Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 12:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Any real difference between MT gloves and Boxing gloves

Would it really be in my best interest to pick up a set of Muay Thai training gloves while training Muay Thai, or could I get by with my boxing gloves? And just to make this thread less retarded, how about some brands? Is the stuff at combat sports any good?
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 12:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The more I searched on the internet the less of a difference I saw. The only difference I thought there would be is that the MT gloves wouldn't come in 16oz, but they do so it's a moot point.

I picked these up for boxing after getting hit by them a couple of times:
    http://www.ringside.com/DETAIL.ASPX?ID=25232

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 1:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    combat sports has GREAT gloves.

i have a pair of windy 14oz muay thai gloves that i got in thailand, and they are nice, but i like my combat sorts (american style) 14oz gloves better. i have seen the combat sports 14oz thai style gloves and they are indistingushable from the windy ones in my opinion.

the reason that i like the american style ones better is that they have an elastic sleeve thatpulls down over the velcro to avoid velco burn on your training partners in the clinch. however that makes them hard to put on by yourself.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 3:29pm

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never seen a real difference, personally. I've owned Thai and International style gloves, and there is nothing stylistically that I can point to. The only true differences are the stylistic differences between glove manufacturers, not in the actual use of the glove

('._.)

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 10:06pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

These are the gloves I use, I prefer 10oz. I saw the same brand used in K-1 once so I guess thats a sign of quality.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 12:18am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    as far as i know... in general 14oz or 16oz gloves are used in training, and 8oz, 10oz or 12oz are used in a fight, depending on the size of the fighters, and whether they are amatuer or pro.

no **** YOU prefer the 10oz ones... you're not the one being hit with them, but if you train with the bigger ones, you can hit harder in sparring, and then in a fight, you are that much faster and hit that much harder with the smaller gloves.
    Last edited by Ming Loyalist; 4/21/2006 12:42am at .
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

software engineer

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 1:44am

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a pair of gloves that my friend got for fun in Thailand.
    They have loose/free thumbs. Is that normal?

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 2:03am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meng_mao
    I have a pair of gloves that my friend got for fun in Thailand.
    They have loose/free thumbs. Is that normal?
    I think those are more of a bag glove. I know you aren't allowed to fight with enything like that, and they won't even let spar in my gym with those.

software engineer

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 3:29am

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ojgsxr6
    I think those are more of a bag glove. I know you aren't allowed to fight with enything like that, and they won't even let spar in my gym with those.
    It's very well padded compared to a bag glove. And looking again, they seem to have a huge grip bar on them.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 11:05am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I asked a similar question on this board a while ago.

Since I didn't get a satisfactory answer, I underwent a long and careful analysis of the problem. I primarily used via the SWAG method of examining the differences in the pairs. My analysis is based on what I've personally seen and tried. :smile:

Conclusion: the only significant difference between gloves labeled "Muay Thai" and gloves labeled "Boxing" should be:

MT gloves sacrifice a very minor advantage of the Boxing gloves in making a more secure fist in order to allow the hands to open up a little bit easier. This allows the wearer to cup their hands and establish a better plum when using MT gloves.

Of course, due to marketing, I've also determined "Your Mileage May Vary" regardless of the label on the glove.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast