230782 Bullies, 4959 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 12:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Limb Strikes

Striking from inside the guard. After watching alot of MMA matches, I see lots of attempts at head shots from inside the guard, but never any attacks on the limbs. What I would define this as, is in addition to escaping the guard the conventional grappling way, why not plant a few strikes to the insides of the thigh to loosen then up even further? Or if you're trying to sit/stand up and your opponent tries to pull you back down, why not strike the inside of the biceps with crossing punches to break their grip? Is it that this stuff just doesn't work/is too risky to use against highly trained fighters? Or do alot of people just not train in anything along those lines because the only proponents of it are RBSD/Wing Chun guys?

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 12:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In a pankration tourney, I had half guard tight on some dude and he kept striking my leg. I coulda held it all day. You really want generate much power in strikes from the ground, so they typically go for headshots because there is a higher chance of causing some damage (opening up cuts, possible KO).
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 1:18pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're kidding, right?

Punches inside the guard are not particularly damaging. They are cumulative.

Let's put it this way you try to hit my thigh. I try to hit your head. Who wins here?
    And trying to punch someone's bicep? OMG. Yeah. Try to hit that moving target. I guess it's better than aiming at Dim Mak #349, but the risk x effort vs reward is staggeringly inefficient.

When inside someones guard your best bet is to punch the other guy's face. Make him turn away and hopefully unlock his legs. Then you can either pass or stand to drop more bombs. Aiming for limbs or pressure points or whatever is just going to get your submitted or outstruck.

Loving Father

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 1:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KempoFist
    Striking from inside the guard. . . Is it that this stuff just doesn't work/is too risky to use against highly trained fighters?. . . the only proponents of it are RBSD/Wing Chun guys?
    It doesn't work for "them," either.

In most cases, these types of strikes can cause one to release
    a hold, or stop an attack, because they aren't trained in anything,
    or, are trained in offense, and have never been hit (ie: McDojo BBs).

Trained fighters get hit and punched all the time. One or two strikes
    is not going to do much, and you may not want to wait for a cumulative
    effect to sink in. Also, your brain typically is thinking "Hit the face!"

It's like the leg kicks. . .if you work at it, you can disable a guys leg
    by the third round of a fight. But, do you have the timeto wait?

If you deal in fantasy, and one-punch-KOs, then yeah, those
    should work the first time you make contact.

`~/

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 2:01pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 2:02pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great movie...

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 2:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    You're kidding, right?

Punches inside the guard are not particularly damaging. They are cumulative.

Let's put it this way you try to hit my thigh. I try to hit your head. Who wins here?
    And trying to punch someone's bicep? OMG. Yeah. Try to hit that moving target. I guess it's better than aiming at Dim Mak #349, but the risk x effort vs reward is staggeringly inefficient.

When inside someones guard your best bet is to punch the other guy's face. Make him turn away and hopefully unlock his legs. Then you can either pass or stand to drop more bombs. Aiming for limbs or pressure points or whatever is just going to get your submitted or outstruck.
    No I'm not saying that they are going to decide the fight, but they do seem to help you along with whatever your goal is. I am not advocating using them as your primary super-deadly tool to beat teh grappler, but I have used them in free-rolling matches in training and it seems to help out quite a bit.

As for striking the bicep, I don't try to hit them while they are a moving target, but I do however sink my hip in from inside the guard if they grasp one of my wrists/forearms (like when one tries to go for an armbar from the bottom) and I drop some strikes with my body weight behind it into their arms. Usually it ends with the other guy going "sonuvabitch!" and the match ends. These strikes work best when striking bareknuckle of course, but I've managed to pull them quite easily even with 4oz gloves on.

So basically what you guys are saying is that real, professional conditioned fighters will just shrug off these shots? And to Meex, leg strikes are used extensively in Muay Thai, and I find them quite useful as well. I don't aim at incapacitating their leg, but if I can get them to drop their guard slightly even momentarily so I can land a clean punch to the jaw I'll take it.

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 2:17pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KempoFist
    Striking from inside the guard. After watching alot of MMA matches, I see lots of attempts at head shots from inside the guard, but never any attacks on the limbs. What I would define this as, is in addition to escaping the guard the conventional grappling way, why not plant a few strikes to the insides of the thigh to loosen then up even further? Or if you're trying to sit/stand up and your opponent tries to pull you back down, why not strike the inside of the biceps with crossing punches to break their grip? Is it that this stuff just doesn't work/is too risky to use against highly trained fighters? Or do alot of people just not train in anything along those lines because the only proponents of it are RBSD/Wing Chun guys?
    Newbies try it all the time. I only woke up from my stupidity and stopped.

I think Yrkoon put it best.

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 2:21pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Low percentage versus high percentage. Every time you try something low percentage, you open yourself up to the other guy who's sticking to the fundamentals.

This thread has been deported.