Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 12:25pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meng_mao
    It's very well padded compared to a bag glove. And looking again, they seem to have a huge grip bar on them.
    Anything with a bar in it is a bag glove. It helps you make a proper fist better, protects your hand, and tends to hit harder as your hand has less give to it. It's the same idea as holding a roll of pennies while punching in a street fight. Needless to say, rolls of pennies and bag gloves with bars in the palm are not allowed in fights or sparring.

Some people like more padding, as it makes bag gloves have a similar feel to fight gloves and protects your hands against impact a bit more.

software engineer

Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 12:26pm

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno
    Anything with a bar in it is a bag glove. It helps you make a proper fist better, protects your hand, and tends to hit harder as your hand has less give to it. It's the same idea as holding a roll of pennies while punching in a street fight. Needless to say, rolls of pennies and bag gloves with bars in the palm are not allowed in fights or sparring.
    Is the free thumb just for convenience then?

Do you eat breakfast?

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger Second Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Champion

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 12:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never really understood the need for bag gloves. I just use my sparring gloves for bag work.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteranTagger Second Class50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Thread Killer

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 12:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    I've never really understood the need for bag gloves. I just use my sparring gloves for bag work.
    Bag gloves are soley designed to protect your hand. Sparring gloves are designed to help protect your sparring partner in addition to your hand.

Over time, using sparring gloves on a heavy bag will cause them to lose their ability to help protect your partner much quicker than the gloves will show visible signs of wear and tear. This is much more of a factor for heavyweights with serious knockout power. For the lighter weights and the "weekend warriors", it's just a bit of marketing.

Do you eat breakfast?

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger Second Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Champion

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 12:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My $30 sparring gloves seem to be just fine after a year of punching away. It would seem to me that using the heavier gloves for bagwork would be better anyway since it improves your hand speed a bit when you wear the lighter gloves in an actual match.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteranTagger Second Class50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Thread Killer

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 1:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    My $30 sparring gloves seem to be just fine after a year of punching away. It would seem to me that using the heavier gloves for bagwork would be better anyway since it improves your hand speed a bit when you wear the lighter gloves in an actual match.
    Gloves are a bit like running shoes in this respect. Cushioning gives out long before the gloves will show visible signs of wear. Have you ever whacked an old very heavy heavybag (100+ lbs) ? It's like a rock at the bottom. Somewhere at the point of about 2/3rds of it's life, that portion of the bag started causing chronic problems for the people who hit it there a lot and with real force. But you really couldn't tell when specifically that happened to the bag very clearly. It didn't get that way overnight.

True, heavier hand weight in training can help hand speed (within the context of a speed program). But, the weight will also change the mechanics of the punch a bit. There are 'light' heavybag gloves, and there are heavy pairs - up to 4 lbs a glove or more.

This is all not really any concern for most people because few are at a level of training where it becomes a significant factor. (We are talking about people whose trainers will count their punches in order to ensure the correct balance of balistic training.) Like I mentioned before, it's really just a bit of marketing. For most everyone and for most of the start of their career, I don't feel there are any real problems with using sparring gloves on your bag, either.

If you really want to have some fun, use some bag gloves while sparring. People will love you for that. They probably would prefer you to use your fight gloves. :smile:
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 4/21/2006 1:08pm at .

Middleweight

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 1:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, Kenjutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bag gloves are made of closed cell foam, while sparring gloves are made of open cell foam. Thus, in principle, you'll wear out the foam in a pair of sparring gloves, faster than you'd otherwise do so, with a pair of bag gloves. The danger is that over time, your sparring gloves are slowly failing, your hands are absorbing more and more of the punishment, and you don't realize that the damaging is accumulating, until "suddenly" you injury your hands.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 8:05pm

Style: I/L, Sayoc, Atienza FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    I asked a similar question on this board a while ago.

Since I didn't get a satisfactory answer, I underwent a long and careful analysis of the problem. I primarily used via the SWAG method of examining the differences in the pairs. My analysis is based on what I've personally seen and tried. :smile:

Conclusion: the only significant difference between gloves labeled "Muay Thai" and gloves labeled "Boxing" should be:

MT gloves sacrifice a very minor advantage of the Boxing gloves in making a more secure fist in order to allow the hands to open up a little bit easier. This allows the wearer to cup their hands and establish a better plum when using MT gloves.

Of course, due to marketing, I've also determined "Your Mileage May Vary" regardless of the label on the glove.
    SWAG? :confused: :5huh:

Administrator

Achievements:
    OverdriveTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsThree Friends3 months registered

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 9:53pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    Would it really be in my best interest to pick up a set of Muay Thai training gloves while training Muay Thai, or could I get by with my boxing gloves? And just to make this thread less retarded, how about some brands? Is the stuff at combat sports any good?

To answer your title question the answer is yes. If you need to purchase glove get ahold of me I'll get you a great deal on any oz you need. Gloves tend to come in the same fashion as clothes. If you shop smart you find the unbranded type that are just as good as the main styles. Windy, Fairtex and Waldorf are the best for Thai style gloves.

software engineer

Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 10:25pm

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken
    SWAG? :confused: :5huh:
    sophisticated wild-ass guess