it must have been a great weapon.

Same reason the pike made it, I suspect; these people watched Braveheart, so they know that the pike revolutionized warfare by saving Mel Gibson's ass from English cavalry.

What made them think the katana has a five-foot blade, I don't know. I believe there are Japanese swords with very long blades, but I don't recall the name. I want to say "tachi." Most katana were certainly not that big. Geez. Look at a photo of a Samurai holding one. . . . is that too much to ask?

Number one weapon of all time is. . . man? Well, yeah, if you ignore the definition of the word weapon, I suppose that might have seemed clever the first time someone said it circa 756 B.C. But then they go on to point out that the highest expression of man as weapon is. . . . wait for it. . . . . "Wing Chung!" That's right, because it was "Bruce Lee's original fighting style."

Might as well declare that the number one weapon of all time is fruit salad. Fruit salad, like man, is very good at its intended purpose (it's delicious and healthsome.) Also like man, fruit salad is not a weapon, although it could be used as one, I suppose, which man cannot. . . . hmmm.

I've opened a can of worms, here. Give me a minute.
    Last edited by Don Gwinn; 4/20/2006 11:21pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 11:27pm

Style: Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn
    Krav Guy, I mean no offense to you personally, but I am dumber for having viewed that link. Did you read it? If so, I regret to inform you that you are now, without doubt, dumber as well. I am truly sorry.

It was a like a 13-year-old made it up at Scholastic Bowl Practice. Walther PPK? Why? Because it was in the movies?
    Number one weapon of all time is. . . man? Well, yeah, if you ignore the definition of the world weapon, I suppose that might have seemed clever the first time someone said it circa 756 B.C. But then they go on to point out that the highest expression of man as weapon is. . . . wait for it. . . . . "Wing Chung!" That's right, because it was "Bruce Lee's original fighting style."
    Yes, I read the article which is why I posted the link. It sums up why these weapons were chosen to be on THEIR list. I was asked why the PPK was on the list so I decided to try and go to the source, this site being the closest I could find without calling the members of the panel at home and asking “why did you pick such and such, weapon x is so much better”

Their reason for picking the PPK was as follows: (As copied from the link, which sums up what was said on the tv show)

“It is the culmination of years of development, packed into one concealable, light-weight, semi-automatic pistol. The PPK's claim to fame include a fool-proof safety system, which is nice to know if you're going to be tucking one into your pants. The PPK was also the first, successful, double-action semi-automatic weapon.”

Also, if you read my original post I had asked what everyone thought of this list, if you agree, or if there’s something you think should be on the list instead. I never once said I agreed with their choices.

If you don’t agree, make your own list and post it here, since that was what this topic was all about in the first place.

(And I apologize if I’m a bit moody but I missed my training today and I’m fairly aggravated about it)

**** you math class

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 11:49pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, Ballet, Archery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Naming individual weapons as the greatest weapons of all time is retarded. In two hundred years, when high school students are sleeping through history class, are they going to be studying the impact of the PPK? **** no, they're going to be studying the impact of the plane, the machine gun, and other, general weapons that were completely fucking revolutionary.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 1:11am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you honestly debating over a show that listed Wing Chun as more deadly then a Tommy gun?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 1:59am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No. 6. War Boomerang

We all know the boomerang as an amusing toy but, the returning boomerang has an altogether more blood-thirsty use. It's easy to dismiss the boomerang as a quaint Australian weapon system that has no relevance, but it's hugely important because it goes back to the dawn of history and has an equivalent in most civilisations around the world.

In Scotland, Richard Ogilvy makes authentic boomerangs using, as far as possible, the original Aboriginal woods and methods.
    to the best of my knowledge -

1. boomerangs used for hunting DID NOT RETURN. how can it return after it has hit something?

2. boomerangs were not commonly used for combat. perhaps it might have been used once in a blue moon, but spears are much better.

i think i remember something about using returning boomerangs to frighten birds into nets set up on a tree. but the boomerangs didn't actually make contact with anything, just caused the birds to fly in a certain direction.

otherwise, i'm pretty sure that returning boomerangs were for fun. not certain about that though.

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 5:04am

Style: Boxing, Solar Ray Attack

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danno
    to the best of my knowledge -

1. boomerangs used for hunting DID NOT RETURN. how can it return after it has hit something?
    when the guy you hit with it brings it back to beat your ass
    http://woodwardswhiskey.wordpress.com/

He was punching him like the collective karmic debt he'd accrued was coming to collections, mostly on his face.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 7:08am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGA JESUS-SAN
    Longbows suck, recurves are more efficient. The English were the only archer culture who used longbows, all the other ones used recurves.
    Longbows did, however, have one massive advantage over recurves. They didn't tend to fall to pieces when they got wet. The glues used to hold together the various layers of recurves were water soluble, generally fine if you're a Parthian, not so much if you're Welsh.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 7:54am

Style: Arnis, judo, Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

IT did cause us to think about it though

Quote Originally Posted by MEGA JESUS-SAN
    Naming individual weapons as the greatest weapons of all time is retarded. In two hundred years, when high school students are sleeping through history class, are they going to be studying the impact of the PPK? **** no, they're going to be studying the impact of the plane, the machine gun, and other, general weapons that were completely fucking revolutionary.
    I have to agree with you Mega. The idea of this list is stupid. But look at the source....the history/discover channel. These are the same people who tell us that Shoa Lin is the greatest martial art ever created......

By the way the PPK is a nice firearm.....Just not one of the greatest weapons ever created.
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast