Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/19/2006 8:27am

Style: Wrestling, BJJ, Kickboxin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Styles used in MMA

Okay, from what I have learnt, these are the styles that have been sucessful in MMA:
    Muay Thai
    BJJ
    Sport Sambo
    Wrestling
    Boxing
    Kickboxing
    Kykoshin Karate xtrained with boxing
    Shooto

Now, every UFC, NHB, MMA fighter generally uses a mix of these styles. My point is, these styles are all sports, or sports oriented, which is perhaps why these styles lend themselves so well to the MMA format.
    Im not defending any art that claims that their style is "for the street, not the ring" and so refuse to be tested but I wonder, is much of the effectivness of these arts due more to their training methods than the superiority of technique?

I supose a simple counter to this Idea is that Taekwondo is a sport based MA and still sucks balls. But TKD aside, cause its not even worth counting as an MA.

Let me pose the question another way: Could a more traditional art (perhaps a style of kung fu or Karate) be salvaged and used as an effective art if training methods were corrected?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/19/2006 8:35am

Style: Shijando

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sanda is a good alternative methinks. yea i know all that **** about sanda being kickboxing with side kick but it is an art quite different from the rest. or at least as different as muay thai is from kickboxing. Sanda is basically using the best **** for sport from the traditional styles.
    Cung le is a good example to quote methinks. And im nutriding on him.

('._.)

Posted On:
    4/19/2006 8:36am

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Godhand88
    Let me pose the question another way: Could a more traditional art (perhaps a style of kung fu or Karate) be salvaged and used as an effective art if training methods were corrected?
    Then it would technically become a different art. Kyokishin Karate is basically a hardcore version of Karate that is practised in an alive manner and instead of point sparring people kick each others asses in a way that resembles real fighting. The Kung Fu guys have done the same by inventing Xanda. Both these arts have proven themselves in many types of competition. Technique does play a big factor as well. The reason Muay Thai fighters kick everyones ass because it uses the most effective types of kicks, knees, elbows and punches of all stand up fighting systems.
    Last edited by Draven; 4/19/2006 8:38am at .

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    4/19/2006 8:51am

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyone can jump into a MMA competition and call themselves any style of fighter they want. This is one of the reasons I enjoy debating with your average moron mcdojo goer online who thinks that by posting a clip of Ryo Chonan or Semmy Schilt they're going to prove that krotty works. Yet when I watch them fight, I see boxing combinations and muay thai techniques- nothing I, or anyone else has ever been taught in a strict krotty school.

Training methods are a part of particular styles. Changing the training method to be nearly identical of another style would change the style you're doing.

Let me give you an example- BJJ fighters and grapplers are notorious for having poor standup striking abilities. Now, if I decide to train a fighter as a boxer and show him jab, cross, hook, and uppercut combinations, hes no longer classified as a BJJ fighter but rather hes a boxer. In case you're wondering, this soudns an awful lot like Vitor Belfort.

Then all I have to do is dig up some old BJJ book that shows a Gracie demonstrating some kind of strike from the standing position, and I can talk about how BJJ has always had its striking element.

So, the bottom line is that if you have to incorporate another styles techniques and training regimes SO MUCH as to replace those of your original style, doesnt that kind of hint that theres something wrong about what you were doing in the first place?

For every traditional martial artist I've seen try to do MMA/K-1, almost all have cited that they started training in Muay Thai- I've never seen a Thai fighter talk about how he crosstrained in a traditional style to improve his striking.

You can call your style of fighting whatever you want- the name doesnt change the style and it wont change your results. As was said before, Ryo Chonan labels himself "karate" but throws boxing combinations and muay thai flavored kicks.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/19/2006 9:10am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Godhand88

*middle finger...

fucking newbs....

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32032

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/19/2006 9:14am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The reason "sport" styles do better/best is because there's money involved. Unless the rules dictate tradition, you can't afford to cling to an old fashioned and ineffective technique when there's something better.

TKD is different. It's a sport based around the style of TKD whereas boxing, for example, is the style that developed around the rules.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/19/2006 9:18am

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    stop, please. pretty please.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    4/19/2006 11:16am

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumby
    Let me give you an example- BJJ fighters and grapplers are notorious for having poor standup striking abilities. Now, if I decide to train a fighter as a boxer and show him jab, cross, hook, and uppercut combinations, hes no longer classified as a BJJ fighter but rather hes a boxer. In case you're wondering, this soudns an awful lot like Vitor Belfort.
    Actually, all you got to do is quote Helio. I've seen him say in a few interviews that nobody has the real gracie jiujitsu because they dont learn the stand up portion and just train for the ground and for sport. But I do get your point, however I wouldn't say a guy who did that is a boxer, I'd say he is a mixed martial artist. Sometimes he boxes, sometimes he does bjj.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    4/19/2006 11:19am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Null
    TKD is different. It's a sport based around the style of TKD whereas boxing, for example, is the style that developed around the rules.
    Wrong again.

The development of sport TKD mirrors the development of sport boxing.
    Last edited by Jiggle Butt; 4/19/2006 11:36am at .

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    4/19/2006 11:20am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    *middle finger...

fucking newbs....

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32032
    Omega has spoken. Prepare to take it up the ass while watching Legends of the Fall.
Page 1 of 10 1 2345 ... LastLast