Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 11:49am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Villain
    Because killing your opponent is clearly the best option in your average brawl.

Anyways, sounds like you could ask your coach for some extra training in the missing areas sometime.
    Sorry, I forgot that I don't live on Streets of Rage Blvd. in Metro City. In my area, we don't have average brawls, just boss battles, and with those guys, the gun and knife doesn't deplete their whole health meter in one blow, so you know how it is =P
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 12:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    man, I'm like totally the opposite of this guy. My game is like 75% punching. Punching rules.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 1:41pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a puncher/leg kicker predominantly. I just love blasting away with the punches so much that opponents don't see that chopping leg kick coming. Punching well just sets up a lot of other techniques, and covers entries very nicely.

I'd just do some straight up boxing only for some of your training session. If you allow for everything, you'll just fall back on your strengths, and will never work on your weaknesses. Just force yourself to do it. Then, once you can hang with an opponent while just boxing, open it back up to allow other techniques.

Oh, and work your heavybag at least 3 times a week, with your hands only. It'll really smooth out your combos, improve your power, and help your handspeed.

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 2:22pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a straight up headbutter. I slam my head into anything my opponent throws at me.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 2:25pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TehDeadlyDimMak
    I'm a straight up headbutter. I slam my head into anything my opponent throws at me.
    Our styles are very similar.

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 4:04pm

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108
    Our styles are very similar.
    With your head, I can see why.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 6:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i used to think the same thing as the OP, but then i realised little white boys get their ass kicked on the street anyway and stopped caring

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 7:03pm

Style: Muay Thai, No Gi Judo/Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Khun Kao
    RogueSamurai has a good suggestion. If you're THAT concerned about your punching, join a Boxing club on the side. Just bear in mind that some of your body mechanics for punching in Boxing & MuayThai are different.

In Boxing, you often will drop your weight and SIT DOWN into your punches. In MuayThai, you usually remain more upright and punch more with your shoulder than your entire body.
    Yes, I belive that has to do with the fact that your hands are held higher intially looking through your guard and a less wide more square stance.

How the **** is it harder to clinch without gloves?
    through personal experience, ( this is talking about the Muay Thai Clinch meaning you only grab the upper part of your opponent) when some one is throwing a fury of punches and hooks parrying/blocking with 16 oz helps alot. Plus thier hands requires less space to puncture into shield, trapping thier arm is a lot easier also

Getting into the Clinch is harder without gloves but getting out of it is easier because you requrie less space to swim through and capture the inside of the opponents arms. With gloves you have to rely more on elbow pulling to make the space.

I do need more time with my instructor for punching skills, I have to learn to use punching more frequently. I do however use punching, but only to set up low/body kicks. Body/low kicks/clinch are my primary weapons even though I understand punching skills are essential. They work for me during sparing and even works againts taller opponents. Discard what isn't useful right?

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 10:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    urrr... plum clinching someone is way easier without gloves
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 10:26pm

Style: Muay Thai, No Gi Judo/Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do mean getting INTO the clinch, after that, clinching is much harder with gloves. IMO

But my opinion is not as valuable as yours. I still have a **** load to learn, its just seems easier to me to get into the clinch with gloves as of now.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast