Posted On:
    4/13/2006 6:22pm

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Tae Kwon Do doing 'MMA'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHlZoU7gYIY

This is apparently TKD students doing MMA. It is described as an introduction to things like 'boxing' and 'grappling', though they seem to be in the habit of kicking without proper head punches. Their instructor speaks of it as "entertaining and a bit funny." It certainly is as a video - I just wonder how much the students are getting out of it. Can any MMAers comment on the quality of his techniques?
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

('._.)

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 7:07pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its obvious that the only guy in that video who has cross-trained is the one with the black shirt. And guess what, he kicked everyones ass.

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 7:10pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSamurai
    Its obvious that the only guy in that video who has cross-trained is the one with the black shirt. And guess what, he kicked everyones ass.
    In other words: the teacher kicked his students' arses. 'At half speed,' as he put it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 7:24pm

Style: Shorin-Ryu/beginning Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DAYoung
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHlZoU7gYIY
    It is described as an introduction to things like 'boxing' and 'grappling'
    Not really. He says he spars at half speed because they have not a bit of experience boxing or grappling. He says the sparring itself was done just for shits and giggles.

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 7:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Daddy
    Not really. He says he spars at half speed because they have not a bit of experience boxing or grappling. He says the sparring itself was done just for shits and giggles.
    I think it is implicit that he is introducing them to boxing and/or grappling (otherwise: why mention it), but I take your point. The reasons for the 'half speed' are clear in the video, and in my post. My question remains this: who is having the 'shits and giggles'? It looks to me like the teacher is. Meanwhile, the students seem to be learning very little. If they are learning something in a sustained way (over and above their fun), then it is a shame it is not demonstrated here. If the students are aware that they are not benefiting, this is fine. If not, this is problematic.
    Last edited by DAYoung; 4/13/2006 7:34pm at .

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 7:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, why are you posting kyryllo's video from sherdog? http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=356065
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 7:45pm

Style: Shorin-Ryu/beginning Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DAYoung
    I think it is implicit that he is introducing them to boxing and/or grappling (otherwise: why mention it), but I take your point. The reasons for the 'half speed' are clear in the video, and in my post. My question remains this: who is having the 'shits and giggles'? It looks to me like the teacher is. Meanwhile, the students seem to be learning very little. If they are learning something in a sustained way (over and above their fun), then it is a shame it is not demonstrated here. If the students are aware that they are not benefiting, this is fine. If not, this is problematic.
    I'm just nitpicking. :biggrin: You said it was described as an introduction to boxing and grappling, when it was not. It said they had no experience boxing or grappling, which is a bit of a difference.

To answer your question, there's no way to tell whether or not the students are having fun or really benefitting from it. If you're curious, you should send him a message.

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 7:51pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by feedback
    Oh, why are you posting kyryllo's video from sherdog? http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=356065
    I found it on YouTube, and only searched Bullshido for earlier posts. Thans for the Sherdog link.
    Last edited by DAYoung; 4/13/2006 8:15pm at .

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 7:53pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm just nitpicking. :biggrin: You said it was described as an introduction to boxing and grappling, when it was not. It said they had no experience boxing or grappling, which is a bit of a difference.
    To clarify, I meant him introducing them to it, not them introducing the audiences to it. I think your pedantry still warrants posting though - I should have been clearer.

To answer your question, there's no way to tell whether or not the students are having fun or really benefitting from it. If you're curious, you should send him a message.
    Good idea. Done.

Given his background (which I saw on Sherdog - thanks, Feedback), he obviously knows what he's doing. Hopefully he can give me a little more context (e.g. is this just a one-off for fun, or will he teach them more techniques, were they expecting to learn techniques, or did they share the same assumptions about 'shits and giggles', and so on).
    Last edited by DAYoung; 4/13/2006 8:11pm at .

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 9:46pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is Kyryllo's reply:

"The whole training session and sparring was held with the intention to mix things up after some hard training weeks for several competitions. I do some stuff off of the standard tkd curriculum once in a while, but not more often than every 1-2 months. Some times it's ground work, some times it's boxing. Main aspect was grappling and improving of positions on the ground, not seen much of the latter ;). As the only one who realy knows what to do on the ground and in such a setting I sparred them too to show them how it should work. I offered them to go half force and speed but firstly they decliened and said I should go full speed, you have seen how the first fight ended, after that they accepted my offer. It was fun for every one. None of these guys is interested in becomming a MMA fighter, all of them are very determined in their TKD training, the two guys I fought are pretty tough and are upcomming national team members. But every one is happy to have a change up once in a while."

Pretty clarifying to me. It is a shame my Karete sensei did not show us proper grappling, even if only sporadically - apart from a few nage waza techniques, we were taught very little. Newaza consisted of rolling about exchanging headlocks.

Then I encountered Judo... (and have had my arse handed to me ever since).
    Last edited by DAYoung; 4/13/2006 9:49pm at .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast